Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Favorite underrated or obscure components in 2017?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-17, 11:20 AM
Metis

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What are your favorite lightweight, stiff, aesthetically pleasing, well-priced, or otherwise great components that aren't surrounded by hype? Looking to get some new handlebars, stem, wheels, heck even skewers that might not be on the radar but offer an awesome value. Curious what people have discovered this year.

For example: This year I tried about a dozen stems and among the popular choices such as FSA, Zipp, and Ritchey I found the proprietary Orbea OCII stem weighed less, had a smaller profile, and worked just as well for about a ninth of the price.
Old 10-24-17, 11:49 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Pro Vibe 7s stem, bars and seatpost. Pro recently released revised versions of this stuff, this is the late 2016 stuff I'm talking about.

- Great engineering. The seatpost is easy to micro adjust, clamps tightly and never creaks. The stem is very stiff, uses an ingenious two bolt design and never creaks. The bars (I got the traditional rounded bend) have a fantastic shape, are very stiff and have effective cable management.
- reasonably light. Lighter than many carbon options.
- reasonably priced. Not cheap, not expensive.
- very durable finishes.
- all stainless hardware. Rusty bolts are annoying.
- nice looking

Overall, these are top quality install and forget items. That's what you want from stems, bars and seatposts. No one thinks about Pro stuff, but it's really good.
Old 10-24-17, 04:06 PM
ReneV

Bikes: FM098-V2, '16 Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kalloy Uno stems (w/graphics removed): perfect weight, price, stiffness, selection, ...

DT Swiss RR21 DiCut wheels (may or may not be hyped; aren't around here): quality justifies price.

DT Swiss RWS road skewers: nothing moves anywhere, ever.

LifeLine Titanium skewers: lightweight with solid construction at awesome price.

Syntace Cork tape: simply in a class of its own, but may be difficult to source.

Deda bar tape: close to Syntace and lighter, cheaper, readily available.

FormMount computer mount: the last out-front mount your bike will ever wear.

Lake CX301: the last riding shoes my feet will ever wear.
Old 10-24-17, 04:59 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ReneV
Kalloy Uno stems (w/graphics removed): perfect weight, price, stiffness, selection, ...

DT Swiss RR21 DiCut wheels (may or may not be hyped; aren't around here): quality justifies price.

DT Swiss RWS road skewers: nothing moves anywhere, ever.

LifeLine Titanium skewers: lightweight with solid construction at awesome price.

Syntace Cork tape: simply in a class of its own, but may be difficult to source.

Deda bar tape: close to Syntace and lighter, cheaper, readily available.

FormMount computer mount: the last out-front mount your bike will ever wear.

Lake CX301: the last riding shoes my feet will ever wear.
Why? Tell us about these? What had you been wearing?

Last edited by Scarbo; 10-24-17 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-24-17, 05:25 PM
ReneV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scarbo
Why? Tell us about Lake CX301s? What does had you been wearing?
For me at least, they're a perfect fit. It feels like I'm wearing nothing, partly because of their weight, I would imagine. I have never at any point experienced any form of discomfort with them (multi-hundred kms, Everesting, daily, ...). My other substantial experiences are with Fi'zi:k and Northwave. I have nothing bad to say about either of them. Indeed, I use a pair of Northwave Extreme Aero for bad weather because the Lakes offer little protection. But, in and of themselves, the Lakes are the most comfortable of any shoes I've ever tried.
Old 10-24-17, 05:28 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
For me at least, they're a perfect fit. It feels like I'm wearing nothing, partly because of their weight, I would imagine. I have never at any point experienced any form of discomfort with them (multi-hundred kms, Everesting, daily, ...). My other substantial experiences are with Fi'zi:k and Northwave. I have nothing bad to say about either of them. Indeed, I use a pair of Northwave Extreme Aero for bad weather because the Lakes offer little protection. But, in and of themselves, the Lakes are the most comfortable of any shoes I've ever tried.
How are they in the toe box, specifically?
Old 10-24-17, 05:37 PM
ReneV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How are the Lake CX301s in the toe box, specifically?
In a word, perfect. But, it's not an area I've ever thought about specifically. Both my big-toe nails are black and blue, of course, but 1) I take that to be part and parcel of most sports and 2) it's only been associated with discomfort when the nails have been coming off (meaning not when it's been happening).
Old 10-24-17, 05:43 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
In a word, perfect. But, it's not an area I've ever thought about specifically. Both my big-toe nails are black and blue, of course, but 1) I take that to be part and parcel of most sports and 2) it's only been associated with discomfort when the nails have been coming off (meaning not when it's been happening).

