Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

9 Speed VS. 10 Speed (Dyna-Sys) for Bicycle Touring?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-15, 03:40 PM
Biketouringhobo
Banned.

Bikes: Surly LHT 26in 52cm 2008

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

9 Speed VS. 10 Speed (Dyna-Sys) For Bicycle Touring?

I don't know when Shimano and Sram will Stop making high end 9 Speed Bicycle Parts
and I here you can't use 10 Speed bike part with Dyna-Sys with 9 Speed Shimano XT RD-M772 Rear Derailleur and the New 10 Speed bike parts are marked (Dyna-Sys) and
New Crankset 24-32-42t will work both 9 Speed and 10 Speed and I am using a new
Shimano Deore 24-32-42t Crankset 10 Speed on 9 Speed on my Surly LHT 26in 52cm 2008
and both Shimano Dura Ace SL-BL79 Bar Ends Shifters and Shimano Mtn Thumb Shifters and both Right Shifters are marked (Dyna-Sys) and Left Shifters are non Dyna-Sys

I just Replace my Crankset, Front Derailleur, Cassette 9 Speed, Chain 9 Speed,and
Shimano Mtn Thumb Shifters 9 Speed

my new bike parts

shimano Deore 24-32-42t 10/9 Speed Crankset
Shimano XT M771 Traditional front Derailleur 9 Speed
Sram PG-970 9 Speed 11-34t Cassette
Sram PC-971 9 Speed Chain with Powerlink
Shimamo XT Mtn Thumb Shifters 9 Speed
Raceface XC mtn Handlebars
Adid Speed Dial V-Brakes

I am looking at 10 speed Dyna-Sys to upgrade Soon

Biketouringhobo
Old 07-20-15, 09:15 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 3,999 Times in 2,668 Posts
I am unsure if there is a question in all of this but stick with 9 speed.

There is no point in shoving more and more and more gears into the same amount of space and just making things thinner and more likely to break or make it harder to shed mud and such. 9 speed is as far as one should go and with the prevalence of the internet it is pretty easy to find 9 speed stuff. Also you don't have the odd compatibility issues that Shimano has created for reasons of profit. 10 speed Dyna-sys isn't an upgrade it is a more expensive downgrade that adds one more gear in the rear that you probably won't use much.

What extra gear does the 10 speed have that is worth hundreds of dollars to upgrade to?
Old 07-20-15, 09:29 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I'd stick with 9 speed for touring as well. I dislike Shimano for it's constant stream of planned obsolescence. I like Shimano for doing a pretty good job of ensuring that older parts are available. You can still find shimano 7, 8, and 9 speed stuff without much problem. It won't be the top end expensive stuff but it will be fine for touring.

It is quite possible to set up a proper 10 speed touring bike. Just take a look at the REI novara randonnee and the Surly long haul trucker. No doubt other companies are going 10 speed with their touring bikes without using Shimano's road triple which is not a great choice, IMHO, for touring.

The way that Salsa set up their Vaya 2 for example is not that great for touring with a shimano road triple; Bikes Direct uses that type of crank (50-39-30) with their windsor touring. But that's the kind of choice forced on bike manufacturers/vendors if they wish to stick with Shimano's brifters for triples. Bar end shifters are more forgiving of the triple being used as long as the left is friction.
Old 07-20-15, 09:44 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
likewise.. On Tour, if you need parts in a small town Mom & Pop bike shop, the more exotic your needs,
the less likely there will be spares, in stock. 8 speed even better ..

at the higher end the MTB drivetrains and the road stuff is Incompatible to mix them ,

which many touring bikes makers want to do.

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-20-15 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-20-15, 09:52 AM
Biketouringhobo
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I am unsure if there is a question in all of this but stick with 9 speed.

There is no point in shoving more and more and more gears into the same amount of space and just making things thinner and more likely to break or make it harder to shed mud and such. 9 speed is as far as one should go and with the prevalence of the internet it is pretty easy to find 9 speed stuff. Also you don't have the odd compatibility issues that Shimano has created for reasons of profit. 10 speed Dyna-sys isn't an upgrade it is a more expensive downgrade that adds one more gear in the rear that you probably won't use much.

What extra gear does the 10 speed have that is worth hundreds of dollars to upgrade to?

