Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-23, 04:25 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
I’m baaack!

I’m back with a vengeance!
Bunch of MYB’s brought back to spec…
Bringing out the racing, touring bicycles now.
As I have said before, most of these bicycles have been over-serviced over the years for weekend family rides on the Cape Cod Canal and just need a, “topping off” so to speak…
The wheel bearings are like I just did them!
Park Tool grease hasn’t discolored or leaked out and

Love this Miyata LT1000!

Great riding Motobecane Grand Touring!

May be original or at least period tires! Not going to ride any further than I’m willing to walk home with these! Just a great riding old school bicycle!

stained the hubs!
Also letting the bicycles sit in the hot Florida sun seems to get their, “juices” flowing again!
More bicycles coming!

Last edited by billnuke1; 10-29-23 at 05:09 PM. Reason: More words
Likes For billnuke1:
Old 10-29-23, 05:42 PM
MrGastrognome
Quasi homeostatic system

Bikes: '81 Fuji America, '82 Team Fuji, '85 Nishiki Bel Air, '98 Klein Stage Comp R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 74 Posts
'81 Fuji America

Front rack install, swapping non aero brake levers for aero, spring actuated ones, new cable housing and replacing everything black for silver and tan.

Last edited by MrGastrognome; 10-29-23 at 05:47 PM.
Likes For MrGastrognome:
Old 10-29-23, 06:27 PM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Today I changed the brake pads on the Dia-Compe 980 caliper brakes on my Voyageur. I'd been having trouble finding Kool-Stop pads for them as they are the 53mm long blocks that came on those sets. I contacted Kool-Stop and they got right back to me. The Scott Mathauser Cantilever Insert pad's dimensions (KS-SMCANT) do not show on their website but they sent them to me. Perfect fit. With liberal use of Isopropyl alcohol in the joints between the old pads and the aluminum body and a hammer and drift pin I could slide the old hard pads out. A bit more alcohol on the new pads and I slid them right in. Easy.

These brake shoes came with a tab bent down on both ends so I pried one end back then bent it down on each shoe. I then bent that tap back and forth to break it off. Filed the rough edge smooth. The photo shows how I drive the old, hard pad out of the shoe: clamp lightly in my vise and use a "drift pin". Yup, that's the spindle from a cheap pedal. Very hard, tough steel and the right feel for this sort of job. No, I don't normally hold it there with a wire. I only had two hands for the photo.

You'll see the rough edge in the photo below. You'll also see the original Dia-Compe pad next to the new Kool-Stop pad. I use that cheap (Craftsman) 1/4" chisel to bend the tab away from the old pad. I have good chisels for woodwork. Sample 980 cantilever arm to show the vintage I'm talking about: 80's

Finally I drool some alcohol on the new pad and slid it into place. The vise comes in again to make that a smooth operation.

Well, actual finally is reinstalling the shoes on the bike. I'll leave that to someone else as, I get it done but I'm not sure I've figured out the best way.
Likes For Prowler:
Old 10-29-23, 07:13 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Bert got new Kool-Stop pads 'n shoes, a longer stem and some immaculate Cinelli bars from one of you fine folks.

I'm getting pretty good at rewrapping bars with old tape ... as long as it's Fizik, I guess.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 10-29-23, 09:27 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 1,007 Times in 516 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Bert got new Kool-Stop pads 'n shoes, a longer stem and some immaculate Cinelli bars from one of you fine folks.
I'm getting pretty good at rewrapping bars with old tape ... as long as it's Fizik, I guess.
I change my bikes around so much that I have to reuse bar tape to keep the costs under control. For plastic based tapes, I found that hitting the stretched out tape with a heat gun on low will get it to relax and straighten back out. If the edges are tattered, I'll rewrap in the opposite direction to expose a fresh edge.
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 10-30-23, 07:11 AM
Tango1

Bikes: Dawes Super Galaxy, Cannondale Trail 3SL, Gardin TNT, Kuwahara Gravel Resto-Mod

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 68 Posts
Found a 22" 1990 Trek 970 - slowly rebuilding it over the winter / might commute with it once we're recalled to the office in January. I received it with all original Deore DX components and even the Matrix ATB tires from 1990.

I've stripped it down to the frame, found all the exposed metal / rust and sanded it followed by a UV resin overtop that I happened to have on hand for lure making, wash/polish/ceramic coated, and then rebuilt the headset.

Next is deciding if I modernize the drive train or not ... decisions decisions.
Likes For Tango1:
Old 10-30-23, 05:14 PM
Schreck83 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by Prowler
Finally I drool some alcohol on the new pad and slid it into place. The vise comes in again to make that a smooth operation.