Thank you. I might check em out.
Old 10-24-17, 05:59 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Thank you. I might check em out.
Hmm.. personally I'd look for positive reviews on a shoe where the reviewer's toes weren't turned black n'blue. ymmv
Old 10-25-17, 04:27 AM
evan326

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 6 Tiagra + 2016 Cannondale CAAD 12 Dura Ace

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Black toenails means your shoes are too small.....
Not sure if it would count, but I got a 4iiii single sided power meter installed on my hollowgram crank. Very happy with it sofar
Old 10-25-17, 05:28 AM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bike Hand bicycle stand. Tired of leaning the bike against walls and cars. Heavy enough to hold it securely but portable. Much better than light plastic stands I have tried.
Old 10-25-17, 05:51 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Fabric saddles.

Zipp CX Course bar tape
Old 10-25-17, 01:34 PM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Redshift Shock stop stem. Got tired of the crappy pavement in NYC. Made beautifully, designed beautifully and works beautifully. I'm totally happy. 10/10.
Old 10-25-17, 03:04 PM
ReneV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evan326
Black toenails means your shoes are too small.....
Yeah, no, that's not it. I played rugby at a high level till my mid-30ies and I probably ride `vigorously', too, now in my 40ies. I've gotten it from most if not all sports shoes, across all brands and relative sizes. It was certainly common in rugby and I get the impression it's not uncommon in cycling. Anyway, as I said above, there's no discomfort!
Old 10-25-17, 03:11 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH

Zipp CX Course bar tape
This is great tape and way cheaper than lizard skins
Old 10-25-17, 04:16 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
Deda bars, stems, and seatposts are rarely the popular brand at the party, but they offer a high QPR (quality to price ratio) and recently, better, more subdued styling.

In particular, their Trentacinque (35) line, the large diameter bars and matching stems, seem not to have caught on (yet) so there is some attractive online pricing on the stuff, particularly from EU retailers. I love the feel of those things!

Another Italian brand, Miche, has revamped their wheel line for this year, and if mid-depth carbon is your thing, there is very competitive pricing (I mean, by other-than-Chinese-brand standards!) on their SWR line. And like Deda, the Miche styling is more refined now than it has been in awhile, and they're really handsome looking. They're hard to find stateside, so no hype here, but they seem like nice pieces of kit.

The ultimate in under-the-radar wheels, though, is American Classic. Their aluminum Argent is, in my eyes, the best alu wheelset available anywhere. They're light (sub 1400gm), aero (30mm), wide (19.4mm internal), high-tech (lacing, hubs, nipples), tubeless, and $900. If they had an "oxic" like ceramic coating on the brake tracks, that'd be it, it'd be the ultimate wheel! Even the lower line 420 Aero 3 at $700 smokes most of the alu competition, and gives up only .4mm in width and ~150gm (for the pair) to Argent.

AC's skewers are sharp AF, too.

But, if you gotta have ceramic brake tracks, the Boyd Altamonts arrived without much fanfare and look snazzy, though you can find some sub $1k Campagnolo Shamal Mille right now, too. DT Swiss Dicut 1400 Oxic may be worth a look, too, in that field.
Old 10-25-17, 05:20 PM
danimal92sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Deda bars, stems, and seatposts are rarely the popular brand at the party, but they offer a high QPR (quality to price ratio) and recently, better, more subdued styling.

In particular, their Trentacinque (35) line, the large diameter bars and matching stems, seem not to have caught on (yet) so there is some attractive online pricing on the stuff, particularly from EU retailers. I love the feel of those things!

Another Italian brand, Miche, has revamped their wheel line for this year, and if mid-depth carbon is your thing, there is very competitive pricing (I mean, by other-than-Chinese-brand standards!) on their SWR line. And like Deda, the Miche styling is more refined now than it has been in awhile, and they're really handsome looking. They're hard to find stateside, so no hype here, but they seem like nice pieces of kit.

