Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What are some quality Asian brand cycling apparel?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-17, 04:34 AM
Hisamatsu

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Big cycling apparel names like Pearl Izumi, Louis Garneau, Castelli etc... are mostly all US/UK western based companies. I'm in the US so I guess that's mostly what I see in stores.

But, what quality brands do people in Korea, Japan and SE Asia etc wear? Noticed brands like Santic & Spexcel on Aliexpress have sizes more catered towards smaller people being how asians are smaller. A small here is like a medium or larger there.
Old 11-06-17, 07:03 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Pearl Izumi were founded in Tokyo and are owned by Shimano. I can’t tell you for sure what every group rider in Taiwan or Vietnam wears, but I don’t think wearing PI gear is too far off the mark if you’re looking for Asian brands.

Alternatively you could just buy any American/Euro brand name and content yourself with the fact that what you’re wearing was almost certainly made in one of 3 or 4 countries in SE Asia.
Old 11-06-17, 07:14 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
There are a number of European brands that aren't American-sized and, within a given manufacturer's line, you also need to distinguish between stuff that's more race-fit (smaller/tighter) and the stuff that's more club-fit (more, uh, generous).
Old 11-06-17, 08:31 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,545 Times in 7,329 Posts
Garneau is Canadian (the French kind). Met a first cousin of his while on a bike ride in NJ a few years ago. I think they opened a manufacturing plant in VT.
Old 11-06-17, 05:34 PM
Hisamatsu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
Pearl Izumi were founded in Tokyo and are owned by Shimano. I can’t tell you for sure what every group rider in Taiwan or Vietnam wears, but I don’t think wearing PI gear is too far off the mark if you’re looking for Asian brands.

Alternatively you could just buy any American/Euro brand name and content yourself with the fact that what you’re wearing was almost certainly made in one of 3 or 4 countries in SE Asia.
Looking for stuff for my SO, she is pretty short 4'9" & 26" inseam. Even XS Izumi stuff like tights are on the long side. Chinese budget stuff on alixpress sizing can go super small; US small is like a large there. Want to know what quality brands to shop around for. I'm sure there are stuff marketed only over there and less known here.
Old 11-06-17, 06:07 PM
hcgaloi

Bikes: Spcialized RockHopper (free) 1992 Trek T100 Tandem ($220) 2006 Quintana Roo Seduza ($350) 2016 Giant Fastroad ($1100)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought all my cycling outfit on wish.com. It has an app for IOS, too. Everything is made and ship in China. The sizes are for Asian, but they have size charts for body simple conversions. Prices are inexpensive. For example, I bought a cycling outfit for ~$35 including shipping. I found an exact same ones at REI with 75% discount for $175.

BTW, I didn't pay much attention to brand, but more on fit and style. So far, I'm happy with all 8-10 outfit I bought.

Good luck.
Old 11-06-17, 06:16 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
I've bought several bibs/jersey combos off Amazon where I focused on price (paid like $40-60 for a bib by itself or a combo including a jersey). I know everyone says get high quality and don't cheap out on cycling gear, but I cheaped out and so far have been very pleased. I've got one bib I've ridden with several different jerseys literally several hundred times, and although it's a little ragged in a couple of places it's still going strong, and has always been comfortable. I have no idea how it would compare to high end stuff costing $150-200, but since I've always been satisfied with it I'm not inclined to find out.

It's no longer available on Amazon, but I bought these bib shorts back in 2013 for under $26, not expecting them to last long. They've been worn on several hundred rides, washed hundreds of times (on delicate setting, cold water, air dried), and are still being ridden to this day. In fact I'm wearing them right now, going out for a 2nd ride today.

Last edited by SethAZ; 11-06-17 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-06-17, 08:36 PM
ReneV

Bikes: FM098-V2, '16 Synapse

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Champion System, Rapha, Shimano, MAAP, etc., are all widely used in Japan.

Most/all big brands sell their clothing in region-specific sizes. If you want to avoid Spexcel (no reason to!), you may be lucky to find something on amazon.co.jp but international shipping will be tricky.
Old 11-06-17, 08:49 PM
Danny01

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
CREAMseoul | ????
Old 11-06-17, 08:59 PM
indiglow

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti, Bianchi D2 Super Pista

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
If you want to get JDM Pearl Izumi, I may be able to help (Japan based). I am likely heading back to the states for Thanksgiving, so shipping will be cheaper for you. PM me and we might be able to work something out.
Old 11-06-17, 09:23 PM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Anything you want from Asia you can get in the states.

The two brands I know from Japan are Shimano and Sugoi. Mont-Bell is also popular here, but really people are wearing same gear here as they do in America. People in Japan also are buying from same European websites (free shipping here too).
Old 11-06-17, 09:34 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Hisamatsu
But, what quality brands do people in Korea, Japan and SE Asia etc wear? Noticed brands like Santic & Spexcel on Aliexpress have sizes more catered towards smaller people being how asians are smaller. A small here is like a medium or larger there.
They wear the same stuff.

Try these guys: OHIOSPORT

Made in Taiwan, good quality and sizing on the race fit stuff runs a little small.

Old 11-06-17, 09:34 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Originally Posted by San Pedro
Anything you want from Asia you can get in the states.

The two brands I know from Japan are Shimano and Sugoi. Mont-Bell is also popular here, but really people are wearing same gear here as they do in America. People in Japan also are buying from same European websites (free shipping here too).
Sugoi is Canadian.

Old 11-06-17, 09:41 PM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
Sugoi is Canadian.
Mind blown. I thought it was Japanese because of the name (means amazing/wow in Japanese).
Old 11-06-17, 09:49 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Originally Posted by San Pedro
Mind blown. I thought it was Japanese because of the name (means amazing/wow in Japanese).
I'm not 100% on who owns them now, but I sold them in the 90's. They were from Vancouver, iirc. Def West Coast, Canada.

Old 11-07-17, 04:14 PM
canamdad

Bikes: 1980 Mercian Pro steel, 2005 Specialized Roubaix, 2016 Norco Search, 2018 Ritchey Breakaway, 2019 Giant Defy

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Sugoi ownership

Still Canadian (but of course manufactured off-shore). Owned by Dorel Industries (Cannondale & others)
Old 11-07-17, 11:43 PM
DGlenday

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
There's a brand called Monton Sports.

Decent people who were important sponsors in a race I put on earlier this year. And I found them right here, on bikeforums.

I believe they're based in either mainland China or in Taiwan ... I'm not sure which.

Give them a try...
Old 11-08-17, 01:13 AM
Hisamatsu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DGlenday
There's a brand called Monton Sports.

Decent people who were important sponsors in a race I put on earlier this year. And I found them right here, on bikeforums.

I believe they're based in either mainland China or in Taiwan ... I'm not sure which.

Give them a try...
I like their sizing.

https://www.montonsports.com seems to be China based and sell direct. Wonder if the stuff for sale on aliexpress are real or fakes using their brand.