I've had good results clamping the Koolstop pad in the vise (parallel to the jaws) and then sliding the holder onto the pad, using a block of softwood and a small hammer to persuade. This keeps the pad from bulging out before it enters the holder.

Old 10-31-23, 06:36 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,478 Times in 1,439 Posts
I haven't been doing any wrenching except as necessary. I'm working, and I'm in grad school full time. I barely sleep. I served for a bit at the Tour de Bronx a week ago, so I helped people when their bikes broken down. That's about it. Now I have a headache from lack of sleep. And miles to go before I sleep.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 10-31-23, 07:14 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 982 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I haven't been doing any wrenching except as necessary. I'm working, and I'm in grad school full time. I barely sleep. I served for a bit at the Tour de Bronx a week ago, so I helped people when their bikes broken down. That's about it. Now I have a headache from lack of sleep. And miles to go before I sleep.
Close the laptop and go to bed, Tom.

Likes For ascherer:
Old 10-31-23, 07:22 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,912 Times in 1,142 Posts
Tom,
Get your grades and quit working on having a social media presence! That will come after your graduation. Coach Dave from DePauw University golf team. Smiles, MH
Old 11-01-23, 09:47 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Gave this Torpedo Freilauf coaster brake hub a clean and overhaul, found some split 1/4" ball bearings. Tonight I'm going to build a wheel for the 1965 Gazelle A.

Last edited by JaccoW; 11-01-23 at 09:53 AM.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 11-01-23, 07:04 PM
Bergz
Bergz

Bikes: Woodrup, Avanti, no-name

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 51 Posts
New fork day!

I've been looking for a fork for my Woodrup since I got it as a rough frame without a fork. I've found and used various forks over the years but they have all been "racy" with short (370mm) crown race to dropout centre. Barely enough for a 30 mm tire, no clearance to add a mudguard.
Found this fork with 385mm clearance but it had a loose blade... Drilled out the pin holding the leg to the crown and separated them. Bit ugly looking but I intend to clean up the surfaces and jig up and re- braze. Should be fun.... cost only $5.00 so not a big loss if it doesn't work out.

Likes For Bergz:
Old 11-02-23, 05:30 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Modern aluminium 700C (622mm) replacement for the 28½" (635mm) for the Gazelle opafiets. Also added some gold pinstripes to the frame lock because why not.

Not as subtle as the original but those steel wheels were just rusting away unfortunately.

Likes For JaccoW:
Old 11-02-23, 07:48 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
I had an Imgur image load earlier today, not for these.
Old 11-02-23, 08:37 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by repechage
I had an Imgur image load earlier today, not for these.
What do you mean? I do use IMGur to host my images and often use large thumbnails on forums with a direct link to the high-resolution originals.
Old 11-02-23, 10:38 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
What do you mean? I do use IMGur to host my images and often use large thumbnails on forums with a direct link to the high-resolution originals.
presented a big Zonk with a deer image or something like that. Image not found or unavailable.

it is OK, I don’t use the platform.
Old 11-02-23, 05:37 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Took the brakes apart on my Takara project to clean them up and one of them was missing the bushing at the cable attachment point. While typing bushing into McMaster-Carr's search bar, I remembered I had some chain bushings in a crap box. Every time I think I need to cut down on crap boxes, I think how I may need some crap some day.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 11-02-23, 05:59 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,388 Times in 3,673 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
Took the brakes apart on my Takara project to clean them up and one of them was missing the bushing at the cable attachment point. While typing bushing into McMaster-Carr's search bar, I remembered I had some chain bushings in a crap box. Every time I think I need to cut down on crap boxes, I think how I may need some crap some day.

And you just never know when might be able to fabricate what you need out of something you have.

Granted it usually takes a huge pile to get lucky but it can save a crazy amount of time not having to go on an odyssey only to not find what you need.
Likes For merziac:
Old 11-02-23, 11:12 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,841 Times in 833 Posts
No photos - just rambling ranting.

This afternoon, I knew I had a long list of bicycle-repair-related things to do, but all of them seemed to have about the same moderate priority, so I was at a loss for which one to do first.

I finally figured I had to take that first bite out of the elephant somewhere, so I brought the bunny out for some sunshine and started sorting through the pile of bikes on the back porch to start pulling gummed-up shifters for ultrasonic cleaning. Instead, I was distracted by a bright red late 80s Giant Iguana with sun-bleached Accushift thumbies & attractive XCM components, so I put that one in the stand to see if I could harvest some useful components prior to rebuilding it later. This went OK, until I securely screwed my best puller into the shiny XCM crank and started turning, worked through the initial resistance, and then felt it loosen.

