Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What do you wear to commute on rainy days?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-07, 08:12 AM
fattymcbastard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been commuting on warm days, mild days, cold days and I don't even mind snowy days... but for now, my rain gear is my car. I have plenty of warm stuff, but what do you war for the rain? Be specific, I am really new to foul weather commuting and I have been looking for gear, but I want to get decent stuff so I wont have to replace it in a year.

- Jacket?
- Pants?
- Head?
- Hands?
- Feet?

thanks for your help...
Old 09-26-07, 08:28 AM
Riv-Lantis

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check SS, Surly Straggler, Surly Steamroller fixed, Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Warm rain:
Just my normal cycling gear and change when I get to work. My cycling gear is dry by the time I get ready to ride back home.

Cold rain:
Neoprene shoe covers
Rain pants with the elastic down over the tops of the shoe covers
Rain Jacket with hood pulled over helmet
Neoprene gloves, ski gloves over those if it's really cold

It won't keep you bone dry, but it will keep you from being soaked to the bone for quite a while.
Old 09-26-07, 10:35 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Something like this

plus pertex pants and if it is cold and raining hard, some thin plastic bags between socks and shoes.
Old 09-26-07, 10:45 AM
spokenword

Bikes: ANT Club Racer, 2004 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
for warm rain, I don't wear anything special and just get wet. as another poster said, after 8 hours, the jersey is dry (it's important, of course, to note that this only works for commuting in bike clothes. Commuting in jeans will yield very different results)

for cool rain, I'll throw on a Shower's Pass rain jacket, which is made of Pertex.

for cold rain, I'll add a pair of fleece leggings, full-fingered gloves and sealskinz waterproof socks.

for freezing rain and slush, I'll add a balaclava and lobster claw gloves.
Old 09-26-07, 11:19 AM
joelpalmer
Back after a long absence

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Speedster 3-speed, Raleigh Super Course

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've always had a hard time because I get hot super fast in most rain gear. I have a nice Pearl Izumi jacket that I use (one of those nasty safety ones that turns into a vest) for my upper and unless it's super cold and rainy (as in rain/sleet) I use my normal bike shorts. If it's just cold I have some old REI brand fleece sweats that taper nicely and a pair of convertible glove/mittens that use.
Old 09-26-07, 11:20 AM
D0ugB
Amateur stunt driver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll ditto what others say. I generally dress like its about 10 - 15 deg colder then the air temp is. If I wear anything remotely waterproof (yes I have a Showers Pass jacket made of Event) in any temp above 30 deg. I will sweat enough that you can't tell the difference.

Last edited by D0ugB; 09-26-07 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-26-07, 11:28 AM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spokenword
for warm rain, I don't wear anything special and just get wet. as another poster said, after 8 hours, the jersey is dry (it's important, of course, to note that this only works for commuting in bike clothes. Commuting in jeans will yield very different results)

for cool rain, I'll throw on a Shower's Pass rain jacket, which is made of Pertex.

for cold rain, I'll add a pair of fleece leggings, full-fingered gloves and sealskinz waterproof socks.

for freezing rain and slush, I'll add a balaclava and lobster claw gloves.
This is all good stuff. Gaiters, fenders, gore-tex pants, neoprene booties, gore-tex gloves or mittens(Gordini Summit II - campmor.com) will all help. But if it rains, you're going to get wet. There's no way around it. Rain-x on the outside and Fog-x on the inside of your goggles will help, too in addition to a visor of some sort.
Old 09-26-07, 11:33 AM
thdave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I keep a rain poncho/cape in my daily trunk bag I bring. Works great. I'm in Cleveland, too. Just might use it on the ride home today!

If there's a lot of wind with the rain, your legs will get wet and it will slow you down some. But you don't sweat from it. Works great--it's fun to wear when you ride.
https://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...0226&langId=-1
Old 09-26-07, 11:44 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
First I keep a change of clothes at work, shoes and everything.

In warm rain, I just stuff a change of clothes and everything else that I need into plastic bags and put them in my backpack. I have flexible hours so if possible I may try to wait out the rain. I use NOAA radar online to track the rain.

In cold rain, I wear a rain coat. It's time to get a new one. The one I bought in 1990 has developed a hole in the arm.
Old 09-26-07, 07:18 PM
Jarery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by D0ugB
I generally dress like its about 10 - 15 deg colder then the air temp is. If I wear anything remotely waterproof (yes I have a Showers Pass jacket made of Event) in any temp above 30 deg. I will sweat enough that you can't tell the difference.
When I wear waterproof items I dress like its 10-15 degrees warmer than it really is. If you dress so your comfortable when you leave the house your gonna get soaked in sweat regardless of what your wearing as a shell. You really need to be dressed so your cold when you leave and it takes 10-15 min till comfy.
Old 09-26-07, 07:45 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
A rain cape is far less sweaty than a rain jacket and rain pants. You have to have fenders. The rain cape is a bit problematic in strong wind. Here's my earlier review: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=292431

Last edited by cooker; 09-26-07 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-26-07, 10:21 PM
unixpro
Laid back bent rider

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being in the Seattle area, I'm very familiar with riding in the rain. I put on whatever the temperature calls for underneath the rain gear I got from J&G Cyclewear. They're based in Oregon, where it also rains a lot. Kind of expensive, but worth it if you're going to be a regular rain rider.
Old 09-27-07, 02:18 AM
D0ugB
Amateur stunt driver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarery
When I wear waterproof items I dress like its 10-15 degrees warmer than it really is. If you dress so your comfortable when you leave the house your gonna get soaked in sweat regardless of what your wearing as a shell. You really need to be dressed so your cold when you leave and it takes 10-15 min till comfy.
I knew that would get misinterpreted I don't typically put anything on my arms or legs 'til its less than 50-55 deg. If I try to wear a shell in 40 deg weather even with just a light long sleeve shirt on undeerneath I will be drenched by the time I get in. So if its 60 and raining I would typically just add arm warmers and maybe knee warmersto my shorts and short sleeve shirt.
Old 09-27-07, 05:50 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I drive when it rains, unless it starts during the day, and then I ride home in it. If I'm riding home, it's no big deal getting wet. I haven't found a way to keep my feet dry in the rain, and I get just as wet from sweating if I wear a jacket as I would from the rain.

We just don't get that many rainy days in NC, particularly not this year. I've been bike commuting 3-4 days/week since April and I've only been caught in the rain once. So, I view rainy days as a good opportunity to stock up clothes and other supplies in my office and bring home the dirty laundry.
Old 09-27-07, 07:59 AM
knucklesandwich

Bikes: Kona Jake (2006)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just get wet in warm rain, and bring an extra pair of socks because that's the only thing that really bugs me to put on wet in the evening, if I rode to work in the rain.

Last winter I used a crappy EMS rain jacket that would soak thru on heavy rain days, and did not breathe one bit- a total nightmare. Just ordered a 66North eVent fabric rain jacket from backcountryoutlet.com for pretty cheap that I hope to hell works better than the former.
Old 09-27-07, 01:11 PM
SDRider
Cat None

Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wrap myself in a 3,000 pound silver 4-door sedan.