Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Why helmets are the last thing we should be worrying about

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Why helmets are the last thing we should be worrying about

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-16, 03:23 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyOne
Good article. This graphic sums it up well:

There's a reason that people in the U.S. who wear helmets are 9 to 13 times as likely to be killed riding a bicycle as those in The Netherlands, Denmark, and many other countries who do not wear helmets. We focus on the wrong things. They built infrastructure, we promoted vehicular cycling, bicycle driving, and helmets.
What is the logic here?

Are Americans who do not wear helmets 9 to 3 times less likely to be killed riding a bike? If it is not likely you will be killed riding a bike (i.e., to be expected, probable), what is, 9 to 13 times as likely to be killed riding a bicycle equate to? If it is likely you will be killed riding a bike, what is, 9 to 13 times as likely to be killed riding a bicycle equate to?

Do you mean there are 9 to 13 times more bicycle fatalities in the US than in Denmark or the Netherlands, each of which is about 16K sq. miles?

The US bicyclist death rate for 2012 was ~2.3 /1 million. Shouldn't we compare the "rate" because Denmark and Netherlands are not very big--i.e., they're less than a 6th the size of Oregon.

New Hampshire and Vermont together are more square miles than either Denmark or the Netherlands. The average annual number of bike deaths in NH and VT together from 2010 to 2012 was 1/year.

In Denmark, 54 cyclists were killed in traffic in 2008. With a population of ~5.6 million, that equates to nearly 10 deaths /million... about what you see in Oregon which is much larger and thousands of people come from around the world to ride bikes there for hundreds of miles.
Old 05-18-16, 03:46 PM
Jaywalk3r

Bikes: I own N+1 bikes, where N=0.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
What is the logic here?

Are Americans who do not wear helmets 9 to 3 times less likely to be killed riding a bike? If it is not likely you will be killed riding a bike (i.e., to be expected, probable), what is, 9 to 13 times as likely to be killed riding a bicycle equate to? If it is likely you will be killed riding a bike, what is, 9 to 13 times as likely to be killed riding a bicycle equate to?
Generally such comparisons adjust for bicyclist populations in an appropriate manner, addressing concerns such as yours.
Old 05-18-16, 03:46 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Quiet Time
Do you wear a helmet while crossing a busy street? Driving? Same logic applies.

Another point I haven't seen anyone bring up is the fact that cyclists wearing helmets both tend to subconsciously take more risks (false sense of security), and are subconsciously perceived by drivers to be less vulnerable (false sense of protection and competence). Both of these factors undoubtedly increase your risk of being in a serious accident. The least likely person to be injured in a cycling accident is a girl wearing a skirt/dress, sandals and no helmet, riding at 6-7 km/h.
Just how likely is said girl to ride 12 miles either way, during rush hour, on mixed multi-lane arterial roads with traffic speeds of 45MPH and 55MPH? Ain't stats fun...
Old 05-18-16, 03:52 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by Jaywalk3r
Generally such comparisons adjust for bicyclist populations in an appropriate manner, addressing concerns such as yours.

That sounds really good until you learn that, "most published research findings are false." [See, Ioannidis JPA (2005) PLoS Med 2(8): e124]
Old 05-18-16, 04:12 PM
Jaywalk3r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That sounds really good until you learn that, "most published research findings are false." [See, Ioannidis JPA (2005) PLoS Med 2(8): e124]
If you're restricting your "research" to PLoS, then perhaps. But in general, not true at all.
Old 05-18-16, 04:23 PM
McBTC

Denmark and the
Netherlands have the
highest percentages
of cyclist fatalities in
the total number of
road accident
fatalities.

Old 05-18-16, 04:51 PM
Jaywalk3r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Denmark and the
Netherlands have the
highest percentages
of cyclist fatalities in
the total number of
road accident
fatalities."

https://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_s...3-cyclists.pdf
You're making the exact same mistake you were worried others made. We expect exactly that pattern to show up in the data, because they have the highest percentage of bicyclists on the streets. They're still among the, if not the, safest countries in which to ride a bicycle.

A much more useful figure for safety comparisons between bikes and automobiles in various countries would be proportion of bicycle fatalities divided by proportion of miles traveled by bicycle.

A comparison of cycling safety between countries would be better to use the number of bicyclist fatalities per million miles traveled by bicycle.

In both comparisons, I suspect Netherlands and Denmark, and certainly Amsterdam and Copenhagen, would prove to be very safe for bicyclists.

Last edited by Jaywalk3r; 05-18-16 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-18-16, 04:59 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by Jaywalk3r
You're making the exact same mistake you were worried others made. We expect exactly that pattern to show up in the data, because they have the highest percentage of bicyclists on the streets. They're still among the, if not the, safest countries in which to ride a bicycle.
Except for all of the other EU countries?