The ultimate in under-the-radar wheels, though, is American Classic. Their aluminum Argent is, in my eyes, the best alu wheelset available anywhere. They're light (sub 1400gm), aero (30mm), wide (19.4mm internal), high-tech (lacing, hubs, nipples), tubeless, and $900. If they had an "oxic" like ceramic coating on the brake tracks, that'd be it, it'd be the ultimate wheel! Even the lower line 420 Aero 3 at $700 smokes most of the alu competition, and gives up only .4mm in width and ~150gm (for the pair) to Argent.

AC's skewers are sharp AF, too.

But, if you gotta have ceramic brake tracks, the Boyd Altamonts arrived without much fanfare and look snazzy, though you can find some sub $1k Campagnolo Shamal Mille right now, too. DT Swiss Dicut 1400 Oxic may be worth a look, too, in that field.
Miche is a new one to me, thanks for the tip. I browsed their website and it looks like their tubular wheels are light and appealing, but the clinchers range from real heavy to unbelievably heavy. WOW - a 2400g "carbon" rim wheelset? They're listed as "track" wheels, not sure if that drives additional weight?

Dan

Last edited by danimal92sport; 10-25-17 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-25-17, 07:20 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by danimal92sport
Miche is a new one to me, thanks for the tip. I browsed their website and it looks like their tubular wheels are light and appealing, but the clinchers range from real heavy to unbelievably heavy. WOW - a 2400g "carbon" rim wheelset? They're listed as "track" wheels, not sure if that drives additional weight?

Dan
Maybe you looked more comprehensively than I did, but the carbon SWR RC clinchers in the 36mm/50mm f/r set is listed at 1595gm (+/- 3%) which doesn't seem out of line. For example, Mavic's 40mm Pro Carbon SLC wheelset is 1450gm, and a pair of 45mm Zipp 302 come in at 1645gm. The 50/50 SWR RC are 1610gm, still lighter than Zipp 302 at deeper height.
Old 10-25-17, 11:20 PM
DGlenday

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gettingold
Bike Hand bicycle stand. Tired of leaning the bike against walls and cars. Heavy enough to hold it securely but portable. Much better than light plastic stands I have tried.
I didn't know what that was, and looked it up. It's exactly what I've been looking for ... and I ordered one.

Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 10-25-17, 11:38 PM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
For us tall guys: IRD 200mm cranks for $150. The alternative is something from Zinn for like $650.
Old 10-26-17, 06:14 AM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DGlenday
I didn't know what that was, and looked it up. It's exactly what I've been looking for ... and I ordered one.

Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 10-26-17, 06:24 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Zipp CX Course bar tape
Originally Posted by redlude97
This is great tape and way cheaper than lizard skins
My thoughts exactly. I actually replaced Lizard Skin 3.2 with this tape and it is much nicer.
Old 10-26-17, 06:59 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

My thoughts exactly. I actually replaced Lizard Skin 3.2 with this tape and it is much nicer.
Okay, so what's the deal with this Zipp tape? What's it like and why is it nicer? I'm a Lizardskins user (both 3.2 and 2.5) and really like it, but hey, I'm not wed to it and better is better, so...

I've actually got some Supacaz bar tape waiting to go, and while I haven't used it yet, I do like the way it feels, though it has a lighter texture to it and is not as rich looking as the Lizardskins. Supacaz is also priced about the same as LS, at $40 a set.

So yeah, I'd like to know about the qualities of the Zipp Course tape.

Thanks.
Old 10-26-17, 10:32 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Okay, so what's the deal with this Zipp tape? What's it like and why is it nicer? I'm a Lizardskins user (both 3.2 and 2.5) and really like it, but hey, I'm not wed to it and better is better, so...

I've actually got some Supacaz bar tape waiting to go, and while I haven't used it yet, I do like the way it feels, though it has a lighter texture to it and is not as rich looking as the Lizardskins. Supacaz is also priced about the same as LS, at $40 a set.

So yeah, I'd like to know about the qualities of the Zipp Course tape.

Thanks.
For me I like the texture(more than dsp 2.5) for grip when wet and about the same thickness. Half the cost.
Old 10-26-17, 10:53 AM
Metis

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of cool stuff here!

The Deda Trentacinque (35) caught my eye. New alloy bars are under $23 and carbon for $90 on Ribble, pretty cheap. Looks like a cheap stem is a little more difficult to track down.

Looks like this concept was first released in 2011 or so. Seems like it never caught on big time but there are still some new and reasonably cheap options available.

The Redshift Shock stem looks really interesting, I wonder how well it holds up through a season of heavy use?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.