Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Can you help me identify this GIOS?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-17, 06:25 AM
lastnight

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I've recently acquired this white GIOS and I'm a bit curious as to what I've actually gotten my hands on. I think it's a repaint and the decals point in all kinds of directions but it has all the characteristics of a 1978 (or earlier) Super Record.

I've studied the GIOS registry and the article on Steel-Vintage about GIOS Super Record (sorry can't post links).

Arguments that it's a pre-1979 Super Torino:
  • External top tube cable guides
  • Engraved GT fork crown
  • Engraved GT bottom bracket
  • Seat tube takes a 27.2mm post
  • Tapered seat stays

Arguments that it's something else:
  • It's white
  • Columbus Aelle decal
  • GIOS Professional decal on chain stay

As for the tubing, it's my understanding that Aelle seat tube is 26.8mm and did GIOS make anything in Aelle with the GT engraved BB?

So would it be wrong to assume that this is a 1978 or earlier GIOS Torino Super Record with Columbus SL tubing? Or is it just wishful thinking?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
gios-1a.jpg (67.7 KB, 85 views)
gios-2a.jpg (61.7 KB, 84 views)
gios-3a.jpg (65.0 KB, 84 views)
gios-4a.jpg (39.8 KB, 84 views)
gios-5a.jpg (67.0 KB, 84 views)
Old 03-26-17, 10:43 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Welcome to thee forums. I don't know much about Gios but they did make entry level models with hi-tensile steel, so there's no reason to believe they didn't make an Aelle model, though I haven't seen one. Still, as you state, Aelle typically used a 26.8mm post, while 27.2mm is typical of SL. It's always possible that the seat tube had some aggressive reaming, so to increase my confidence I'd be checking the steerer tube. Aelle did not use the Columbus steerer and therefore would not have the dove logo on the outside or the five helical ridges on the inside, at the bottom. Of course, this still isn't infallible, as the fork may have been switched.

Your bicycle appears to have recessed brake mounting, so I wouldn't think it would be pre-1979. Campagnolo catalogue 17a (for 1978 model year) doesn't mention this option for the brakes and the 1977 Gios catalogue shows exposed brake mounts. Regarding brake cable tunnels, the 1981 Gios catalogue still shows them. Of course, that assumes this is a legitimate Gios. It's my understanding that they are a commonly faked brand.
Old 03-26-17, 11:10 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2935 Post(s)
Liked 2,931 Times in 1,496 Posts
Is it possible they use a SL seattube and Alle for all the other tubing?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-26-17, 12:10 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Are the dropouts drilled, and is the driveside rear dropout drilled for a Portacatena? That was also a feature on most Super Records.

Just from the few pics shown, I believe it's a repainted, genine SR from around the late-70s.

DD
Old 03-26-17, 12:49 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 788 Posts
I doubt any "counterfeiter" would have faked that BB shell cut-out, likewise the forkcrown panto seems legit and the crown the "correct" style, but a shot of the seatcluster would be helpful. Is it a Hatta Swan headset?
Old 03-26-17, 01:14 PM
lastnight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Are the dropouts drilled, and is the driveside rear dropout drilled for a Portacatena? That was also a feature on most Super Records.

Just from the few pics shown, I believe it's a repainted, genine SR from around the late-70s.

DD
Thanks for the replies. Yes, the dropout are drilled but not for a portacatena. However, if you look at the back of the dropout there are something that could be a mount for the portacatena hole. Perhaps it was filled and painted over - or just never drilled.

As for the brake mounts, I'm not entirely sure what recessed mounting means, however, comparing my mount this one from the registry (www.giostorino.it/images/stories/PDFREGISTROGIOS/rsgiostorino39.pdf), they appear to look the same.

