Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Advice on hybrid pedals clips vs flat pedals

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Advice on hybrid pedals clips vs flat pedals

Old 09-30-18, 02:07 AM
jitenshajin

Bikes: Far too many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
I have a pair of Shimanos that have SPD on one side and platform on the other (see pic below). I find them a pain in the keister to flip around and get to the "correct" side, especially from a stop.

Like a few other forum members, I've gone from platforms to SPD and am back to platforms again. I see no real advantage to being clipped into the bike. Others will no doubt carry on about how clipless pedals are the cat's meow, as I once did. I got tired of hot spots and my feet going numb. This no longer happens now that I'm back to platforms.

I really like the Shimano Saint MX80 pedals, but they have been discontinued. The Shimano GR500 is practically the same pedal with slightly more weight.

Shimano A530 Clipless/Platform Pedal:
I use this model. All metal construction, no plastic resin. A very durable pedal, like most from Shimano. You could use these with any type of bike. You have the choice of using both SPD cleated shoes, or regular shoes. The platform is larger than most other combo pedals, so you have plenty to push on. Good for mountain biking with regular shoes, or even just going to the shops. OK, you do have to flip the pedal round, depending on which shoe you are using. But this is a small gripe, as you should be keeping your feet on the pedals once you get the correct side. The platform side has more weight, so tends to fall to the bottom. This, if anything just makes it more predictable, as to whether you will need to flip them. If you are using SPD shoes, you have to clip in anyway, and once done so, there is no problem. For a do it all pedal, these are a good choice.
Old 09-30-18, 08:36 AM
backonblack

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
You're not "tied" to the pedals. In the event of an accident you would instinctively dislodge from the bike. That is an irrational conclusion that I suspect may be the result of a phobia of some sort. Nevertheless, I understand p phobias, and recognize that it is your decision to make.
Your feet won't dismount in some directions, been there. Its a reality. Your a bit weird dude.
Old 10-01-18, 08:11 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by backonblack
Thats why I said personally. I ride aggressively and dont like the thought of my feet being tied to the pedals in a situation where I might need to plant a foot on the ground in a hairy situation. Had I been using clips during my accident it may of gone much worse. Just the sense of being tied to the bike while riding urks me.
That's why they make both kinds of pedals. Every one has a different ride. I ride old-school short-travel 'NORBA' hardtails on tight, technical East-Coast singletrack.
You've got to be a lot more active with your bike handling compared to a modern big-wheel D/S bike. Clipless lets me ride out of setups where I might have got bucked off, or spun out were I using flats.

I've also been at it long enough to get my release springs dialed in; tight enough that I've never unclipped accidentally, but not so tight that I feel 'tied to the pedal'
Old 10-01-18, 11:00 AM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I use Shimano PD-T400 CLICK'R Clipless Pedals. I doubt I get any benefit from the cleats but need to index my feet, I have a bit of nephropathy and have difficulty placing my feet without looking down. The unhook very easily and are double sided and can still be used with flat shoes just fine.
Old 10-01-18, 03:47 PM
Ridethewestside

Bikes: Marin Terra Linda, Cannondale Slice, many beloved Citibikes.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clengman
I have Shimano PD-A530 on my commuter bike. I use the SPD side 90% of the time. I like them. I keep a pair of tennis shoes at work to change into when I arrive.

The only times I use the flat side are when 1) I'm towing my daughter on her tag along, 2) Short trip to a store, or 3) I'm meeting someone after work and I don't want to carry a second pair of shoes in my bag. It's nice to have the option to ride with regular shoes and no retention.

The flat sides of the pedals are not particularly grippy, but they work well enough. If I'm riding with "regular" shoes I consider it a take-it-easy day.

I've never used any of the pinned, mountain bike, platform pedals. I don't know if I would like them or not. I know I like being attached with the SPDs. For me it's not so much a matter of efficiency or getting more power to the crank. I just feel more secure with good foot retention.
Same here, I love the SPD hybrid commuter pedals. I use both sides pretty regularly depending upon where I'm going and what shoes I need for that. I use mtb shoes because they're grippier and safer for nyc sidewalk walking and the marble floors of my apartment building and work lobby. The clip is recessed a bit too, so it's less "clicky" when walking around. Good luck!
Old 10-01-18, 03:57 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by backonblack
Thats why I said personally. I ride aggressively and dont like the thought of my feet being tied to the pedals in a situation where I might need to plant a foot on the ground in a hairy situation. Had I been using clips during my accident it may of gone much worse. Just the sense of being tied to the bike while riding urks me.
In mountain biking there's a lot bigger safety factor in there being a lot more crashes and a lot more need to put a foot down, and a lot of people only ride flats because of the difficulty with clipless. Say, you're are riding over a log and your tire starts slipping and either you get a foot down or you land on your shoulder. Stuff like that.

