Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Dangers from Coyotes?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Dangers from Coyotes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-19, 05:18 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Oooooh, love to hear the song dogs at night! Along with the Milky Way hanging in an inky black sky, it's part of the spiritual recharge I get when camping.
You mean like the Thin Lizzy song? 😁😉
I've heard coyotes calling more times than I can count now, but the first time or two, it's a little unnerving. Wolves, on the other hand, don't sound very scary, but are supposed to be way more dangerous.
BTW, I'm still touring in Arizona, near Prescott now, so the coyote are pretty common. 😲
I hope they don't have a thing for corned beef, a lady gave me a huge baggy-ful of leftovers today. 😁😉
Old 03-18-19, 05:33 PM
chrisx

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
The Coyote's Bicycle: The Untold Story of Seven Thousand Bicycles and the Rise of a B

For readers of Jon Krakauer and Susan Orlean, The Coyote's Bicycle brings to life a never-before-told phenomenon at our southern border, and the human drama of those who would cross.

It wasn’t surprising when the first abandoned bicycles were found along the dirt roads and farmland just across the border from Tijuana, but before long they were arriving in droves. The bikes went from curiosity, to nuisance, to phenomenon. But until they caught the eye of journalist Kimball Taylor, only a small cadre of human smugglers—coyotes—and migrants could say how or why they’d gotten there. This is the story of 7,000 bikes that made an incredible journey and one young man from Oaxaca who arrived at the border with nothing, built a small empire, and then vanished.

Taylor follows the trail of the border bikes through some of society’s most powerful institutions, and, with the help of an unlikely source, he reconstructs the rise of one of Tijuana’s most innovative coyotes. Touching on immigration and globalization, as well as the history of the US/Mexico border, The Coyote’s Bicycle is at once an immersive investigation of an outrageous occurrence and a true-crime, rags-to-riches story.

https://www.amazon.com/Coyotes-Bicyc.../dp/1978650426

​​​​​​​
Old 03-18-19, 06:16 PM
willibrord

Bikes: carbon bamboo composite is the best

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisx
For readers of Jon Krakauer and Susan Orlean, The Coyote's Bicycle brings to life a never-before-told phenomenon at our southern border, and the human drama of those who would cross.

It wasn’t surprising when the first abandoned bicycles were found along the dirt roads and farmland just across the border from Tijuana, but before long they were arriving in droves. The bikes went from curiosity, to nuisance, to phenomenon. But until they caught the eye of journalist Kimball Taylor, only a small cadre of human smugglers—coyotes—and migrants could say how or why they’d gotten there. This is the story of 7,000 bikes that made an incredible journey and one young man from Oaxaca who arrived at the border with nothing, built a small empire, and then vanished.

Taylor follows the trail of the border bikes through some of society’s most powerful institutions, and, with the help of an unlikely source, he reconstructs the rise of one of Tijuana’s most innovative coyotes. Touching on immigration and globalization, as well as the history of the US/Mexico border, The Coyote’s Bicycle is at once an immersive investigation of an outrageous occurrence and a true-crime, rags-to-riches story.

https://www.amazon.com/Coyotes-Bicyc.../dp/1978650426

​​​​​​​
So thats what your doing down on the southern border, with all your crossings and your bicycles. Better get it all done beofre the wall is built!
Old 03-18-19, 06:20 PM
chrisx

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by willibrord
So thats what your doing down on the southern border, with all your crossings and your bicycles. Better get it all done beofre the wall is built!
bad guess.

Old 03-18-19, 06:40 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by chrisx
bad guess.

Very cool, can you educate us on the meaning? I'm originally from Pennsylvania, and know right next to nothing about Mexican or Native American culture. I do have a small collection of turquoise jewelry going now, as it's my birthstone. Most recent purchase was a huge belt buckle, made with Mexican silver, and having 3 huge turquoise stones. Unfortunately, one stone is damaged, but that's why I could afford it, lol. 😁😉
Old 03-18-19, 08:55 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine

Very cool, can you educate us on the meaning? I'm originally from Pennsylvania, and know right next to nothing about Mexican or Native American culture. I do have a small collection of turquoise jewelry going now, as it's my birthstone. Most recent purchase was a huge belt buckle, made with Mexican silver, and having 3 huge turquoise stones. Unfortunately, one stone is damaged, but that's why I could afford it, lol. 😁😉
Its not Mexican, its Egyptian. It's the Eye of Horus.

The Eye of Horus, also known as wadjet, wedjat or udjat, is an ancient Egyptian symbol of protection, royal power, and good health. The Eye of Horus is similar to the Eye of Ra, which belongs to a different god, Ra, but represents many of the same concepts.
Wikipedia

(Google is your friend)
Old 03-18-19, 09:38 PM
chrisx

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by skookum
its Egyptian. )
The Eye of Horus and the Eye of Ra: Not the Same ? Michael Fassbender

The Eye of Horus and the Eye of Ra: Not the Same

The Eye of Ra and the Eye of Horus are literally as different as the sun and moon. They pertain to deities with similarities in their iconography and a certain overlap in their roles and attributes, but

In Mexico, coyote has a different meaning.

Cruzar la frontera de México con un coyote por 700 dólares

https://translate.google.com/?
hl=es#view=home&op=translate&sl=es&tl=en&text=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.elmundo.es%2Finternacional%2F2018%2F 11%2F29%2F5bfede2f21efa0c17f8b4690.html

https://www.elmundo.es/internacional...17f8b4690.html

Old 03-18-19, 11:03 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by skookum
Its not Mexican, its Egyptian. It's the Eye of Horus.

