Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Road bike with straight handle bars

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Road bike with straight handle bars

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-23, 09:32 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
I have never been a fan of drop bars, and now at age 70 even less so. I have one remaining drop bar bike, and I am thinking I will either get rid of it or convert it so some kind of flat or swept bar arrangement.
It is actually a cross bike, so fairly relaxed geometry and clearance for large tires, so I think it will work.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 12-21-23, 10:48 AM
Trueblood

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 29 Posts
I have swapped out drop bars for the VO Postino on a few bikes. https://velo-orange.com/collections/...ndlebar-22-2mm
Not entirely flat, somewhat swept back - I find that they provide a somewhat more ergo feel than straighter flat bars.
Old 12-21-23, 02:21 PM
Jay Turberville

Bikes: 1995 Trek 990 (configured for road), Hotrodded Dahon folder, Trek 1400 (not ridden any more), Iron Horse 3.0 homebrew e-bike, 1984 Trek 770 (trying to resurrect)

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
One thing I've been guilty of in the past is taking a perfectdly good bike and altering it to be something else, and in the process spending more money that it would've cost to just get the bike I wanted. Converting road bars to flat bars might be in that category. New bars, stem, shifters... then worrying about whether the derailleurs are compatible with the new shifters... I mean, if you've already got the parts in your shop, it'd be OK; but maybe getting an N+1 is justified here.
Yeah. What I've actually done is the opposite - turned a flat bar bike into more of a road bike. That's involves mostly a tire swap, handlebar mods ... and maybe a new cassette (fairly cheap).
Old 12-21-23, 07:46 PM
Jay Turberville

Bikes: 1995 Trek 990 (configured for road), Hotrodded Dahon folder, Trek 1400 (not ridden any more), Iron Horse 3.0 homebrew e-bike, 1984 Trek 770 (trying to resurrect)

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
One thing I've been guilty of in the past is taking a perfectdly good bike and altering it to be something else, and in the process spending more money that it would've cost to just get the bike I wanted. Converting road bars to flat bars might be in that category. New bars, stem, shifters... then worrying about whether the derailleurs are compatible with the new shifters... I mean, if you've already got the parts in your shop, it'd be OK; but maybe getting an N+1 is justified here.
Your comment made me think of this 1984 Trek 770 that I've been fiddling with. I'm thinking of going full "resurrect" on it but figured I'd experiment with an alternate bar setup since I don't want to ride drop bars. The question is whether its worth the trouble to strip and paint the frame - cuz the frame really needs that.

This scheme lets me keep the Campy brake levers and I only have to spend $15 for the additional inline levers (not strictly necessary, but I think a good idea) and a bullhorn track handlebar. I'd think this would work well for shifters integrated with brake levers as well. Please ignore the right side cable routing. I cut a cable too short. Besides this is mostly a proof of concept. I'll take the bike on a ride tomorrow and see what I think. Seemed good zipping around the neighborhood.

Likes For Jay Turberville:
Old 12-21-23, 11:50 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
The OP could go for any sort of bar and a full clip-on aero-bar set-up with arm rests, which might allow him to take all his weight off his hands at times. I don't know a lot about RA but for a while I had arthritis symptoms in my shoulders and taking weight off them was a positive.
Old 12-22-23, 08:50 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,034 Posts
Just for the sake of clarity, it's not necessary to go all wacky with odd bars and vintage bar ends in order to get additional hand positions on flat bars. Rick linked to a couple of flat bars with built-in extensions, but there are also at least a couple of "inside bar ends," e.g. from SQ Labs and SpirGrips, that can be added to a flat bar to easily add another handhold.

I use SQ Labs Innerbarends quite happily in a comparatively conservative setup:

It allows me to "get narrow" and close up that box between my arms and in front of my chest, to the extent that it really feels faster and so I use it quite a lot for open road cruising. I often ride dirt roads on the pictured setup as well, and the Innerbarends are not spaced so narrowly as to make for sketchy control on those roads.

These are the basic 410 models which weigh in at 110g or so, but there is a superlight, carbon fiber model 411R, that weigh a scant 40g. I actually have a pair of the 411R I've never used; if anyone is interested to buy them, message me.
Old 12-22-23, 10:12 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Another option that might be helpful. Standard touring bars allow a shorter reach that may be a good riding position. I use these on an old MTB and keep the bars at or below saddle level, so the position is not necessarily very upright.

The levers are a bit forward of the grips to allow my hands to shift forward for some out of the saddle riding positions (depends on the incline). The forward bends are similar in location and use to the hoods position on a drop bar.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 12-23-23, 07:25 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 526 Posts
Most of my bikes are now upright or riser. Everyone says there are more positions for your hands with drop bar, might be true but I find my hands are always on the hoods.