“EU countries with the highest percentage of cyclist fatalities in 2008 were The Netherlands (with around 21%) and Denmark (with around 13%). In contrast, in Greece and Spain cyclists constitute only a small part (<2%) of road accident fatalities. Luxembourg is excluded because of its low number of cyclist fatalities.” (Ibid.)

Of total US traffic fatalities, the average bicyclist death rate in the US was 2.3% in 2013. The highest rate cyclist fatalities involve older riders (55 to 59). Most bicycle fatalities involve males and apparently ~Ľ of them had been drinking alcohol (BAC of .01 or greater). So, age, gender and alcohol involvement are major factors in cyclist fatalities.
Old 05-18-16, 05:02 PM
Jaywalk3r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Except for all of the other EU countries?

“EU countries with the highest percentage of cyclist fatalities in 2008 were The Netherlands (with around 21%) and Denmark (with around 13%). In contrast, in Greece and Spain cyclists constitute only a small part (<2%) of road accident fatalities. Luxembourg is excluded because of its low number of cyclist fatalities.” (Ibid.)

Of total US traffic fatalities, the average bicyclist death rate in the US was 2.3% in 2013. The highest rate cyclist fatalities involve older riders (55 to 59). Most bicycle fatalities involve males and apparently ~Ľ of them had been drinking alcohol (BAC of .01 or greater). So, age, gender and alcohol involvement are major factors in cyclist fatalities.
That doesn't address the problem with your numbers. See the edits in my previous post.
Old 05-18-16, 05:05 PM
McBTC

By your logic China may be the safest place in the world to ride, despite the phenomenal death rate among cyclists there.
Old 05-18-16, 05:09 PM
Jaywalk3r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By your logic China be the safest place in the world to ride, despite the phenomenal death rate among cyclists there.
Not at all. By my logic, statistics should be used appropriately, and not taken out of context in a futile attempt to lend support to an erroneous argument, which is what you're trying to do.
Old 05-18-16, 05:12 PM
McBTC

You said above that, "I suspect Netherlands and Denmark, and certainly Amsterdam and Copenhagen, would prove to be very safe for bicyclists..." I suspect not.
Old 05-18-16, 05:20 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Whereabouts in Canada is there a mandatory helmet use law for adults? I know there is NOT one in Ontario, Canada.

Cheers
I'm not sure about each province (and I'm too lazy to look that up) but here in BC helmet use is mandatory for adults and has been for quite a while.
Old 05-18-16, 05:31 PM
Jaywalk3r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You said above that, "I suspect Netherlands and Denmark, and certainly Amsterdam and Copenhagen, would prove to be very safe for bicyclists..." I suspect not.
Your source shows that the percentage of traffic fatalities that are bicyclists hovers around 20%, slightly higher some years, slightly lower others. On the other hand, a quick serach reveals that in the Netherlands, bicycling "has a modal share of 27% of all trips (urban and rural) nationwide." Since .20 < .27, this strongly suggests that bicyclists have fatalities at a rate lower than average among all road users in the Netherlands. Do you really believe that the same can be said of cycling in the US? The UK? Canada?
Old 05-18-16, 05:43 PM
McBTC

"The proportion of female cyclist fatalities was highest in the Netherlands (41%), while it was 7% or less in countries like Spain, Romania and Slovenia. Across the EU countries, over one third of cyclist fatalities were at least 60 years old (37%)."

Add to these facts that there have been zero cyclist fatalities in Vermont. What conclusions can we draw from these facts? Do they mean that apparently no women over 60 years old ride bikes in Vermont?

If you do not start out with a preconceived notion of what you want or expect to find, you can probably make a case for something or another out of these facts.
Old 05-18-16, 05:54 PM
Jaywalk3r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"The proportion of female cyclist fatalities was highest in the Netherlands (41%), while it was 7% or less in countries like Spain, Romania and Slovenia. Across the EU countries, over one third of cyclist fatalities were at least 60 years old (37%)."
You'r making the same mistake again. Either you're intentionally being intellectually dishonest, or you have such a poor understanding of statistics that you should really try to avoid using them.

Add to these facts that there have been zero cyclist fatalities in Vermont. What conclusions can we draw from these facts? Do they mean that apparently no women over 60 years old ride bikes in Vermont?
Flip a fair coin three times, and it comes up heads three times. From this should we assume that the fair coin has no tails side? Vermont is a small, low population state. Your sample size is too small to be useful.
Old 05-18-16, 05:56 PM
McBTC

That's the second ad hom attack and I suspect they won't be your last.
Old 05-18-16, 06:03 PM
Jaywalk3r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's the second ad hom attack and I suspect they won't be your last.
You might want to check your definitions. I pointed out the error in your reasoning and provided two plausible reasons you were making it repeatedly. Thats not an ad hominem attack.
Old 05-18-16, 06:23 PM
deapee
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Is it really less dangerous to walk across a street vs. riding a bike? I'm not sure, but I'd be willing to be corrected if there's some evidence. My own anecdotal evidence is that certain situations walking are MUCH more dangerous than riding a bike. For example, in my 60 or so years of life I've fallen on hard floors or pavement - icy pavement and wet floors especially, but also just tripping - many times and really hit my head hard at least a few times. I will admit that slipping on wet surfaces or ice is the usual culprit. But I've NEVER fallen and hit my head riding my bike, not when I was a kid, not as an adult. Never. I've skinned my legs, hips, etc. but never my head. I've never worn a helmet walking even though I think it's equally dangerous, especially in the rain or in winter.

