Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Nothing left but the test ride!

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-17, 08:28 PM
GearJunkie

Bikes: 2017 Giant Anyroad Comax; '19 Trek Stache 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have narrowed my choice down to three different bikes, all Specialized. I like other brands, however, I have a $300 credit at the Specialized LBS. I can spend up to 2K but would like to keep it around $1500. I haven't had a bike since the mid-90's(Fuji Dura Ace) and will need the extra money to gear up a little. I will be riding 60/30/10, road-gravel-two track. The two-tracks will be hilly sometimes eroded but hard packed with some large gravel. I may light pack on those two-tracks with some fly fishing gear. A small rod case and a different pair of shoes. The bikes I have chosen are the base AWOL, the base Sequoia and the Diverge elite DSW. I am leaning towards the Diverge and would be swapping out the 30mm Espoire tires to 35-38mm Triggers to help on the two-tracks. Again 90% of my riding will be on road and hard packed gravel. I have seen quite a few reviews online for the Diverge and the Sequoia but not much on the AWOL. I have read the specs on all three bikes and looking more for some insight on those bikes with like conditions of what I'll be riding on. Thx.
Old 02-16-17, 09:39 PM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by GearJunkie
I have narrowed my choice down to three different bikes, all Specialized. I like other brands, however, I have a $300 credit at the Specialized LBS. I can spend up to 2K but would like to keep it around $1500. I haven't had a bike since the mid-90's(Fuji Dura Ace) and will need the extra money to gear up a little. I will be riding 60/30/10, road-gravel-two track. The two-tracks will be hilly sometimes eroded but hard packed with some large gravel. I may light pack on those two-tracks with some fly fishing gear. A small rod case and a different pair of shoes. The bikes I have chosen are the base AWOL, the base Sequoia and the Diverge elite DSW. I am leaning towards the Diverge and would be swapping out the 30mm Espoire tires to 35-38mm Triggers to help on the two-tracks. Again 90% of my riding will be on road and hard packed gravel. I have seen quite a few reviews online for the Diverge and the Sequoia but not much on the AWOL. I have read the specs on all three bikes and looking more for some insight on those bikes with like conditions of what I'll be riding on. Thx.
Diverge DSW is an outstanding frame. You might also consider a 2016 Diverge DSW Comp which was discontinued for 2017. MSRP was $2400 but you should easily be able to get one from dealer stock for $2k or less. Bumps you up to 11 speed and 105 hydraulic which is a massive difference.

AWOL is very focused on hardcore touring, and Seqouia is bike packing and touring oriented as well. Imo Diverge is the most versatile since it feels speedy on the road, agile on gravel and still has front and rear fender and rack mounts.
Old 02-16-17, 09:44 PM
vinuneuro

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by vinuneuro
Diverge DSW is an outstanding frame. You might also consider a 2016 Diverge DSW Comp which was discontinued for 2017. MSRP was $2400 but you should easily be able to get one from dealer stock for $2k or less. Bumps you up to 11 speed and 105 hydraulic which is a massive difference.

AWOL is very focused on hardcore touring, and Seqouia is bike packing and touring oriented as well. Imo Diverge is the most versatile since it feels speedy on the road, agile on gravel and still has front and rear fender and rack mounts.
Lot less than $2k.

DSW Comp for $1671 and DSW Comp X1 (Sram Force 1) for $1799.

Your Search: "diverge" - Kozy's Chicago Bike Shops | Chicago Bike Stores, Bicycles, Cycling, Bike Repair
Old 02-16-17, 10:15 PM
GearJunkie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
With the credit at the LBS if I can get those prices for the comp dsw I will jump on it. I really don't want to go over 2K and need a little wiggle room for a helmet, SPD's etc. I agree, however, stepping up to the 105's or the SRAM from the Tiagra makes sense. Are they not making those two models for 2017. I did not see them on Specializes website. The good thing is my LBS has three stores in my area and the credit is good for all three. Thanks for the help Vin.
Old 02-18-17, 07:44 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Bike radar just have a gold star to the tiagra, saying it was basically the same as the 105. Tiagra was their top 5 products of the year.
Old 02-18-17, 07:47 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Very different bikes. Diverge is basically a long distance road race bike that takes large tires. The others are going to feel more touring and truck like in comparison
Old 02-19-17, 12:30 PM
vinuneuro

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Bike radar just have a gold star to the tiagra, saying it was basically the same as the 105. Tiagra was their top 5 products of the year.
Everyone says the same about the shift quality of 105 to Ultegra and Ultegra to DA. Tiagra is as good as it's ever been but doesn't mean it's the same as Ultegra or DA, or 105.

Tiagra to 105 is a much bigger jump than up the line. Tiagra vs. 105 is 10sp to 11spd and biggest difference is cable vs. hydraulic disc brakes.
Old 02-19-17, 01:05 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I'd get the tweener - the Sequoia. What you need is an all-rounder bike.

