Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Cross country tour question

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-16, 03:05 PM
Currinbrandon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I hope this is in the right place, if not I'm sorry punish me accordingly....

I'm planning a trip around/across the USA on bike I know of a few routes that are safe(ish) for bicycling, but a majority is unknown....

I know this might get a little or Alot of flack, but I'm kind of a technophile, so I'll be traveling with some gear, mainly my cell and camera...

Now to the point, apologies for the length....

Is there an app(Android) that is dedicated to bike routes or does anyone know of the accuracy of the Bike feature on GOOGLE MAPS?
Old 05-18-16, 04:29 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Have you checked with the Touring forum? I'm sure you'll get loads of help there.
Old 05-18-16, 04:45 PM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Adventure Cycling Association has some routes and maps, you may want to start there.
https://www.adventurecycling.org
Old 05-18-16, 08:37 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Moved from General to Touring.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 05-19-16, 07:24 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,572 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by Currinbrandon
I know this might get a little or Alot of flack, but I'm kind of a technophile, so I'll be traveling with some gear, mainly my cell and camera...

Now to the point, apologies for the length....

Is there an app(Android) that is dedicated to bike routes or does anyone know of the accuracy of the Bike feature on GOOGLE MAPS?
On a sliding scale, based on what I have read in this forum, that's not a lot of tech gadgetry.

Google Map's bike function has its limitations, especially in the west. It will sometimes route you on unpaved roads and even roads that are not really fit for riding. Example: I played around with it while planning a tour in South Dakota. At one point it picked a road that deteriorated into a rough track with tall weeds growing in the middle hump. Street View was available for this road up to a point so I could see the condition. I suspect the Google car eventually stopped and back up or turned around once the condition got too rough.

Definitely look into ACA's routes, especially if you are going solo and want to meet others (their Trans America route is very popular), but there is also nothing wrong with coming up with your own. It just takes more work unless you want to wing it.