Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Sleeping Pad failures???

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Sleeping Pad failures???

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-15, 10:47 AM
Biketouringhobo
Banned.

Bikes: Surly LHT 26in 52cm 2008

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sleeping Pad failures???

My 1-2010 ThermaRest Trail Pro Sleeping Pad
was OK on 12-19-2015 was holding air... last night it got a hole near valve or the seems...
and I am going to repace it with new ThermaRest Trail Pro Sleeping pad on 1-3-2016 at REI
or Backcountry...

my ??? is should try to find a hole in it and then try to patch it up with gear aid seem grip to use it as a Spare Sleeping pad since I am Sleeping in My Tent by Choice to get my gear to Survive in this World... and I also use the Sleeping pad 7days a week 365days a year??? or Should I buy 2 new ThermaRest Trail Pro Sleeping Pads???

good thing I still have my 7-2008 ThermaRest Trail Pro Sleeping pad that got a pin hole made by a puppy dog on 12-2008 and I had to patch it up with Gorilla Super glue and Gorilla Duct tape near the valve and I used 1,000 mph olive duct tape still holds air for 5days
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Thermarest-trail-pro1.jpg (65.5 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Biketouringhobo; 12-21-15 at 10:47 AM. Reason: fixed words
Old 12-21-15, 11:51 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
What is the thermarest warranty? I use some closed cell foam, so no issues.
Old 12-21-15, 12:08 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,581 Times in 7,337 Posts
Maybe use, you know, the repair kit.
Old 12-21-15, 12:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Just get a thin high density foam Pad and it will not fail due to air loss ..

You can send a Thermarest Back to Cascade Designs in Seattle for repairs

I have a Comfy Down Filled airmattress. But if used in humid places the retained Atmospheric Moisture,
(and the stuff You Exhale if blowing it up by mouth)

encourages Mildew Molds Growth .. that breaks down the air tight coating and looses air Pressure overnight,
then you buy a New One ..

In Snow and the Desert the Humidity is Low right at Dew point 0C is not like that.
Old 12-21-15, 12:12 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Should I? I never under stand Crowd sourcing Your decisions Here ... Ask Your Case Worker ..

.. learn how to pick campsites without sharp pointed stuff , that you put your mattress over

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-22-15 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-21-15, 12:25 PM
Biketouringhobo
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
High density form pad

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Just get a thin high density foam Pad and it will not fail due to air loss ..

You can send a Thermarest Back to Cascade Designs in Seattle for repairs
I use the Big Agnes emcampment sleeping bag 15degs and it has a sleeping pad sleeve for Air pads!

I also have my spare 7-2008 sleeping pad and but I need a new ThermaRest Trail Pro Sleeping pad that was patch up by the valve!

I don't know if the 1-2010 sleeping pad can be fixed by me or Cascade Designs?
Old 12-21-15, 01:14 PM
indyfabz

Deja vu all over again: https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/10...x20x2-4in.html
Old 12-21-15, 01:32 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
Didnt you ask about a sleep pad last month or something?
I dont understand the need for 2 sleeping pads. You use 1 at a time, right? Just use the 1 until it breaks. When it breaks, try to fix it. If it cant be fixed, toss it or send it back to the company and get a new one.

Am I missing something here?

Its awesome that your pads last as long as you show- I will be ecstatic if mine last that many years and I use mine 15x less than you.
Old 12-21-15, 02:01 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
See my post just above yours.
Old 12-21-15, 02:17 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
Ha, yep there is the thread! And I mistakenly just clicked on it to re-read that the guy posted he got rid of the dog bitten pad. Apparently its back again since he is using it per this thread?!?

Time to remove myself from this rabbit hole. Going down any further(or farther?) will only lead to more confusion and less productivity at work.
Old 12-21-15, 02:31 PM
Biketouringhobo
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
see my post just above yours.
my sleeping just died last night

Last edited by obed7; 12-21-15 at 03:15 PM. Reason: no name calling
Old 12-21-15, 02:48 PM
Biketouringhobo
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I dont understand the need for 2 sleeping pads. You use 1 at a time, right? Just use the 1 until it breaks. When it breaks, try to fix it. If it cant be fixed, toss it or send it back to the company and get a new one.

Am I missing something here?