I can Stock on 9 Speed Bike Parts like Cassette Sram PG-970 11-34t I have 1 Spare now of PG-970 Cassette and I can Stock up on Sram 9 Speed Chain PC-971 I got 1 Spare of PC-971
and PC-950 Chain and I got 1 Spare PC-950 Chain and my 2008 Deore XT Rear Derailleur max 34t still good
and I was looking upgrade it with Shimano Deore XT RD-M772 Rear Derailleur max 36t
and I am now seeing new Touring Bikes with 10 Speed and 2015 with 10Speed Dyna Sys on them like the
REI Randonee 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 with 10 Speed and the REI Randondee 2015 has 10 Speed with
Dyna Sys and Bruce Gordon cycles and Co-Motion with 10 Speed with Dyna Sys

I still like prepare for 10 Speed Dyna Sys

all I need is 10 Speed Dyna Sys Shimano XT RD M786 $96.99 or XT RD M781 $89.99 max 36t
Shimano XT Mtn Right Thumb Shifter 10 Speed Dyna Sys $64.99
Sram PG-1050 10 Speed Cassette 12-36t $75.99
Sram PC-1071 10 Speed Chain $42.99

Biketouring
Old 07-20-15, 09:59 AM
Biketouringhobo
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I'd stick with 9 speed for touring as well. I dislike Shimano for it's constant stream of planned obsolescence. I like Shimano for doing a pretty good job of ensuring that older parts are available. You can still find shimano 7, 8, and 9 speed stuff without much problem. It won't be the top end expensive stuff but it will be fine for touring.

It is quite possible to set up a proper 10 speed touring bike. Just take a look at the REI novara randonnee and the Surly long haul trucker. No doubt other companies are going 10 speed with their touring bikes without using Shimano's road triple which is not a great choice, IMHO, for touring.

The way that Salsa set up their Vaya 2 for example is not that great for touring with a shimano road triple; Bikes Direct uses that type of crank (50-39-30) with their windsor touring. But that's the kind of choice forced on bike manufacturers/vendors if they wish to stick with Shimano's brifters for triples. Bar end shifters are more forgiving of the triple being used as long as the left is friction.
the REI Randonee started to use 10 speed in 2012, 2013, 2014 all Sram 10 Speed and
2015 all Shimano 10 Speed Dyna Sys and all Bruce Gordon Cycles and Co-Motion Cycles are in
Shimano 10 Speed Dyna Sys
Old 07-20-15, 10:00 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bring more money for Motels to await for special order parts if you break stuff in the Mayberrys along the way ...
Old 07-20-15, 10:04 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
There's no actual difference in durability or wear life between 9 and 10 speed.
Old 07-20-15, 10:06 AM
Biketouringhobo
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
likewise.. On Tour, if you need parts in a small town Mom & Pop bike shop, the more exotic your needs,
the less likely there will be spares, in stock. 8 speed even better ..

at the higher end the MTB drivetrains and the road stuff is Incompatible to mix them ,

which many touring bikes makers want to do.
hey dude

I have all new 9 Speed Bike Parts and I can't go backwards on Bike Parts
and I have new Shimano XT Thumb Shifters and I am only touring in the USA on
west Coast of USA

Biketouringhobo
Old 07-20-15, 10:13 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Good Luck .. I'm speaking from experience from one of those shops on the North Pacific Coast.

set up a way to get some of your own horde of parts mailed to you Poste Restante, (General Delivery, USPS) as a back up plan..
Old 07-20-15, 10:29 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by Biketouringhobo
hey dude

I have all new 9 Speed Bike Parts and I can't go backwards on Bike Parts
and I have new Shimano XT Thumb Shifters and I am only touring in the USA on
west Coast of USA

Biketouringhobo
I'm curious, did you start this post to ask a question or simply start an argument with everyone who responded to your post? If there is a question, what is it?
Old 07-20-15, 10:37 AM
Biketouringhobo
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Good Luck .. I'm speaking from experience from one of those shops on the North Pacific Coast.

set up a way to get some of your own horde of parts mailed to you Poste Restante, (General Delivery, USPS) as a back up plan..

I have a Group on Facebook called Bicycle Touring Pacific Coast Route US.101
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Bicyc...ficCoastUS101/
and a few more on bicycle touring groups
Old 07-20-15, 10:39 AM
Biketouringhobo
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm curious, did you start this post to ask a question or simply start an argument with everyone who responded to your post? If there is a question, what is it?
to ask a **********???? and I think some can't read!!!! post
Old 07-20-15, 10:49 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by grolby
How can you say that? There is most certainly a difference in durability, you are adding another gear to the same space, meaning you need everything to be thinner. Thinner parts are more likely to wear faster. It is not a huge difference and I will grant you that but there is a difference.
Old 07-20-15, 10:52 AM
bikemig 

to ask a **********???? and I think some can't read!!!! post
Cool, you are trolling your own thread. Have fun.
Old 07-20-15, 10:54 AM
Biketouringhobo
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool, you are trolling your own thread. Have fun.