So I agree, it's inconsistent to have an unrealistic view of the dangers of riding a bike compared to the risk of head injury with other common activities (walking, driving).
The only inconsistent thing I see there is you using one person (yourself) who may, or may not, be clumsier than the average person as their ENTIRE sample size, and thus concluding that another person's opinion was inconsistent.
Old 05-18-16, 06:43 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
Walking head injury rates are extremely suspect when used to compare to bicycling head injury rates.

First of all, the basic fall rates that include walking are skewed by infants and elderly who, --- let's face it --- fall more than healthy people between 15 and 50 years of age. It's also hard to extrapolate other factors within the category, such as icy sidewalks in northern winters, tripping while walking in the dark, the effects of alcohol, etc.

Ignoring the data, I suspect that a healthy adult cyclist is more likely to have a head injury on the bike vs. while walking, though the incidence of either are extremely low, more in the range of freak accidents than normal, predictable risk.

So, while I'm neither a helmet advocate, nor user, I don't support the argument that helmets are less indicated for biking than walking (or driving a car), and consider the "relative risk" debate a distraction from consideration of actual risk, and the degree to which helmets reduce it.

IMO - the head injury risk to a reasonably skillful and careful cyclist is acceptably low, and helmets offer limited improvement to that already low risk. It's that "ONLY SLIGHTLY LOWERS AN ALREADY LOW RISK", logic that is at the core of my (personal) decision to go without.

Like the original writer's risk management pyramid, I prefer to focus on reducing the accidents that may cause head injuries rather than focusing on the consequences of those accidents. Of course some may rightly say we should do both, and I can't fault them in their opinion, even though we disagree.

BTW - if friends or family members ask me whether they should wear a helmet, my short answer is yes, and the longer answer is, "if you're asking, you lack the experience to make your own decision, so wear a helmet until you decide that it's not necessary for yourself".

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 05-18-16 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-18-16, 07:46 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
BTW - if friends or family members ask me whether they should wear a helmet, my short answer is yes, and the longer answer is, "if you're asking, you lack the experience to make your own decision, so wear a helmet until you decide that it's not necessary for yourself".
People actually ask you if they should wear a helmet?

The only question I have ever heard asked is "Why aren't you wearing a helmet?"

In my experience, nobody who asks any questions about helmet wear has any doubt whatsoever that a helmet should be worn.
Old 05-18-16, 07:53 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts

If you do not start out with a preconceived notion of what you want or expect to find, you can probably make a case for something or another out of these facts.
By your logic China may be the safest place in the world to ride, despite the phenomenal death rate among cyclists there.
I hear that Antartica is a safe bicycling paradise for BF's deep thinkers. All that land mass and so few bicycling accidents.
Old 05-18-16, 08:08 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
People actually ask you if they should wear a helmet?.....
Once again you're resorting to strawman arguments.

I said "when friends or family...ask...". You return "People actually ask you if they should wear a helmet?", which implies something different.

So discounting that my friends and family members are people too, - No, "people" don't ask me, except once in a long while. Most of what I get isn't about "why...?" but the semi sarcastic "where's your helmet?" from PC cyclists and even some motorists. Lately, my canned answer has been "same place as your manners".

Those who know me and may have genuine reasons for asking get the more complicated answer - that I consider bicycling safe enough that a helmet isn't warranted.

But I'm careful not to "sell" the idea that helmets aren't necessary because I don't want to buy into perceived responsibility for anybody's injuries. As in "he'd have been OK if only he hadn't listened to that idiot FB!".

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 05-18-16 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-18-16, 08:26 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I went for a nice ride today. It was wonderful to get out. The weather here recently has really sucked. I wore half finger gloves today. I didn't need gloves... it wasn't cold. And it was still way too cool for my hands to sweat. But I wore the half finger gloves away... I didn't waste a single second thinking about it.

I didn't think about cycling glasses, sock style, jersey color, water bottle content or anything else trivial or debatable. I just wore the standard traditional kit... helmet included... and I enjoyed my ride.

Besides.... my wife depends on me being healthy (and alive). And being a practical and pragmatic person... she insists I wear a helmet.
Old 05-18-16, 08:41 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We have a thread just for helmet pro/con discussion: https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-s...hread-2-a.html

Thread closed.

Forum Guidelines *click here*