Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

When to upgrade from Aluminum to Carbon frame?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-15, 05:57 PM
Raigoki

Bikes: Mosso 702TB Road bike - Tiagra groupset

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys, just want to get your opinion on this...

When would you think is the best time to upgrade from aluminum frame to carbon frame?
Is it recommendable for a weekend rider/recreational cyclist to own one?
What are your reasons on upgrading from aluminum to carbon?
Old 03-25-15, 06:01 PM
hayden52

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 22 Posts
When your aluminum frame breaks and you need a new bike.
Old 03-25-15, 06:01 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by Raigoki

When would you think is the best time to upgrade from aluminum frame to carbon frame?
Is it recommendable for a weekend rider/recreational cyclist to own one?
What are your reasons on upgrading from aluminum to carbon?
Speaking as one who hasn't, but does ride Ti, the answer is when you're ready. If you have the desire, and the dough to finance it, why not. But whether you're a recreational, or a serious road warrior, don't expect miracles. Everyone will probably see an improvement, but nobody will see a sea change.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-25-15, 06:16 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Is a carbon frame really an "upgrade" from a high quality aluminium frame?
Old 03-25-15, 07:05 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
When you become a professional racer.

Or... when you want to blow a wad of money and gain the ability to start posting "Has this tiny scratch/scrape/chip compromised the integrity of my fancy, high $$$ CF bike?" threads.
Old 03-25-15, 07:16 PM
redtires
Extra Medium Member

Bikes: Fezzari Empire; State 6061 Allroad gravel; Scott Spark; Specialized Status 140

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
My opinion?? Whenever you want. I've been riding aluminum for a while and went full carbon a couple of months ago for my new bike. One, I got a SCREAMING deal on a new frame/fork and I can do the complete build myself, plus the only thing I "had" to buy extra was a seatpost. And that was a new carbon post found in a bin at the community bike shop for $20. I bought a ton of other stuff....but I didn't "need" too. Honestly, if you want a carbon bike, get one. You'll most likely love the way it rides, make sure you get the one that fits, and get a torque wrench...ride and be happy. I don't put a ton of weight on what people recommend as far as what they think I "should" ride. I go by what I want, what I can afford and the best ride and fit for that money. I've had steel, aluminum, titanium and carbon. Each category has had horrible riding frames and beautifully magical ride qualities.
Old 03-25-15, 07:54 PM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's wrong with your aluminum frame? The best riding bike I've ever had was an aluminum bike. The worst riding bike I had was also an aluminum bike. If the ride is fine, save your money. You won't see much of a difference. My first bike I had was an aluminum Trek and it was horrible. I upgraded to a carbon Trek and it was a night and day difference.
Old 03-25-15, 08:16 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
CF isn't necessarily an upgrade over aluminum. A bike's geometry and construction methods and overall quality determine ride characteristics and quality more so than what material was used to make the frame. My Venge [High-end brand name CF) has NOTHING on my old aluminum Klein [probably the best aluminum bikes ever made]- there are a lot of entry-level/mid-level CF bikes out there which weigh significantly more than my aluminum Klein...and which don't ride half as nice. .Just because a bike is made of CF, doesn't mean a thing.
Old 03-25-15, 08:31 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 765 Times in 432 Posts
I bought my first full carbon framed road bike a little over a year ago to replace a ten year old aluminum framed bike, and I noticed a significant reduction in ride harshness on rough roads such as the chip seal pavement we have on country roads where I live. Both bikes have full carbon forks, have nearly identical geometry and the same tires, so the difference is strictly in the frame itself. The carbon bike is slightly lighter, but this was not the main consideration. So, in my case the carbon framed bike was definitely an improvement over the aluminum one.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 03-25-15, 09:54 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
ride whatever you want, you'll never know just from listening to other people's opinions.

but i would warn you that you may be shocked that you are not shocked at the difference.
Old 03-26-15, 08:46 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Without knowing what your requirements are beyond frame material, I can only guess.

My best guess is June 17, 2016 at about 12:43 PM local time...

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 03-26-15, 08:51 AM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
CF is not the cure all...I went from aluminum to cf because I felt the difference in the ride (same geometry)
I can not say that there was any huge improvement in my performance as a result of the change (immediately)....
for me the cf improved my performance because I was able to ride longer in comfort, thereby improving my condition, which improved my performance... so indirectly and over time the cf did improve my performance.
Old 03-26-15, 09:22 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
ASAP!