I am not a BLOODY TROLL and you ARE A TROLL SO KICK ROCKS
Old 07-20-15, 10:56 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
How can you say that? There is most certainly a difference in durability, you are adding another gear to the same space, meaning you need everything to be thinner. Thinner parts are more likely to wear faster. It is not a huge difference and I will grant you that but there is a difference.
You assume that the engineering and metallurgy of these parts are identical and do not progress between updates. That assumption is false. And because of the way chains wear, making them narrower doesn't make much difference in any case.
Old 07-20-15, 10:59 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

I am not a BLOODY TROLL and you ARE A TROLL SO KICK ROCKS
I am pretty sure bikemig is not a troll or he is a damn fine one who should be held high in the annals of trolling history. I think your best recourse right now is to apologize and either ask a question or just step back for a bit.
Old 07-20-15, 11:05 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

You assume that the engineering and metallurgy of these parts are identical and do not progress between updates. That assumption is false. And because of the way chains wear, making them narrower doesn't make much difference in any case.
There is some progress but not by that much. If you take nearly identical cassettes and chains the 10 speed will be less durable. It is not like they have vastly changed the metal compounds they are using for 10 speed. Thinner plates on a chain will surely take more stress from shifting and grit and grime.
Again I am not saying a huge difference but there will be some.
Old 07-20-15, 11:06 AM
Biketouringhobo
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am pretty sure bikemig is not a troll or he is a damn fine one who should be held high in the annals of trolling history. I think your best recourse right now is to apologize and either ask a question or just step back for a bit.
I am just a Homeless Guy By Choice In Oceanside, CA trying to learn more on 9Speed vs. 10Speed for Bike Touring and I did not join this Forum to Troll anyone on here and I run 3 + bicycle touring groups on facebook and I here post nice on crazyguyonabike and I was posting nice and he called me a Troll
Old 07-20-15, 11:08 AM
Biketouringhobo
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is some progress but not by that much. If you take nearly identical cassettes and chains the 10 speed will be less durable. It is not like they have vastly changed the metal compounds they are using for 10 speed. Thinner plates on a chain will surely take more stress from shifting and grit and grime.
Again I am not saying a huge difference but there will be some.
thanks this is what I am looking for on 10 Speed bike parts and I will just stock up 9 speed cassette and chain etc
Old 07-20-15, 11:11 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

thanks this is what I am looking for on 10 Speed bike parts and I will just stock up 9 speed cassette and chain etc
If you have the cash and storage do a big stock up on the top stuff and vac seal it and store it for a while and you will have NOS vintage parts to keep you cashified later in life.
Old 07-20-15, 11:56 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Having been many million bikes sold with 9 speed components, the Distributors that ship repair parts to Bike Shops
will continue to have stuff.
Old 07-20-15, 01:13 PM
Biketouringhobo
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only use the Sram Chains and there 9 Speed Chains are width 6.8mm weight 294gm 114links PC-971 at $22.99 and Sram 10 Speed Chains 114links width 5.95mm weight 250gm on PC-1071 at $42.99
and I only use Sram Cassette 9 Speed PG-970 11-34t weight is 340gm and
Sram Cassette 10 Speed PG-1050 12-36t weight is 300gm

Biketouringhobo
Old 07-20-15, 01:40 PM
Biketouringhobo
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have the cash and storage do a big stock up on the top stuff and vac seal it and store it for a while and you will have NOS vintage parts to keep you cashified later in life.
I do got SSI and SSDI for Bipoler 2 and I do work the Carnival Games in USA and I also do some
Medical Studys for Pay and I do Rent a Storage Unit in Oceanside CA and Since my MOM got me
my Surly LHT 26in 52cm 2008 I have been Dreaming and Planning to take and Few Trips
from Portland,Oregon to San Diego, California and from Sacramento California to San Diego, CA and from
Sacramento to Eureka, California and Eureka, CA to San Diego, CA in 2016 or 2017 and in 2016 I maybe going back to work in the Carnival Games and I came Homeless by Choice on 4/2008

Biketouringhobo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.