Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

what kind of racks, panniers, trunks, seat packs, etc. you use?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-07, 11:27 PM
mijome07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

I'm curious to know what kind of stuff you guys use to carry your items on your commute? Some may carry a backpack and others may look like they're on a light tour. I'm a big fan of Jandd products. I have a Frame Pack, Rear Expedition Rack and a Rack Pack ll [trunk]. I'll soon be adding Jandd Mountain Panniers. I'm also going to start using my hybrid for light-medium touring. This will buy me time to save up for a touring bike.

My bike:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/9320902@N04/1375536981/
Old 09-18-07, 11:49 PM
ax0n
Trans-Urban Velocommando

Bikes: 06 Trek 1200 - 98 DB Outlook - 99 DB Sorrento

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Blackburn XR-1 Crossrack meets Banjo Brothers Saddlebag Panniers

My bike with the rack:
https://www.focushacks.com/photo/2007-05-02-trek1200.jpg

My bike with the bags on:
https://www.focushacks.com/photo/2007...-groceries.jpg
Old 09-18-07, 11:50 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
On the three bikes I use regularly for commuting, I have two equipped with Tubus racks and one with a Delta DiscRack. I've used other Deltas in the past without issue.

My bags are almost exclusively rack trunk bags. I've found the Performance Transit to be about the best value out there. It holds lots of stuff, is pretty cheap and is pretty rugged. When I use panniers because the morning ride is in the 20's and the evening ride is in the 70's (yes it happens) and I have to carry all that morning clothing home, I use Detours Transit panniers. I also have a Cannondale commuter truck bag that converts to a small pannier.

Mountain bike

This one has the Delta. Yes, I ride it 22 miles round trip equipped as you see it...knobbies and all. I have several miles of single track I can ride on my commute and can also ride over a mountain behind my work.

Commuter bike (when I want to go faster)

This bike has a Tubus Vega. It's not the best rack for commuting with a rack bag because it's too narrow. The bags tend to fall off the side of the rack. It's a good sturdy rack that fits well but it is rather narrow. It is far easier to fit to the bike then any other rack I've ever used however, other than the other Tubus racks I have

Touring bike (when I have to carry lots of stuff)

It has Tubus Cargo rear and Tubus Tara front. If I have to carry panniers, I use this one with the bags mounted on the front wheel. Otherwise I use the same trunk bag.

In the winter (sometimes in the summer too), I also carry a Camelbak. Water is better insulated in the winter and doesn't freeze on my as much and I carry my helmet light battery pack in it.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 09-18-07 at 11:57 PM.
Old 09-19-07, 04:48 AM
Stujoe
This Space For Rent

Bikes: 2007 Specialized HardRock Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a Blackburn TR Rack and a expanding Banjo Bros bag. When I need more than can fit in that, usually only on Fridays when I bring my clothes home, I put the rest in a backpack. I have been playing with the idea of panniers or a grocery bag pannier to hold the backpack but it has not been an immediate issue as of yet. (16 mi RT)

Old 09-19-07, 06:10 AM
flipped4bikes
ROM 6:23

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OMM Sherpa rear rack. Arkel Tail Rider and a T-28 pannier.
Old 09-19-07, 06:11 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
My hybrid has a Jandd Expedition. The road bike has some no-name thing I got at the LBS. Both racks accommodate my Arkel Tailrider trunk bag or my Nashbar Townie grocery panniers nicely.

Note the "or" in that sentence.

Mounting both a trunk bag and panniers together is impossible on the road bike's rack and nearly so on the Jandd Expedition, since they all want to mount in the same place. It's not so bad in the summer when it's an excuse to take another ride for groceries. But with winter coming, I'd rather just stop on the way home from work, thankyouverymuch.

I pick up my new bike tomorrow. I've ordered the new Tubus Cosmo rack for it from Wayne at The Touring Store. It should be in next week. The Cosmo, besides being stainless steel and therefore road salt resistant for decades (and having no paint to leave behind when I lock up), has a second set of side rails. So the Tailrider will work just fine on the deck, while the grocery panniers ride on the lower side rails, all at the same time.

The attached photo is of the new, 2008 version of the Cosmo. Compared to the old version, the upper deck is wider bringing more stability for trunk bags, plus it's upturned at the front to keep them from sliding forward, and longer at the rear to protect the taillight. The taillight bridge is also more substantial. Like the old one, it's rated for 30 kilos or 66 pounds, and the price remains the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_3015.jpg (43.2 KB, 73 views)
Old 09-19-07, 06:19 AM
Riv-Lantis

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check SS, Surly Straggler, Surly Steamroller fixed, Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I use a Topeak rack and MTX DXP trunk bag on my Cross Check. It's a large trunk bag that clips onto the rack, and has zip down panniers that bungee cord to the sides of the rack.

The panniers aren't as large a full-on tourning panniers, but they'll easily hold everything I need for a day of work or a weekend trip.

Topeak also has a rain cover for the bag/panniers to keep your stuff dry.

Link to Topeak bag I have.
Old 09-19-07, 07:54 AM
sumguy

Bikes: 08 Novara Safari; 06 Schwinn Super Sport DBX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
backpack --> bor yeuh rack --> nashbar deluxe trunk 950ci --> Transit Epic panniers 2860ci
$13 for the rack. not quite level, no instructions 44lb capacity.
Old 09-19-07, 08:11 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Blackburn Expedition rear rack
Nashbar 6-packer front rack (tiny, bolts to canti-studs and fork crown, 15# limit, good for carrying a 6-pack or a 1-man tent in a compression sack. Makes a nice mounting point for a headlight. Only cost me $6.00)
Nashbar Elite rack trunk and handlebar bag
GoLite Race backpack with Venture Sports drybag if I need to carry lots of stuff.
Old 09-19-07, 08:48 AM
idcruiserman
Mmmmm potatoes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek Back Rack with REI Novara Safari panniers. Sometimes a small backpack with water bladder. I'm very happy with the Trek rack, and the panniers are great. They are waterproof and hold a lot of stuff.
Old 09-19-07, 09:37 AM
dave.lloyd
Hacker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the rack that came with my L200 (probably some Dutch/German/Swiss thing), one Deuter Rack Pack I pannier and one Nashbar townie pannier. On the weekends, I use two townies. I find that I almost never use the other Deuter pannier, but I'm also loath to sell it.

