Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

His & Hers Schwinn Varsity Deal

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-15, 10:37 PM
waterboy5281

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
His & Hers Schwinn Varsity Deal

My girlfriend's Chicago Schwinn got stolen, and I've been trying to find an adequate replacement as a gift. Came across this His/Hers pair. Asking $350 for both, which sounds way too high.

Description says that they are Schwinn Suburban 10 speeds the early '70s. All original except tubes & tires. I'd appreciate any thoughts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
00909_T2PDrMLBXT_600x450.jpg (48.2 KB, 23 views)
00D0D_92pSEZSoEuv_600x450.jpg (44.2 KB, 28 views)
Old 09-10-15, 10:54 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Cute pair of bikes.. Divide that in half, and it is about $175 each which isn't too bad.

The old Schwinns were pretty bomb proof. In theory the frame carries a lifetime warranty, although I don't think anybody will honor it today.

However, Schwinn kept with pretty basic straight tube high tensile steel frames for far too long, as other companies were moving to chromoly aircraft tubing, and double butted tubing.

Thus, the Schwinns can weigh 10 pounds heavier than many of their competitors, and it can be hard to find a lot of love for them among bike enthusiasts.

A 30 year old bike definitely needs a full tune-up including new grease throughout if it hasn't been done.

Anyway,it all depends on your riding goals. That bike would make an excellent "town bike" for short rides and trips to the store. It would get old quick for longer 10+ mile each way trips.
Old 09-10-15, 11:04 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by cliffordk
It would get old quick...
yup.

meanwhile, there's a motobecane listed on my craigs for $50 that just needs a rear derailleur.
Old 09-10-15, 11:14 PM
waterboy5281

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Anyway,it all depends on your riding goals.
Appreciate the insta-feedback. She's got a dedicated commuter and a road bike, so this would really only serve to fill the vintage hole in her collection. Probably useful for the occasional trip to work or to the nearest coffee shop -- about 3.5 miles.
Old 09-11-15, 12:10 AM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,255 Times in 1,311 Posts
It sounds too high, it is too high. You can throw a rock in Chicago CL and find a step-through, mixte, or small-framed road bike that's more reasonably priced. The Miyata would be my pick, but you should definitely talk to your girlfriend to narrow down the search criteria from the too-broad "casual, vintage bike."

[h=2]Miyata Two Ten Road Touring Bike 50cm - $100 (Oak Park)[/h]Miyata Two Ten Road Touring Bike 50cm

[h=2]Red Nishiki Bicycle for sale. Great shape, ready to ride! - $85[/h]Red Nishiki Bicycle for sale. Great shape, ready to ride!

[h=2]Schwinn Le Tour womens road bike - $130[/h]Schwinn Le Tour womens road bike

[h=2]Vintage Raleigh Sports Bike-Women's - $115 (Bartlett)[/h]Vintage Raleigh Sports Bike-Women's

[h=2] Women's Schwinn Traveler 10 Speed Bicycle - $50 (Cary)[/h]Women's Schwinn Traveler 10 Speed Bicycle
Attached Images
Old 09-11-15, 11:27 AM
waterboy5281

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a '62 Schwinn Traveler that I've been watching, as well.

"All original parts except seat. Sturmey Archer 3-speed. Rides well but needs a tune. Rear brake needs adjusting since it has been outside the past few months. Front and rear lights work."

Asking $250, but I could probably beat that down a bit.

What's the word on these Travelers?
Attached Images
00d0d_dfDDl4vgbES_600x450.jpg (42.6 KB, 11 views)
00000_lJ7uJ6z8K4e_600x450.jpg (37.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 09-11-15, 10:38 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Moved from C&V to Appraisals.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 09-12-15, 06:55 AM
okane

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Bike shown looks to be in good condition.......

Originally Posted by waterboy5281
Here's a '62 Schwinn Traveler that I've been watching, as well.

"All original parts except seat. Sturmey Archer 3-speed. Rides well but needs a tune. Rear brake needs adjusting since it has been outside the past few months. Front and rear lights work."

Asking $250, but I could probably beat that down a bit.

What's the word on these Travelers?
Also has the generator light system and Schwinn approved rack which is a nice touch. Probably had a plastic Schwinn head badge removed (or broken) as a nice one will bring about $50.

It is not a "collectible" bike......too many made and step thru frames rarely bring much money.

If you're getting it to ride, you will need to clean, repack, and properly adjust all bearing surfaces as 55 year old grease ain't gonna cut it! (except for the SA hub which probably only needs some fresh oil...plenty of internet info on this. Same with new brake pads, tires, and perhaps cables.

Without the badge in my area you would have problems getting $100 with new tires, good paint, and all the work listed above done. Ask me how I know.

You can probably pickup one of the newer but similar bike such as a Breeze for a lot less but it will still need maintenance.

Both bikes are heavy, built like a tank, and comfortable to ride on relatively flat surfaces. I like them for what they are, well build American made machines from the past. I have 2 Speedsters which I believe is the straight bar equivalent of the step thru frame descendant Traveler. Note that Schwinn used the name on other bikes and specs/collectivity will vary on these.

Bottom line, this spring I bought step thru Traveler for $10 (with the badge) in fair condition. That was an exception but not by much. I got it to use for parts as it had a 2 speed kickback hub.

One final note, being outside for months is not good thing......for $250 I'd want it serviced, waxed, with exceptionally nice paint and chrome along with new tires, etc., and no rust from sitting outside. Of course prices may be different in your area.

For comparison the pic is of a Breeze I purchased last spring for $60.

Forgot to mention: Your Traveler will take a special Schwinn size 1 3/8 (597) tire. This is different for the much more common 1 3/8 (593 I believe) tire. Only the 597 will fit....order on line or at good lbs.....NOT at wally world.
Attached Images
Breeze 003m.jpg (101.6 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by okane; 09-12-15 at 07:03 AM.
Old 09-12-15, 05:00 PM
marius.suiram 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 110 Posts
I wouldn't pay 350$ for the pair. I don't know where are you from, but around here these are much cheaper.
I am flipping bikes, probably 15...20 of them are this kind of 3, 5, 10 speed comfort Schwinn's. Probably the most expensive sold was a pair of Le Tour Tourist in mint condition for 300$ and bought for 120$ (with Bluemels fenders).
Usually I am selling them for 100...120.
But I am buying them for 30...50$. Need a little work, like every old bike, cleaning, tires, cables.
Yesterday I bought a ladies Suburban, 10 speed for 35$ with good tires.