It hits the sweet spot for a do-it all bike. That would be my first pick if I was in the market for a new bike today.
Old 02-19-17, 07:07 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
If 90% road and gravel I'd go with the Diverge. I have ridden mine in single and two track and it does well, though not real challenging single track like my MB days
Old 02-20-17, 02:43 PM
GearJunkie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just found a 2016 comp DSW X1 for $1650. I am hoping it will be there in two weeks when I have the cash to drop down on it. It is a 1x11 with the SRAM Rival One group set. The Elite DSW is $1500 with the Tiagra group set. I'll gladly pay the extra 150 for the SRAM with the hydros. If I am being honest, however, I haven't rode consistently in 20 years so I don't have anything to compare mechanical to hydraulic brakes. Nor do I know if I could tell the difference in the shifting between the two. I won't be riding with many groups(I think) so I don't know if I'll be worried about being between gears with my cadence on the 1x. I like the idea of one shifting lever and all I have read is Hydros stop much smoother and efficiently. Overall, I think for 1650 its a solid find. I thought hard about the sequoia and everyone at the LBS' seem to be in love with them, but like GeneO says with 90% road and gravel I think the Diverge is the one. I wish I had the cash to drop on the expert x1...that is one tough looking bike!
Old 02-20-17, 04:25 PM
vinuneuro

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I just found a 2016 comp DSW X1 for $1650. I am hoping it will be there in two weeks when I have the cash to drop down on it. It is a 1x11 with the SRAM Rival One group set. The Elite DSW is $1500 with the Tiagra group set. I'll gladly pay the extra 150 for the SRAM with the hydros. If I am being honest, however, I haven't rode consistently in 20 years so I don't have anything to compare mechanical to hydraulic brakes. Nor do I know if I could tell the difference in the shifting between the two. I won't be riding with many groups(I think) so I don't know if I'll be worried about being between gears with my cadence on the 1x. I like the idea of one shifting lever and all I have read is Hydros stop much smoother and efficiently. Overall, I think for 1650 its a solid find. I thought hard about the sequoia and everyone at the LBS' seem to be in love with them, but like GeneO says with 90% road and gravel I think the Diverge is the one. I wish I had the cash to drop on the expert x1...that is one tough looking bike!
That's a great deal, msrp was around $2600 on that bike. You can see if the lbs will take a deposit to hold the bike. If you are riding the bike casually I think you will be fine with 1x. Remember that you can always change the cassette and chainring relatively cheaply to suit your terrain. I haven't ridden Rival so I don't know how much better it is than Tiagra but hydro is definitely a noticeable difference over cable, well worth the $150.
Old 02-21-17, 07:52 AM
GearJunkie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the Manistee National Forest in my riding area along with a blend of flat farmland near the home. The MNF is chock full of rolling hills so I will get a good indication of whether I will need to add another chainring. I could use the workout so I may fight through it anyway. Some of those hills are monsters that I may struggle with even if I had two chainrings. Hopefully, I will find out soon enough. There is still alot of snow in the area, but the last four or five days have produced temps. in the 40's and 50's so cabin fever is setting in and the snow has started to leave. Unfortunately, in my neck of the woods it is way too early to say winter is over!
Old 02-28-17, 01:58 PM
GearJunkie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok, so the Diverge Comp DSW for 1650 is sold... unfortunately not to me! I hit a couple of the other LBS' and found a couple of potential good deals. First, a GT Grade 105, for twelve hondos. MSRP $1460 on the GT website. Aluminum frame with a carbon fork. TRP hydro brakes with FSA cranks. The 105 groupset in an 11x32. The second bike, a Kona Private Jake, MSRP's for 2k and he will sell it to me for $1300. This bike is also an aluminum frame with carbon fork and has the SRAM Rival 1 groupset with 1 chainring and TRP Sprye mechanical brakes. The LBS and Kona's website classify this as more of a cyclo bike. I guess I'm looking for insight from anybody who has these bikes. I wo n't be able to purchase until mid-march, financially, and we just got snow last weekend with another 4-8' coming tomorrow. I can't even test ride. If I spend have as much time riding the new bike as I have on the computer researching the new bike I'll be doing good. At this point I'm ready for a purchase.
Old 02-28-17, 02:02 PM
GearJunkie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Uh, that would be 4-8" of snow not 4-8'!
Old 02-28-17, 10:12 PM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 289 Posts
Originally Posted by NormanF
I'd get the tweener - the Sequoia. What you need is an all-rounder bike.

It hits the sweet spot for a do-it all bike. That would be my first pick if I was in the market for a new bike today.
I agree on Sequoia. More versatility on the gravel/dirt.