Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking for a Full Shock mountain bike under $600

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Looking for a Full Shock mountain bike under $600

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-24, 06:17 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
If you are outside of the USA, look at a Merida. You should be able to buy a Merida Big Nine 15 or a Big Seven 15 for about US $500, or even a Big Seven/Nine 20. A Big Seven or Big Nine 300/500 would be $750 to $900 I'd say, so a bit out of your budget, but really decent bikes.
Old 03-07-24, 10:23 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by anushn@live.com
I like the look. I ride on a combination of road and minor rough trails/dirt roads up & downhill. Nothing major.
Cool.

Understand that if you buy a cheap bike based on looks, it will be unlikely to be a great bike to actually ride, and probably won't last real long. However .... if you don't really test the bike, (ride it hard enough to stress the parts) then you could conceivably enjoy riding a cheap bike for a long time.

BikesDirect is still probably your best source, since you don't seem to know a ton about suspension, and buying used suspension is a real risk.

BikesDirect has some decent enough F/S bikes at $600-$900.
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products...ds2729-x24.htm
https://bikesdirect.com/products/gra...tain-bikes.htm

For the kind of riding you describe either of these should work.
Old 03-08-24, 01:45 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
I like the look. I ride on a combination of road and minor rough trails/dirt roads up & downhill. Nothing major.
You might like the look, but you might not like the ride compared to a non suspended bike on the types of surfaces you describe. My full suspension $3000 mountain bike is a pig to ride on any smooth surface
Old 03-08-24, 09:58 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
One can replace the brake pads, bike chain, tires, and saddle of a used bike for very little money. I would rather pay $600 for a bike that sold new for $1500 a few years ago and has far better components, and then change out the saddle and tires should I want to do so.
This absolutely sums it up. The difference in quality between that used mid-scale bike for $600 and a new one for $600 will be immediately obvious.
Old 03-08-24, 10:47 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
To complicate things further, based on your criteria - I would look for a gravel bike. Wonderful on roads and non-technical trails. A dual suspension mountain bike is heavy and pushing one of those around on the streets is zero fun. You might like the burly look but you won’t appreciate what a drag they are on light trails and pavement. When the mountain bike craze first started, every couple ran out to Walmart or wherever and picked one up. They rode them a few times and then permanently garaged them, because when not used for their intended purpose - steep, technical, rocky, drops and fording creeks, they are just a drag.

Unless you plan to go full tilt into mountain biking - and not plan on street riding, to reconsider and find a nice used gravel bike.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 03-08-24, 12:06 PM
bboy314

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 743 Times in 386 Posts
anushn@live.com approximately where are you located? And is full suspension an absolute requirement for you? I’d suggest a hybrid or hardtail mountain bike for your use.
Old 03-08-24, 12:11 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314
anushn@live.com approximately where are you located? And is full suspension an absolute requirement for you? I’d suggest a hybrid or hardtail mountain bike for your use.
Apparently, the look of a low-budget FS is the biggest part of the decision.
Old 03-08-24, 05:21 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
I think the rebuttal "I like the look" (of full-suspension bikes) should be respected.
I would disagree, in that "I like the look" and getting that look at the stated $600 New pricepoint will result in subpar riding and maintenance experience.

If person makes an informed decision and buys for the look, knowing that this will be subpar, based on information provided, that decision can be respected, but should not be advised as ok with the justification of "i like the look"

$600 can get you a new ok hardtail, and if you shop sales you can get often get $1000 bike for 600 or so

here are examples from Rei (which as it is national, is a good base for comparison)

hard tail
https://www.rei.com/c/hardtail-mount...sort=min-price

full suspension
https://www.rei.com/c/full-suspensio...sort=min-price

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 03-09-24, 04:49 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
Just say no to new $600 full sus mountain bikes!

They are heavy, with very low quality shocks and other components. A budget hardtail or fully rigid bike will be far more capable both on and off trail. Maintenance will also be much easier.

I know there is a whole generation casually riding around blissfully unaware of all this on their Walmart full suspension bikes, but they are a terrible choice for the more well informed. The only positive thing you can say is that riding something is better than nothing at all.

Buying used gives more options, but $600 still doesn’t buy you a quality full suspension mtb and there’s a very good chance that the shocks will need a full service. Again a used hardtail would get you a better bike at this price point.
Old 03-09-24, 08:29 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 266 Posts
Big Box purchase...if you don't like it, oh well.
Considering you ride 'maybe' a couple of times a week I doubt you will notice...
Old 03-09-24, 03:09 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Originally Posted by XxHaimBondxX
Didn't know THAT existed, however, for local purchases, FB replaced Craigslist 10 fold.
The downside is that you have to be on FB.
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 03-09-24, 03:46 PM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts
It was stolen a few days ago and looking for a replacement.
That sucks. Since you already know what a full-suspension bike feels like and you want another, I'd go ahead and get one. The two bikes Maelochs linked to should work fine for what you want to use them for. The suspension on them might not be great for mountain biking, but should hold up fine for what you will use it for, and it is much lower maintenance than the air suspension that would come on a fancier bike. The Gravity has a nicer drivetrain and will be a more upright ride, the Motobecane has better wheels, a nicer frame with replaceable pivot bearings, and will feel a bit more stretched out like a proper mountain bike.

If you grab one of them and decide later on you want to make the bike a bit faster, higher quality tires with a less aggressive tread will help, and should be an easy swap. Swapping to a crankset with oval chainrings can greatly reduce the amount of unnecessary flexing the frame does while riding it, letting you go faster with the same amount of effort.
Old 03-09-24, 04:18 PM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
The downside is that you have to be on FB.
Well, it's not the worst of it, you don't even want to know what's going on Snapchat or Insta.
Old 03-09-24, 04:22 PM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldsledz
...grope for the area you live in make a post about the bike asking people to watch for it.
looks like stolen bikes are the least of your worries.
Likes For XxHaimBondxX:
Old 03-09-24, 05:58 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 288 Posts
I'll recommend FB Marketplace also.
If your not a hardcore rider and don't need the latest and greatest then deals can be found on older mid-high end FS bikes there.
These older bike can be beaters or in very nice maintained condition and are being sold due to upgrading to a new bike.
I didn't need a full suspension bike but I couldn't turn down a clean KHS XC 504R for $25. Old but more than enough for my riding style and trails.....the deals are out there.
Old 03-10-24, 12:55 AM
slow rollin

Bikes: n+1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
used. You can probably make a vintage ridgid mtb do whatever you want. If you really want a full suspension bike look for a name brand, post 2005 or so, and something with fox or rockshox suspension. Older then 2005 and most people say the full suspension bikes were not the best. Most of my mtb's are 2009-2016 or so and gret for anything I do.
For 600 you can get a pretty damn good hardtail, a cream of the crop vintage ridgid mtb, or an older full suspension bike that might have problems.
Old 03-10-24, 07:47 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
I wouldn't buy a FS bike older than 2015. There have been to many great updates since then.
Likes For prj71:
Old 03-11-24, 04:57 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I wouldn't buy a FS bike older than 2015. There have been to many great updates since then.
This is true. I remember going from a high-end 2004 FS bike to an equivalent 2015 bike and was blown away by all the improvements. Later on moving to a 2019 bike was not such a big deal.

But with only a $600 budget I wouldn’t touch any FS bike and especially not for the OPs very casual use case. It just doesn’t make any sense.
Likes For PeteHski: