Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Help requested in satisfying a need...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-07, 12:30 AM
darkroast

Bikes: Kona Dr. Dew

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

actually truth be told it is a pure want. I am a very happy owner of a 06 Kona Dr. Dew hybrid. I have been using this bike since Sep 06 for commuting. Anyhow, I finally got rid of some old motorcycle accessories (thanks to my new found addiction to cycling). So now I have some $$ to start satisfying my want. What I want is to build a bike that I can use for my daily commutes, as well as small tours (few days), and transporting (using a trailer) kids. Yes, I know the Dew can do all that. Hence this is an unashamed want lust...

I am kind of set on getting a steel road frame. Searching and reading the forums here I realise that Surly's CC and LHT are very popular. Kona makes the Sutra - I am not sure if I can get the frame - I want to build my own for the experience as well making sure I set up the gearing I want as well the components. Salsa Casseroll is also an option. Having ridden a bike with disc brakes, I would like to see if there is a frame that will allow this. Appreciate any input or advice. I guess I should say something about the budget... well I would like to not go beyond CDN$1,500 for the entire build. A call to a Surly stockist indicates that the CC and LHT will consume just over a third of the budget.

Last edited by darkroast; 07-09-07 at 12:58 AM.
Old 07-09-07, 06:14 AM
Riv-Lantis

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check SS, Surly Straggler, Surly Steamroller fixed, Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
If the disks are a must, you might also look at the Surly Karate Monkey. You can set it up very road-ish with some dirt drop bars and road tires on 700c rims.
Old 07-09-07, 07:25 AM
CBBaron

Bikes: Pugsley, fixie commuter, track bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You will get plenty of other replies about this but I love my Surly CrossCheck.
Are you going to replace the Dew are complement it. If it is a replacement the CrossCheck (or LHT) is excellent. If you are going to keep the Dew then the new bike does not need to be the do everything bike and you can go for a more specialized bike if you desire.
One option is to put a disc compatible cyclocross fork on an XC if you must have disc brakes. I decided to forgo the discs on my commuter and havn't missed them. They are nice but good brakes are expensive and not really necessary on a road bike.
Craig
Old 07-09-07, 08:37 AM
darkroast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CBBaron
You will get plenty of other replies about this but I love my Surly CrossCheck.
Are you going to replace the Dew are complement it. If it is a replacement the CrossCheck (or LHT) is excellent. If you are going to keep the Dew then the new bike does not need to be the do everything bike and you can go for a more specialized bike if you desire.
One option is to put a disc compatible cyclocross fork on an XC if you must have disc brakes. I decided to forgo the discs on my commuter and havn't missed them. They are nice but good brakes are expensive and not really necessary on a road bike.
Craig
The new bike would complement the Dew. If the build process is successful then the Dew would become the bike to ride during the wet/slushy months.

I had not thought about the KM. I guess I would need to make a decision about the brakes.
Old 07-09-07, 09:07 AM
jimmuter
Urban Biker

Bikes: Trek 720 hybrid; 2007 Specialized Tricross Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a fun project. Be careful because buying components separately can really run up the costs as they cost a lot more individually than they do when you buy them as a package on a bike. I know someone who really wanted to build his own, bought an LHT, and found it was cheaper to buy a Trek 520, strip the components and put them on the LHT, than it was to buy the components separately. He sold the 520 frame and made out pretty well.

My understanding of the Surly frames is that an LHT is going to be a little heavier and is quite suitable for touring. The Cross Check, also suitable for some touring, is going to be a little more nimble. Of course that all depends upon the components you fit it up with.
Old 07-09-07, 01:03 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think Kona does the Sutra as a frameset only. A KM or 1x1 would also work,you can mount a trekking bar instead of drops.

You can also check out this thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...highlight=disc

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 07-09-07, 08:39 PM
darkroast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jimmuter: I do need to cost out the whole parts thing, to get an idea of the total cost. Time to surf the various online catalogs...

dynaryder: checking the Kona site I did not see the Sutra offered as a frame only. The complete bike is listed at CND$1700. Anyhow my local Kona dealer has been able to find a 06 frame (apparently the manufacturer does keep some frames for possible warranty issues) which is available for under CND$400! which I think is a very good buy. He was not able to confirm if the price also included the fork (with low rider). If not, then the fork alone is around $100. So I could get a Kona Sutra frame and fork for under $500. Damn! Here I thought the decision would get easier.

I was leaning towards the CC as a more versatile and nimble ride, which went wanted can convert into a very decent touring rig. The Sutra/LHT would indeed be an all-round ride. May be a bit of an overkill for a daily commuter/day and short touring.
Old 07-10-07, 04:26 PM
benshih1

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll, Rocky Mountain Hammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been riding my Casseroll for a little over a month now. It might not be the best bike for you if you're looking for more of a utility bike. It's more of a versatile road bike/club racer. You might be better served with a lower-geared LHT. That being said, the Casseroll is a smooth-running, comfortable road bike. I'm not sure how it would perform carrying a trailer though and Salsa has said that it is not meant to be a loaded tourer.