Old 12-23-23, 12:33 PM
Jay Turberville

Originally Posted by bwilli88
Most of my bikes are now upright or riser. Everyone says there are more positions for your hands with drop bar, might be true but I find my hands are always on the hoods.
This is what I've observed with all of my friends who ride drops and most others I see on the road. The exceptions are the handful of triathlete types I see who do ride down on their aero bars with nice flat back. Been there. Done that. Not going back.
Old 12-23-23, 01:42 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked 1,632 Times in 1,048 Posts
Originally Posted by boomer58
...I have been dealing with Rheumatoid Arthritis among other hand issues and I'm wondering if switching to a road bike that has flat or straight handle bars would relieve some of the pain I am experiencing...
Going to straight bars most likely will not help you on a road bike unless you are doing short rides or have transitioned from having straight bars in your bike history.

Exactly what problems are you having? What positions cause you the most pain? Are you using thick or thin bars? Where do you usually place your hands during your rides? Do you wear gloves and are they padded?

I went to Bull Horn bars after losing my ability to get into the drops...
Old 01-01-24, 09:49 PM
boomer58 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 17 Posts
I certainly appreciate all of your responses and advice. I have read through all of your post's at least twice and all of them offer some great advice. I just ordered the Aero Bars that Trakhack posted about on Amazon. I figured for $26.00 I can see if these help. The new medication has not really kicked in yet but I'll keep pushing forward and see how that goes. I know it's probably not much for you guys but I did 36.8 miles today and that is a good ride for me. I really felt it after not riding for 2 weeks. I have to get ready for the Tour de Cure coming up in March. Thank you again for all of your replies and Happy New Years everyone, boomer.
Likes For boomer58:
Old 01-04-24, 05:11 PM
flan48

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay Turberville
As others have said. Nobody here can really know what will work for you. These things are individual and personal. But I do think it is reasonable to suggest you try options with multiple possible hand positions. I think that most people will agree that the ability to change hand positions during a long ride is generally helpful in relieving hand fatigue. So it seems likely that this would help with RA as well. And the more options, the more likely it is that you will find a particularly good positions/grip that is easier on your RA.

I noticed that most road riders seldom use their drops and spend most of their time more upright on the hoods. So I started experimenting with flat bars and had the idea of using MTB bar ends toward the middle of the handlebar as mini aero bars. The idea was to provide an additional hand position and a narrow more aero position without having to bend over a lot. I finally ended up with the setup pictured below. Its an older Scott AT4-Pro MTB Aero bar with the bar ends added. I've found this to be a nice setup - for me. I don't want to get low and crane my neck up to see forward. I'm done with that.

I'm not suggesting that you try to copy this setup. But I do encourage you to experiment. It seems that there are more and more handlebar options available these days as more and more people find themselves unhappy with traditional bars. Heck there are even variations on the drop bars that have a shallower and wider drop, flatter bar tops, etc. So take note of your pain points and try some stuff out. Experimenting can get pricey. So cruising Craigslist and other used channels can help mitigate the costs. I think these Scott AT4 bars cost me $20. Maybe you know other riders who have tried stuff and have bars you can try out?

Wow, very interesting and creative set up Jay!
Best regards
Likes For flan48:
Old 01-05-24, 01:11 PM
boomer58 

I really like that setup that you have Jay. There are so many ways to get comfortable with it. I pity the moose or deer that runs in front of you with it.
Old 01-05-24, 06:18 PM
Alan K

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
OP: You know the best as to which joints and movements cause pain, so you need to find a position that is comfortable enough for you.
As others have already pointed out, a flat handlebar will be more limiting than a variety of others, which allow you to change your hand position after 10 min or whatever time span works for you.

Consulting a bike fitter is an excellent idea but if budgetary constraints prevent you from it, go a locally owned bike shop, where they sell new as well as used bicycles. I am fairly sure, if you get there during a time when they are less busy (avoid weekends), they will be happy to let you try various bikes in your size range and may even be willing to make adjustments to suit your needs.

If they are too busy the first time you visit them, ask them when would be a good time/day, set an appointment around a little before lunch time, and show up with a hot pizza. I’m sure they will help. Besides the food bribe, most bicycle mechanics are really helpful people.

Last edited by Alan K; 01-05-24 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-05-24, 06:26 PM
Jay Turberville

I really like that setup that you have Jay. There are so many ways to get comfortable with it. I pity the moose or deer that runs in front of you with it.
Thanks. The front of the AT-4 bar has round shapes and the inboard bar ends reside inside the perimeter of the AT-4. So wildlife is pretty safe. Of course moose would be sure win regardless were I to hit one.
Old 01-05-24, 06:37 PM
Jay Turberville

Originally Posted by Alan K
. Besides the food bribe, most bicycle mechanics are really helpful people.
That's been my experience as well. It probably helps if you are enthusiastic about bicycles. Ages ago, Mr. Bill at Landis Cyclery in Phoenix spent gobs of time helping me customize a folding bike. He seemed to enjoy the idea of making the little thing go fast as much as I did.
Old 01-06-24, 12:01 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
I think a lot of horned or antlered animals would be jealous ... that is like, a 30-point rack there.
Old 01-14-24, 07:16 PM
SCbike864

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
So many choices for bars. Decisions decisions
Old 01-14-24, 07:25 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2586 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
My bike’s bars are not “straight”. Think it may have identity issues.