In road riding you don't have those kind of terrain difficulties so it's more of a question of being willing to put in the practice in learning it, and whether your brain and muscle memory adapts to clipless or not. For most people it does, but for some it doesn't, and clipless doesn't offer benefits for the casual rider that you couldn't also get with good pedal and shoe selection with flats. My brain and muscle memory adapted to clipless fine but I ended up going back to flats because they are more comfortable and more enjoyable to use for me.

Clipless is a good system but you do see a few nasty spills with pro racers where their foot remained clipped in in a crash and it went worse than it would have otherwise. I don't think it's something huge to worry about if your brain and muscle memory adapted well to clipless, but claims that there's never any drawback ever are not true.
Old 10-07-19, 03:51 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
I'm looking at getting the Shimano EH500 SPD pedals for my road/race bike. Has anyone used these for road biking? I'm just concerned that some of these "hybrid" options don't do either particularly well....although it seems like it would be really tough to screw up platforms.
Old 10-07-19, 06:36 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I had my first-ever unclipping emergency the other day. My front tire suddenly slipped sideways on some crappy, cracked concrete and the tire then slipped right into the vertical crack and got stuck, completely taking over control of the front end of the bike. It happened in an instant, as these things do. I had no time to think. Suddenly, I was looking at my left foot on the pavement. It just appeared there. I unclipped without thinking. It just happened. And I didn't put the bike down.

I am no extreme expert cyclist. I would say I am an average, experienced roadie. But my body somehow knew what it had to do without any instruction on my part. It was gratifying. And lucky.

Look Keo Max + Look Keo Grip Cleats
Old 10-08-19, 08:40 AM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
@bpcyclist, what pedals do you have and how long have you been using them?
Old 10-08-19, 09:02 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Pedals

Originally Posted by TriBiker19
@bpcyclist, what pedals do you have and how long have you been using them?
I am just using the Look Keo 2 Max Pedals, the non-carbon ones. Very basic. And I use the cleats with 4.5 deg. of float that have the grippy material on them, so I don't slip on this wet pavement we have here most of the year. I've had this setup for about two years.
Old 10-08-19, 10:16 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
For recreational cyclists, pedals are completely a matter of preference. You can't know what you prefer until you try them. I've gone from toe clips to clipless to BMX flat pedals. At each stage I liked what I was using. I'm currently with flats, which I continue to like more than the other choices. It really is a matter of personal preference.
Old 10-08-19, 01:41 PM
Fendertele

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by TriBiker19
I'm looking at getting the Shimano EH500 SPD pedals for my road/race bike. Has anyone used these for road biking? I'm just concerned that some of these "hybrid" options don't do either particularly well....although it seems like it would be really tough to screw up platforms.
I use the ED500 (clipless both sides) on my road bike and they work well. Easy to clip in and out.
Old 10-09-19, 04:26 AM
Slash1909

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hated CB but switched to them after the Mallet E came out. Its unbelievably good. Grippy, durable and works hassel-free.
Old 10-09-19, 06:09 AM
FLYBYU

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I use Shimano SPD pedals, clipless on both sides. I have injured myself far more with flat pedals unfortunately. Flat pedals don't offer the support I need and they stick out more that the tiny SPD pedal. I even put SPD pedals on my folding bike when I bought it, I couldn't stand the flats. Could be my foot size, I have size 14 feet, most flats just feel super uncomfortable.
Old 10-09-19, 09:53 AM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
I have a pair of Shimanos that have SPD on one side and platform on the other (see pic below). I find them a pain in the keister to flip around and get to the "correct" side, especially from a stop.
I had one sided Mallets on my BMX bike and I know exactly what you mean.
Old 05-03-20, 02:10 PM
Andrew Sullivan

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah! Surely Shimano SPD pedals, clipless on both sides!
Old 05-03-20, 02:54 PM
SlvrDragon50

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Old post, but I thought I would add in that I've been extremely happy with my Crank Brothers Mallet 3 pedals. Great for around town and great when clipped in.