Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

SunTour GT derailleur w/ no date code用re-71?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-23, 03:41 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 762 Posts

I made it out to Portland and am working to get my Fuji Finest working. I think it's a '71 or '72. I pulled the derailleur to clean it up a bit. It's a SunTour GT, but I couldn't find a date code. I'm used to seeing a two-letter code on the back parallelogram plate. The Vintage Trek date code table shows "N" as the earliest year, 1971. Would the lack of a date code imply an earlier manufacture date?

Old 10-12-23, 03:50 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
disclaimer: I have no answer to the question. I'm just here to pull the discussion off on a tangent.

Specifically... I've never paid attention to date codes on SunTour stuff. I can imagine it being useful on the nicer parts, like the Cyclone derailleurs. I've noticed small variations in the first generation Cyclone rear derailleurs, and should probably figure out what the sequence of these changes was.
I wonder if anyone cared enough about the low-end steel derailleurs to bother stamping date codes into it.

Steve in Peoria
Old 10-12-23, 05:02 PM
Schreck83 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 162 Posts
I have a 1st gen. Cyclone rd with no date code, so not necessarily.

Velobase shows 1972 to 1973 for the GT, but there may be earlier versions. I have what appears to be an older GT cage grafted onto a V-luxe parallelogram. There are no entries in VB for such a cage.

Old 10-12-23, 07:02 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
IIRC, the Finest OEM rear derailleur was a SunTour-V, not a V-GT. I suspect a previous owner installed the V-GT to allow wider gearing.