I went from AL to CF due to the rough arse roads where I ride.
Old 03-26-15, 02:46 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Don't forget to try out some steel frames. You may find one whose comfort, flexibility and stength outweigh its weight.
Old 03-26-15, 03:02 PM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
I don't think I would. However I do enjoy my carbon forks.

If you just WANT one then have at it. Only a few are able to detect the performance increase over a bike of similar geometry.
Old 03-26-15, 03:49 PM

Bikes: 16 Haibike Sdruo Cross SM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Don't forget to try out some steel frames. You may find one whose comfort, flexibility and stength outweigh its weight.
True, for me. I am a complete steel convert, rather be more comfortable than going faster with a stiff carbon bike. AL bikes just don't feel all that great to me, pogo stick at times. If I do buy AL again it would be a softer frame like Trek's FX line.

Last edited by 2702; 03-26-15 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-26-15, 04:34 PM
D1andonlyDman

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rydabent
Is a carbon frame really an "upgrade" from a high quality aluminium frame?
Personally, I don't think it's a performance upgrade, per se. I think it's a comfort upgrade at a given level of performance. Relative to steel, IMHO, it's neither, other than a weight reduction at a given level of performance and comfort.
Old 03-26-15, 07:22 PM
bikejrff

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
I think this is correct....

I went aluminum, carbon, aluminum, carbon, aluminum, carbon, carbon, carbon, aluminum, carbon, steel, titanium, aluminum, aluminum, steel, carbon, carbon, titanium.

I'd agree aluminum to carbon in itself is not an upgrade.
Old 03-26-15, 07:49 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
What weight? I'd bet you'd find a lot of people on this very forum who are riding steel bikes which weigh less than the CF bikes which some are riding.
Old 03-26-15, 09:46 PM
bowlofsalad

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF4MIEkIBZs Worth a watch.
Old 03-26-15, 09:54 PM
D1andonlyDman

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stucky
What weight? I'd bet you'd find a lot of people on this very forum who are riding steel bikes which weigh less than the CF bikes which some are riding.
Well, it's not a LOT of weight. I'd say it's a couple of pounds, typically, as most steel frame + fork combos tend to come in around 5.5-6.5 pounds, and most carbon fiber frame + fork combos tend to come in at maybe 3.5 to 4.5 pounds.

One related issue is, a lot of folks who ride classic older steel also ride Brooks or similar leather saddles, which (except for the ones with Titanium rails, which shave about 120 grams compared to steel) generally come in at over 500-540 grams, or roughly a half pound more than most newer racing saddles that are largely made from plastic.
Old 03-26-15, 10:01 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
The material the bike is made from is, well, immaterial to your decision. The reason to change is because you want a new bike. Go for it if it will make you happy.
Old 03-27-15, 05:08 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
IMO, there is no question that CF is by far the best material for bike frames where weight, performance and quality of ride and handling are concerned. However, how well any frame works depends on the design and fabrication as well as the materials. It's certainly possible to build a poorly performing frame out of CF. However, quality CF design and fabrication methods have become more established and widespread so it's much less likely for there to be clunkers on the market. In the end, the proof is in the pudding. Research the models you might be interested in, read the reviews and anecdotal reports, and try to get a meaningful test ride in, which IMO would be taking it on typical solo or group ride that you do, not just a spin around the parking lot of a shop.

FWIW: I own and ride CF, Ti and Al bikes and love them all. I just love CF a bit more and any new bike I buy will almost certainly be CF.

Last edited by Looigi; 03-27-15 at 05:18 AM.
Old 03-27-15, 09:40 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts

When

1. There's a hill climb time trial in your future.
2. You don't have body fat left to loose, as in ribs/sternum/veins sticking out and concerned about falling below your minimum safe weight not just thin by American standards.
3. Each pound less is 20 seconds.

it might be time to build a 12 pound carbon fiber bike.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 03-27-15 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-27-15, 10:18 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Never?

I just stopped caring about keeping up with the latest stuff the marketing machines want me to Buy..

In my 30s, I had a pro quality Aluminum Bonded aluminum frame.fork bike, when it showed cracks, I got a Steel frame for those Road components .

This one is Welded , hand finished Aluminum , 7005 Alloy & heat treated after finishing,

they have been proven in use by more adventurous world Touring Cyclists than I..

WB Bicycle Gallery: Robert Clark's Koga Miyata WTR

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-31-15 at 10:36 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.