Its awesome that your pads last as long as you show- I will be ecstatic if mine last that many years and I use mine 15x less than you.
my 1-2010 ThermaRest trail pro sleeping pad just died last night
and I use a Sleeping pad every night for 365days a year and I have to have spare sleeping pad and I use one for 6month then spare one for 6month and I still have the 7-2008 ThermaRest trail pro that puppy dog put bloody hole near valve!!!!! and it was patch up with super glue and duct tape and can not be sent back cascades designs for warranty!!!
Old 12-21-15, 03:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,001 Times in 2,670 Posts
Maybe try posting new threads (or in this case new threads about already discussed topics) less or just create a BikeTouringHobo Question and Answer thread and ask everything there and not create a new thread again.
Old 12-21-15, 03:49 PM
psy

Bikes: Salsa Fargo commuter,Litespeed Ocoee titanium mountain bike cannondale caad9 105 road bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On my last tour down the coast, I had not one, but two thermarest evolite pads bubble up on me for no apparent reason, both times early in the morning. Not the nicest way to be woken up lol. After the first one I called cascade designs customer service line, and they overnighted a replacement to the next post office down the coast. About a week later it happened again, I called and they offered to overnight another mattress down to the next post office, and let me choose from any that they carried. The one I chose cost nearly twice as much. Absolutely fabulous customer service.

*also biketouringhobo seems to get a lot of flack for his postings of late and I gotta say it's kinda rude. I know there's a search function blah blah blah, but damn. If someone started a conversation with you on the street would you treat them that way? The mans dealing with a lot of issues and doing quite well it seems to me. Someone reaches out for community and you **** on them. The man is just making conversation, nobodies forcing you to respond. And besides, looking back at a lot of his posts end up becoming multiple page threads.

sorry for the rant.

Last edited by psy; 12-21-15 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-21-15, 04:04 PM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I use 2 sleeping mats. One 3/4 length inflatable foam style, the other a 1/3 length of closed-cell foam pad. I use the pad as a sit-mat on cold, damp ground, a foot mat in the tent, and as a torso-mat when the inflatable dies.
Old 12-21-15, 04:38 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
I have found Cascade Designs to be very helpful. They replaced my unrepairable NeoAir pad for free even though it was well past the warranty period. They will do repairs sometimes for free sometimes for a charge and sometimes if it can't be repaired they will send out a new one. My suggestion is to call them and ask.

"Therm-a-Rest® Warranty & Repair

Need to repair or return a Therm-a-Rest product? Give our Customer Service Department a call at 1-800-531-9531 (M - F, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. PST), and we will do everything we can to repair or replace it as quickly as possible. You can also start the process online. Instructions and details about our warranty policy are provided below."
Old 12-21-15, 07:19 PM
portland
training wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I were you I would buy a new one but keep the other two for back up if they can be patched. Or keep at least one and maybe offer one of the old ones to someone who can really use it but can't afford it.

And don't worry about these elitist jerks who want to talk down to you, especially when they have less than half the facts. They have no clue how a community works. You are welcome to ask anything you want and most people here will be helpful not rude. Even those jerks don't know everything.

Mundane beings who reside in crystallized edifices should not engage in aerial propulsion of geological fragments.
Old 12-21-15, 07:34 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3675 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
Why don't you go to Walmart on 01-03-16 and buy a memory foam mattress? It will be more comfortable and will not leak. I thought I suggested this previously but the post seems to have disappeared w/o explanation....
Old 12-21-15, 09:41 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by psy
*also biketouringhobo seems to get a lot of flack for his postings of late and I gotta say it's kinda rude. I know there's a search function blah blah blah, but damn. If someone started a conversation with you on the street would you treat them that way? The mans dealing with a lot of issues and doing quite well it seems to me. Someone reaches out for community and you **** on them. The man is just making conversation, nobodies forcing you to respond. And besides, looking back at a lot of his posts end up becoming multiple page threads.

sorry for the rant.
+1

I've said it before but I just think BTH is just looking for a community to hook into and be a part of, like the rest of us. True, he appears to have a few barriers that I, fortunately, don't. But that's just plain old genetic luck and nothing to do with how cool or wise I think I am. Life's hard enough as it is and I have a lot of empathy for those who struggle with mental health issues.