No - those small pieces of semicircular aluminum shavings coming out from around the puller told me something else had broken loose, and that that crank was on permanent assignment to that particular Giant, no matter what my plans might have been. Hoping the bunny wasn't deafened by my expletives, I tossed the parts back on that bike and stuffed it into the "next spring's projects" pile and turned to some different task that hopefully would go better.

I rolled the Ridekick e-trailer out because it seemed to have a slow leak on one side. I pried off the 12 1/2" tires, and it seems the right-side one was older than I anticipated - it practically fell apart as it was dismounted. I replaced the tubes with thorn-resistant ones, and found a decent replacement tire that looked like it could handle the loads.

Now I needed to find the leak in the pulled teeny tubes, so I filled the Bucket O' Tube Testing and dunked the tubes. A burble of bubbles located the leak in one of them, so I marked it for patching. And I figured since I have gone through the effort of filling the bucket, I might as well test the big bin of other tubes from last week's work at the nonprofit. Got through most of them, and then got out the patches, fluid, and the battery-powered mini-dremel and plopped patches on the ones that had holes.

Now it was well after dark, felt that I hadn't really finished anything, and the bunny was looking at me sideways. But I suppose I made some sort of progress. I think.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 11-04-23, 06:54 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1612 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,225 Posts
Friend dropped this Kestrel frame off that just got the parts bin build. Everything but the tape and cables were takeoff/extras. Ultegra 600 shifters, XT derailleur, Vuelta Pro wheels and a Cinelli FROG stem that's been around forever. Just needs a rider now.

Likes For curbtender:
Old 11-04-23, 07:33 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,841 Times in 833 Posts
Today at Recycle Your Bicycle we got a lot of work done. I pulled a number of sun-baked, smooshed, or otherwise distressed saddles from bikes for recovering. Many of them simply looked old or neglected, but one managed to become a bit of nightmare fuel.

"Let meee out of heeereee!"
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 11-04-23, 09:41 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
753 OS Land Shark (AKA: Hittori Hanzo) Update.

Frame alignment, the NDS chain stay was found to be 2.5mm out, resetting that proved to be... challenging. 753 is incredibly stiff 3 hours of tugging on it resulted in the frame coming into spec. The dropouts were stripped of paint, lapped flat, and aligned on the frame and fork. Frame alignment was verified many times during the process.
With that ordeal out of the way the rest of the prep details are underway.

Untitled by nemosengineer, on Flickr

Colnago (AKA: The Pink Panther) Update.

The original Colnago fork that came with the frame had been butchered by someone with a grinder who did not understand how the crown race interface worked... Against all odds I found a 100% correct replacement fork in nice condition in England on a Ebay auction and won for not totally insane money. The Colnago is now a official project, due to the outrageous pearl pink color outrageous hubs are required.

: Mike
Old 11-04-23, 11:14 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
^ Those hubs are ... wow! 😳
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 11-05-23, 07:33 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2935 Post(s)
Liked 2,930 Times in 1,495 Posts
I haven't been wrenching much lately, sort of waiting for.....well I don't really know why. I guess everything is running good and no reason to mess with it right?

I had been tinkering in the shop a few weeks ago trying to get my new BTV (bicycle Transport Vehicle) ready to roll. I almost forgot I had this saw as I never use and I remember whay, it loud, noisey and dangerous!

Phase one came out nicely, I think, but I strangely can't find my Bovine "Bike Tite" carriers. I ended up buying a NOS one from the 'bay but want at least one more.

I set it slightly different from how I had my BTVs in the past giving me another, but harder to access,seat.

Turns out despite doing almost all the work recomended to me over the last few years no one bothered to mention that Morticia had a severe rust issue in the front section of the frame. I passed her along to a gentleman who thought he and his brother could fix her up and give her a nice home.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 11-05-23, 09:26 AM
Schlafen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
753 OS Land Shark (AKA: Hittori Hanzo) Update.

Frame alignment, the NDS chain stay was found to be 2.5mm out, resetting that proved to be... challenging. 753 is incredibly stiff 3 hours of tugging on it resulted in the frame coming into spec. The dropouts were stripped of paint, lapped flat, and aligned on the frame and fork. Frame alignment was verified many times during the process.
With that ordeal out of the way the rest of the prep details are underway.

Colnago (AKA: The Pink Panther) Update.

The original Colnago fork that came with the frame had been butchered by someone with a grinder who did not understand how the crown race interface worked... Against all odds I found a 100% correct replacement fork in nice condition in England on a Ebay auction and won for not totally insane money. The Colnago is now a official project, due to the outrageous pearl pink color outrageous hubs are required.

: Mike
Can confirm, these hubs are outrageous.
Likes For Schlafen:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.