Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

High speed wobble

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

High speed wobble

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-17, 02:51 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Sounds a bit risky.

First step most due other than checking hubs for axial lash/end play and wheel true, tire pressure etc is, check the head set for preload. A loose headset can promote this. Some frames are more susceptible than others as well.
I have read just the opposite, that play in the headset can quench the shimmy by preventing it from moving through the bike. There is little agreement about this stuff.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 09-15-17, 02:55 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Many years back when the carbon Giant TCR came out, many criticized the bike for being dangerous when descending due to speed wobble. Giant resolved this with subsequent redesigns.

Motorcycles are particularly sensitive to high speed wobble due to wind buffeting. Can be complicated to resolve....referred to as a tank slapper....very scary at high speed.
True story. Fortunately, many motorcycles these days feature either mechanical or electronic steering dampers to take care of this sort of thing and they work really well. Honda's HESD system works particularly well.

I've only had this happen to me on a bicycle once; and in that case I believe it was actually due to a misaligned (i.e., damaged) front fork on a bike I'd bought used and fixed up.
Old 09-16-17, 07:34 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
I've struggled with this a bit, only on steep downhills. Braking seemed to exaggerate it or make it start at slower speeds. Does not happen at any speed on level ground or slight downhills. Goes away if I slide well back on the seat. So I think in my case it is some interaction between me and the bike when there is more weight on my hands or more weight on the front wheel.
Old 09-16-17, 08:16 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Voodoo76
I've struggled with this a bit, only on steep downhills. Braking seemed to exaggerate it or make it start at slower speeds. Does not happen at any speed on level ground or slight downhills. Goes away if I slide well back on the seat. So I think in my case it is some interaction between me and the bike when there is more weight on my hands or more weight on the front wheel.
There's a wide divergence of opinion on how one should deal with this problem; but in motorcycle circles there is a school of thought that says to move your weight back on the bike (such as you're doing on your bicycle) and to accelerate out of the wobble, which is counter-intuitive to say the least.
Old 09-16-17, 08:47 PM
DGlenday

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I had this recently.

A 4 year old bike that I'd ridden at 50 mph several times suddenly started a speed wobble every time I went over 33 mph.

LBS looked it over and found that my spokes needed retensioning.

Problem solved.
Old 09-17-17, 05:27 PM
etw

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Here is the video that was mentioned:

A couple of years ago I had a speed wobble on a descent and have never had one since.
Old 09-21-17, 10:15 AM
giraffelt

Bikes: miyata 312, cannondale synapse 105

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am the original OP and would like to thank all who contributed to the thread. I have been riding the bike for 4 years and have logged approximately 20,000kms. This was the first time I ever experienced a wobble. Since then I have logged about 500 km without a reoccurrence. After reading all the posts and thinking about my experience I assume that because of the cool temperature on the descent so early in the am that I probably induced the wobble by shivering; I also have a hand tremor from time to time so that might have also triggered it.

Scary but now I know what to do should it happen again.