Old 01-15-24, 07:04 AM
P.L.Jensen
Pedal Pusher

Bikes: 1970 Peugeot PX-10 single speed - 1992 Ibis Cousin It Tandem - Zizzo Liberte’ Folding Bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 82 Posts
I find narrower flat bars with ergo style grips work universally well between all my bikes... The narrow bars bring the elbows in, which puts less weight on my hands and transfers support to my core... Elbows in and upright feels the best to me... Can ride for miles without needing to move my hands because they aren't wide and spread out like a tripod...
Old 01-15-24, 08:04 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 607 Times in 364 Posts
You're much better getting some hands-on advice here, as your comfort is going to be very depending on your condition, hands, etc. Either via getting a bike fit or visiting a sports physiotherapist.

Your local bike shop with stock should be able to let you try a few bikes out to see what's the most comfortable in reality.

If looking at new bikes I'd probably be looking towards hybrids (flat bar bikes based on mountain bikes but lighter) or gravel bikes (road bikes but tweaked for poorer roads - so a bit more upright, wider bars, bigger tires - and generally more comfortable to use as well as having easier gearing).

Your existing Crossroads is probably going to be a lot more comfortable though, and I wouldn't be overly concerned about the weight unless you're trying to get faster or go much further. a 2-3kg weight difference isn't going to make that much difference especially if it's more comfortable to use.
Old 01-15-24, 08:24 AM
boomer58 

I put the Aero Bars that I purchased on the bike and they helped quite a bit. I only took one ride with them as there has been weather issues, and traveling for a funeral that have kept me from riding. I stopped by a Trek store and looked a a Domane Al in the 56 cm frame size and it felt quite different (better) from my 54 cm Allez. I'll keep pushing on with my current bike and see how it is with some of the changes I have made. The medication and infusions that I am on is starting to work so that is helping. I sure appreciate all of your responses, boomer.
Likes For boomer58:
Old 01-15-24, 10:15 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I’m glad that helped. Before you buy a different bike, you do need to understand the geometry differences, in your case one important dimension is stack.

Your 54 Allez is 561 and the 56 Domain is 591. Your Crossroads is 605.

Basically the higher the stack, the more upright. Older bikes with quill stems allowed the rider to tweak the stack (so to speak, since if effects the handle bar height not the actual frame stack height) by raising and lowering the stem.

If I were you, I’d ride the Crossroads on your 20 mile ride and see how it goes. If the higher bars seem to be better, I’d flip the stem, or get a new stem to raise the bars. This may impact the cable/housing length, so plan on replacing them.

The last piece is saddle tilt. My road bike, tops below saddle, the tilt is pretty level. My mountain bike bar above the saddle, the nose is tilted up slightly. I’m not a fitter, so you can ignore what I think. But saddle tilt can impact how much weight is on the arms/hands. "Generally" nose down will shift more weight to arms and nose up will move the weight to your rear end. I tend to tilt up till it hurts. Well not really till it hurts, but I have a micro adjust clamp on my seat post, where I can make tweaks on a new saddle while out riding until I get it set.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 01-15-24 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-15-24, 11:58 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
Another option that might be helpful. Standard touring bars allow a shorter reach that may be a good riding position. I use these on an old MTB and keep the bars at or below saddle level, so the position is not necessarily very upright.

The levers are a bit forward of the grips to allow my hands to shift forward for some out of the saddle riding positions (depends on the incline). The forward bends are similar in location and use to the hoods position on a drop bar.
Otto
Yes.

My Cross Check will go anywhere.The VO Tourist bars are very comfortable, and have worked where ever I take it!
Old 01-20-24, 08:21 PM
boomer58 

So here is where I am with this. After several hundred miles on the Specialized Allez, I have been to a Trek store and they had this kind of machine that takes your picture and tells you what size bike you fit. Probably works for someone just looking for a bike to cruise around with but for someone a little more serious that wants to ride a lot I think it might be a little on the gimmicky side. I don't know maybe it is accurate you guys tell me. Anyways it said I should ride a 56 cm. My current bike is a 54 cm but my old Fuji was a 56. I have my heart set on a 56 as that is what I used ride. I stopped by another bike shop which is local and not to far from me and was looking at a Cannondale when the owner came over and started talking to me. I told him that I was looking to trade my Specialized 54 in for a 56. He asked me how tall I was ( 5' 8" ) and he said that a 54 cm is my size. We talked for quite awhile and he brought up getting a professional fit. I recall in this thread that MSTATEGLFR recommended that I do this, thank you for that advice. Anyways I signed up for a professional fit this Wednesday and we'll see what happens. Thank you to all of you that have replied to this thread I really appreciate it, boomer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.