Haven't checked the steerer tube. Going to do that next.
Attached Images
gios-drop-out-1.jpg (60.7 KB, 56 views)
gios-drop-out-2.jpg (61.9 KB, 55 views)
gios-brake-mount.jpg (46.2 KB, 56 views)
Old 03-26-17, 01:27 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,182 Times in 1,184 Posts
OP,
It looks like my GIOS SR, if it was repainted that could explain the "upgrades" of the decals etc.
is the seat post campy, what does the seat tube look like?I would not be overly concerned about the lack of the"hole" for the Portacatena, it might be filled or left not being drilled.
White was a later color combo.....only downside is the repaint....on the other hand that means you can ride and enjoy it without being overly compulsive about "condition, my Gios is still my favorite go to.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 03-26-17, 01:30 PM
retrofit

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude

DD
I would agree with DD. The frame bears two conflicting decals -- one identifying the frame as a Super Record and the other as a Professional. This frame is not a Professional as it does not have the signature internal cable routing in the top tube.

The key points are was DD said -- the drop outs. Also front and rear drop outs will be Campagnolo. The fork crown looks correct and he seat cluster looks correct, but a closer photo would confirm. I think the Aelle sticker was wrongly used following the repaint.
Old 03-26-17, 01:31 PM
lastnight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
I doubt any "counterfeiter" would have faked that BB shell cut-out, likewise the forkcrown panto seems legit and the crown the "correct" style, but a shot of the seatcluster would be helpful. Is it a Hatta Swan headset?
Yes, that's also my thought that why go through all the work of counterfeiting the BB cut-out and fork crown engravement, just to put on low-end decals in the end?

I've added photos of the seat cluster and the front lugs which I think is also consistent with other super records I've seen. The headset is Hatta Swan but the parts have been replaced when I acquired it. It came with a Shimano Golden Arrow groupset but I opted for Nuevo Record.
Attached Images
gios-seatcluster.jpg (45.4 KB, 54 views)
gios-front-lugs.jpg (66.6 KB, 54 views)
gios-headset.jpg (49.5 KB, 54 views)
Old 03-26-17, 01:38 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2935 Post(s)
Liked 2,931 Times in 1,496 Posts
Your running the wheel too far back. You should run the wheel further forward to line up the....the ....OH I forget but in general the rear wheel should be further forward. Something to do with the position of the freewheel in relation to the position of the jockey wheel on the RD.

Some dropout adjuster screws would help, if the holes are not plugged.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-26-17, 02:12 PM
lastnight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
OP,
It looks like my GIOS SR, if it was repainted that could explain the "upgrades" of the decals etc.
is the seat post campy, what does the seat tube look like?I would not be overly concerned about the lack of the"hole" for the Portacatena, it might be filled or left not being drilled.
White was a later color combo.....only downside is the repaint....on the other hand that means you can ride and enjoy it without being overly compulsive about "condition, my Gios is still my favorite go to.
Best, Ben
Yes, the seat post is campy - see image.

It's a good point about not being overly compulsive about the condition. It's a great ride and it would be a shame to only have it on display out of concerns about ruining the condition.
Attached Images
gios-seat-post.jpg (60.8 KB, 45 views)
Old 03-26-17, 02:16 PM
lastnight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Your running the wheel too far back. You should run the wheel further forward to line up the....the ....OH I forget but in general the rear wheel should be further forward. Something to do with the position of the freewheel in relation to the position of the jockey wheel on the RD.
Thanks for the heads up. I know, but I had trouble positioning the wheel straight as I don't have the adjusters yet. So it was easier just to place the wheel at the back for now.
Old 03-26-17, 03:17 PM
BlueDevil63 
my name is Jim

Bikes: too many or not enough

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 93 Posts
I think this is about a 78 or so Super record that has been repainted and had some later components put on it. All the frame features we have seen are consistent with an earlier Super Record. The fork crown and BB cutouts were changed by 79 so this is earlier than that. Recessed brake mounts didn't show up until 80 or so though so this has been modified to accept them. It should also have a head badge not a decal and the painter may have used the wrong Columbus sticker. I have found the Gios Blue group on Facebook to have some really knowledgeable Gios people.
70 Pogliaghi ItalCorse, 72 De Rosa, 72 Masi Gran Criterium, 75 Masi Gran Criterium, 77 Melton, 79 Bianchi Super Leggera, 79 Gios Super Record, 81 Picchio Special, 82 Guerciotti Super Record, 82 Colnago Profil CX, 83 Colnago Superissimo, 84 Fuso