Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Chain protector on dual chainring?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-23, 10:48 PM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts

Hello,

To keep pants clean, are there chain protectors that fit on this kind of dual chainring?

Thank you.

Old 12-09-23, 07:23 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3465 Post(s)
Liked 1,470 Times in 1,147 Posts
With a triple crank, you can fit one on the outer position and convert the crank to a dual crank with only two chainrings with a bashguard in the outer position.

On my bike with an internal geared hub, only needed a single speed crank, but I used a double chainring crank. I bought a clearance priced large chainring and used a saber saw to cut off the teeth, I then filed the rough saw cuts smooth to make a bashguard. Photo below. After the photo was taken, I sprayed my new bashguard black for better aesthetics.

Or, you can buy an off the shelf bashguard instead. You just need a crank arm that has room for one more chainring, so a triple crank arm if you are using it as a double.

If you try what I did and cut the teeth off of a chainring, the best way to file off the rough saw cuts was to install the ring on the crank. Then hold the file on the chainring as I turned the crank by hand, did that for about 15 minutes to get a good filing job.

That could mess up your chainline, might need a different bottom bracket if it does.

Depending on the desired chainring sizes, you might have trouble finding a big enough chainring for the inner position on a triple crank.
Old 12-09-23, 02:09 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 252 Posts
I gave up on the guards in the form of an extra ring. Relative to what they are supposed to accomplish, they are heavy and clumsy, the opposite of what you want particularly on a folder. Instead, I buy a dedicated plastic chainguard, thin, optimized for its function, and drill and tap mounting holes in the outer ring. It is about half an hour job. The only downside is that you must be precise in drilling the holes. For 5-arm 50T, you have several Shimano chain guard choices, such as FC-3550, RC3000-CG, and R3030-CG. The 3000 is presumably the neatest and requires holes for which there is space on that Stronglight outer ring above.
Old 12-11-23, 12:21 PM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
Thanks for the infos.

I'll try drilling holes in the outer ring.