Wikipedia

(Google is your friend)
But if I googled everything I didn't understand, I'd never have time to ride my bike. 😁
Somehow, Egypt seems to not fit the thread topic. 🤔
Old 03-18-19, 11:36 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine

. 😁
Somehow, Egypt seems to not fit the thread topic. 🤔
Nope. But it is a cool image.
Old 03-19-19, 11:07 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by willibrord
So thats what your doing down on the southern border, with all your crossings and your bicycles. Better get it all done before the wall is built!
A. I won't live that long.

B. I would just tote a ladder and some wire snips.
Old 03-19-19, 11:27 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Not to worry, they only use ACME.
Old 03-19-19, 06:33 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by Rollfast
Not to worry, they only use ACME.
(beep beep)
Old 03-19-19, 11:14 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
I saw a coyote on my ride tonight. It was a pretty big size, like a German Shepherd. Thankfully it was more scared of me than I was of it. I yelled and he ran off.

This was, incidentally, in the residential Overton Park neighborhood on the west side of Fort Worth, right in town.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 03-20-19, 04:50 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
The local (Detroit) news had a news segment yesterday with video of a mature, healthy looking coyote in a Detroit neighborhood. Rattled residents called the police, the police call DNR types who drove up, then drove off suggesting "so?" Nice looking animal, hope it's left alone. Folks were advised to keep an eye on their pets.
Old 03-20-19, 05:07 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
The local (Detroit) news had a news segment yesterday with video of a mature, healthy looking coyote in a Detroit neighborhood. Rattled residents called the police, the police call DNR types who drove up, then drove off suggesting "so?" Nice looking animal, hope it's left alone. Folks were advised to keep an eye on their pets.
As I noted somewhere above, there have been thousands living in Cook County, IL (which includes Chicago) for years. Many live within the city itself.
Old 03-20-19, 05:23 AM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts

Middle coyote weighed 48 lbs..a big yote.
In North Carolina open season year round on hunting coyotes...we are over run with yotes. They kill young fawns, mature deer, cats, sheep, goats, chickens, small and medium sized dogs and larger older dogs. They are caggy stealthy hunters and hunt all the time when not in their dens nursing pups.
The lost dog or cat signs posted on telephone poles for the most part are likely coyote kills. Coyotes will hunt hedge rows of a field for cover and concealment. They run deer in packs. They fear humans more than humans fear them. The issue is they are cross breeding with wild dogs and reproducing a “coy dog” which is a much larger coyote. Not good.
Coyote hunting is interesting and very strategic.

Like most politicians, they eat will their own and are cannibals.
Old 03-20-19, 09:11 AM
bobwysiwyg

Michigan also permits year-round coyote hunting. Naturally only in areas where hunting is permitted. Even night hunting is permitted with certain weapons restrictions.
Old 03-21-19, 03:30 PM
D1quicksoul

Bikes: Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To be honest, I never thought the were very dangerous. I hear them often on my commute (in the morning) and I see them once-in-a-while but they are always running away or watching from a distance.

That being said, a little while ago, at the start of my early morning commute (still dark out) I was chased by a pack of coyotes. It felt like I was being "hunted".

Not sure if that was the case though.

It did scare me... Even wrote about it in a post on my newbie blog.
Old 03-22-19, 09:58 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote_attack
Old 03-23-19, 05:32 AM
bobwysiwyg

Originally Posted by greatscott
Interesting reading, thanks. I must admit, my few personal encounters have been with lone, less than well fed looking coyote that were very timid in their behavior. Had I encountered, say three, well fed looking examples like the latest one videoed in Beverly Hills (Mich.) and they seemed to stand their ground, focused on me, I would likely be very concerned.
Old 03-23-19, 11:34 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
That's why on my rides I carry this

Old 03-23-19, 12:51 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,049 Times in 1,171 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
That's why on my rides I carry this

What might it be ?, all I see is a top tube bag, a computer, an aero bar and something else that isn’t clear in the photo.
Old 03-23-19, 02:31 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.

What might it be ?, all I see is a top tube bag, a computer, an aero bar and something else that isn’t clear in the photo.
Sorry,
Bear spray. Besides good wildlife safety habits, it's the best non lethal legal deterrent. Good for coyotes, bear, cougar, dogs, muggers and jackalopes

Technically, you aren't legally allowed to carry it for people as it then becomes a weapon but I think one could make a strong argument for self defense if you primarily carried it for animals but needed to use it to stop an unexpected assault as long as it wasn't an argument/pissing match considering the other options (gun knife) are often illegal to carry or lethal.
Old 03-23-19, 04:03 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

I slept near Paulden, Arizona ((a bit North of Chino Valley), last night, and the coyotes were really raising heck. I yelled at them to stop, but they wouldn't listen. 🙄😁
Old 03-23-19, 07:54 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Sorry,
Bear spray. Besides good wildlife safety habits, it's the best non lethal legal deterrent. Good for coyotes, bear, cougar, dogs, muggers and jackalopes

Technically, you aren't legally allowed to carry it for people as it then becomes a weapon but I think one could make a strong argument for self defense if you primarily carried it for animals but needed to use it to stop an unexpected assault as long as it wasn't an argument/pissing match considering the other options (gun knife) are often illegal to carry or lethal.
I carry mine on my person most of the time, in case I get separated from the bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.