I use an old school blue medium density mat because I don't want to deal with leaks and I like to think adversity breeds character... but I know that's just an excuse for cheap
Old 12-21-15, 09:53 PM
manicmike

Bikes: Soma Saga, Soma ES, Salsa El Mariachi, Old Bianchi SS Conversion. Nishiki Cascade Beater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 12-21-15, 09:56 PM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by portland
If I were you I would buy a new one but keep the other two for back up if they can be patched. Or keep at least one and maybe offer one of the old ones to someone who can really use it but can't afford it.

And don't worry about these elitist jerks who want to talk down to you, especially when they have less than half the facts. They have no clue how a community works. You are welcome to ask anything you want and most people here will be helpful not rude. Even those jerks don't know everything.

Mundane beings who reside in crystallized edifices should not engage in aerial propulsion of geological fragments.
You may want to gather some facts and hang out a while before you make a decision about who is being rude. Take a look at post #11 . See the reason at the bottom that a forum moderator had to edit the post? I saw the post before it was edited, and it wasn't pretty. This is not the first go-around... there is history. You can review any forum members previous posts, and I suggest you do so before slinging mud.
Old 12-21-15, 09:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,001 Times in 2,670 Posts
Originally Posted by psy

sorry for the rant.
I have been nice to they guy and tried to be respectful but he continues posting the same basic thing over and over and in this case already asked about a similar mat not that long ago. We tried to help him but he didn't seem to want our advice and just did what he said he was already doing. If you are going to ask for advice you should listen to the advice and maybe take it once and a while and not ask a question with your mind totally made up.

This isn't a conversation on the street because that would be a one time thing and one would not need to say what we have said. Making conversation is fine, that is why I suggested him making his own topic for his posts or even just having a general "quick question and answer" topic for all which we have in SS/FG for little stuff. People in general don't need to always create a new post for every little question, some stuff yes but most stuff probably no.
Old 12-21-15, 10:17 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Biketouringhobo
..... since I am Sleeping in My Tent by Choice to get my gear to Survive in this World... and I also use the Sleeping pad 7days a week 365days a year????...
i think the problem is you're using your equipment beyond it's designed capacity.

tents and sleeping bags and inflatable pads really are not meant for year-round use.
the construction and materials and chosen for the average camper, plus a little more.

you want to live in a tent year round by choice, then your choice of equipment should
reflect that decision. you're gonna need heavy-duty, heavy-weight gear.

good news is plenty of useful gear is available for cheap at army surplus outlets.
hoo-rah!
Old 12-21-15, 10:40 PM
psy

Bikes: Salsa Fargo commuter,Litespeed Ocoee titanium mountain bike cannondale caad9 105 road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I have been nice to they guy and tried to be respectful but he continues posting the same basic thing over and over and in this case already asked about a similar mat not that long ago. We tried to help him but he didn't seem to want our advice and just did what he said he was already doing. If you are going to ask for advice you should listen to the advice and maybe take it once and a while and not ask a question with your mind totally made up.

This isn't a conversation on the street because that would be a one time thing and one would not need to say what we have said. Making conversation is fine, that is why I suggested him making his own topic for his posts or even just having a general "quick question and answer" topic for all which we have in SS/FG for little stuff. People in general don't need to always create a new post for every little question, some stuff yes but most stuff probably no.

I get it, but the fact is if you don't have anything nice to say you can let a thread die on its own. Fully half the conversation here is about him supposedly, somehow wasting people's time or something when those same people chose to be here and respond. See what I'm saying? Remember the golden rule.
Anyway that's all I have to say on the subject.
Old 12-22-15, 12:25 AM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by psy
I get it, but the fact is if you don't have anything nice to say you can let a thread die on its own. Fully half the conversation here is about him supposedly, somehow wasting people's time or something when those same people chose to be here and respond. See what I'm saying? Remember the golden rule.
Anyway that's all I have to say on the subject.
I happen to agree.
If you don't like the thread, refrain from posting.
A little empathy goes a long way.
There is no mandate for taking advice.
Advice is merely opinion which is like backsides, in that everyone has one.
We all tend to pick and choose the opinions that suit.

Biketouringhobo, I recently read that with regards searching for leaks in sleeping mats, a bath filled with hot(ish) water was superior to cold.
Not too hot to put your hands in, merely warmer than warm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.