The only problem I've had is that my bike wants to tip over when Ioad up the grocery panniers. It doesn't seem like it takes that much, either. Maybe this is my sign I need to get one of those spiffy pletscher double kickstands.
Old 09-19-07, 09:52 AM
Sigurdd50
Papa Wheelie

Bikes: Jamis Aurora '02; Takara Medalist (650B)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My black burn rack broke after 2 years, so I took the opportunity to buy a... TUBUS!
I have some old used Nashbar panniers, a Jandd rack trunk and a little front cooler bag for my lunch, on a scavenged nickel colored tiny front rack. I am looking for some used front panniers at which time I will get a front rack.
Old 09-19-07, 10:36 AM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Delta Universal Racks. One on my road commuter, one on my mtb commuter. Jandd Sadddlebags on the road, Sunlite rack trunk-small on the mtb. On my tourer it's a Blackburn that came w/t bike and Jandd Mountain panniers-expandable. Also, I've got a set of Cannondale front bags used as day-trek rear panniers. They're perfect for overnight/weekend credit card tours. I've got an old Schwinn spring-loaded rack and a front rack that attaches to the old style flat fork crowns...surprisingly sturdy. They're both cast aluminum. Wouldn't recommend the Jandd Saddlebags as they don't hold very much.
Old 09-19-07, 10:49 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I use a Carradice Barley seatbag with their Bagman rack. The side pockets have room for all of my tools, spare tube, inflator with CO2, parts, and a small cable lock. The main compartment has room for some clothes, lunch, cell phone, eyeglasses, wallet, etc. The bag actually works better when it's full, so I usually bring a few spare clothes to work whether I need them that day or not. It also has a clip to hold a tail light.

I like the Barley because it keeps the weight centered and fairly low on my bike, and it looks nice. I usually bike commute 3 days a week and carry spare supplies and clothes when I drive my truck and also bring home dirty laundry. I could probably commute nearly full time with the Barley if I carried dirty clothes home every day, but I usually have to drive at least one day a week to conduct errands, go to meetings, doctor's appts., etc.
Old 09-19-07, 10:50 AM
Mr. Jim
Bike Nerd

Bikes: mid 80's Fuji Supreme (commuter), LeRun unicycle thingy Raleigh Centrurion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use everything....I have rear racks panniers, trunk bag, several messenger bags, a trailer, backpacks. Everything but front bags and the rebuild of my commuter this winter will address that deficiency. Seriously I have a bag problem and need to seek help but can't find a support group.

Anyway i have used everything and find that I just grab whatever is appropriate for the occasion. Panniers are Monday and Friday for work clothes. Messenger bag or trunk rack for days when i just carry lunch and backpack with hydration bladder for the days i am taking the long route home and ride the road bike.
Old 09-19-07, 11:01 AM
spokenword

Bikes: ANT Club Racer, 2004 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if I'm cooking dinner that night, I'll throw on my 46L MEC Aqua-Not panniers, put my laptop in one pannier, lunch/clothes/tools/lock in the other.

if I don't have errands to run, I'll use a Carradice Super C seatbag, which is just big enough to fit my laptop, clothes, lunch, tools and locks.

if I am not going to work and just tooling around town, I have a PAC Ultimate messenger bag, which can fit everything and a sack of kittens.

I ride a custom brevet/commuter bike and my rack was custom built for the bike.

Prior to this, I used to commute on a Trek 520 with the stock Trek touring rack.
Old 09-19-07, 12:14 PM
funrover 

Bikes: Mostly schwinn... few classics

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well it is a MTN RACK by blackburn (old)
Panniers by Jando
saddle bag.. ( I forgot who but the company that makes the reflective gear)

and I also use a Camelback Transalp so I can carry around items if needed also!
Old 09-19-07, 12:24 PM
Podolak

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Axxis sport touring rack with a Diamond Back Trunk bag. Still saving up for some Axxis panniers with water proof covers.
Old 09-19-07, 12:53 PM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use two bikes for commuting: a '98 Trek 520 and a '92 Trek 930 set up for road use and long rides.

The 520 was bought used and came with the Trek Interchange rear rack. So far, it's held up well. So, I bought another one for the 930 so I could use the same clip-in trunk/mini pannier bag. I also use the ubiquitous Ortlieb Classic Back Rollers which clip right on the rack. Holds more than enough to commute, and, in a pinch, I can jump right in and take a bath if I want.
Old 09-19-07, 01:02 PM
BAH

Bikes: xtracycle

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
xtracycles for all our hauling needs

My wife's

Mine

Heavy hauler,all weather, speed machine

Old 09-19-07, 01:33 PM
Fuzzydave

Bikes: Raleigh C-30, Yeah bike 20" foldie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.topeak.com/2007/products/...runkbagdxp.php

I've been using this bag for over a year and it's held up very well. I even use it on days when I have to drive. I easily fit a change of clothes (no shoes, those stay at work) and necessary tools in it.
I've been using the corresponding rack with it. when I switch to my folding bike with a regular rack, I tie it down with bungees.
Old 09-19-07, 01:39 PM
Winter76

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just retired my backpack for a pair of 20L Panniers from MEC along with the $15 rack. No other bags or packs.