Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What is Your End Goal?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What is Your End Goal?

Old 11-11-20, 05:17 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 113 Posts
What is Your End Goal?

While seemingly satisfied and distracted for a while, the old N+1 bug is starting to creep in again, prompted by finding something on criagslist that I wasn't even looking for, and then missing out on actually getting it. That of course lead to a search for something similar... something similar to that which I wasn't even searching for to begin with.

So all this has me wondering, what am I doing? What is my end goal here? For a while I thought I might just content myself with trying to collect all of the important models from a certain brand. But, more recently, after seeing so much about the various steel iterations, I'm now thinking my goal should be to acquire (not necessarily contemporaneously) a good example of every major Columbus steel tubing, plus one aluminum and one carbon bike just so I can be reminded how much better the steel is.

Am I crazy? Do most of you have some sort of long term plan or roadmap, or are you just sort of feeling your way along? I'd like to hear about how some of you go about abating your N+1 thirst.
Old 11-11-20, 05:38 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
No real long term plans. For the short-term, I have a bike's worth of '80s Campagnolo for which I'm hunting a nice 56/57 frameset. Parting-out is no fun. Still on the long-term lookout for a 531SL, maybe a Mondia Super. In the next few years, I'd like to thin down to three-four bikes. I'm currently at six.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 11-11-20, 05:48 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
Maslow’s bikes.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 11-11-20, 05:58 PM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 100 Posts
For me it is all about the hunt. Not necessarily bike related either. People at garage sales often ask if I'm looking for anything in particular.......I'll know it when I see it. This does not always fair well with the control tower.

Old 11-11-20, 05:59 PM
BlueDevil63 
my name is Jim

Bikes: too many or not enough

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 93 Posts
Yes you are crazy.
70 Pogliaghi ItalCorse, 72 De Rosa, 72 Masi Gran Criterium, 75 Masi Gran Criterium, 77 Melton, 79 Bianchi Super Leggera, 79 Gios Super Record, 81 Picchio Special, 82 Guerciotti Super Record, 82 Colnago Profil CX, 83 Colnago Superissimo, 84 Fuso

Old 11-11-20, 06:01 PM
BlueDevil63 
my name is Jim

Bikes: too many or not enough

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 93 Posts
But seriously...

Obviously don't overstretch finances or relationships but otherwise whatever floats your boat. I have had various themes (panto, drillium, chrome head lugs, countries, brands). In the end I just ended up with a small core of what I just think are beautiful bikes and then just keep moving bikes through because I like to work on them, like to look at them, but then am alright with passing them on (I take a bunch of pictures of every bike).
70 Pogliaghi ItalCorse, 72 De Rosa, 72 Masi Gran Criterium, 75 Masi Gran Criterium, 77 Melton, 79 Bianchi Super Leggera, 79 Gios Super Record, 81 Picchio Special, 82 Guerciotti Super Record, 82 Colnago Profil CX, 83 Colnago Superissimo, 84 Fuso

Likes For BlueDevil63:
Old 11-11-20, 06:05 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
No goals, really, just to enjoy the hobby. I have enough demands pulling me in different directions every day with work and family that I don't want this hobby causing me any stress. I try to keep the hobby cheap (cost-neutral is a fantasy), so I pass time looking for deals, like cheap derailleurs or wheel parts, since I like working on derailleurs and building wheels. I'm selective about the things I add to my stash, too, so things remain saleable if my interest strays. I ride when I can, try to sell what I'll never use, and keep small projects going.
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 11-11-20, 06:07 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
To live long and prosper.
Best, Ben
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 11-11-20, 06:10 PM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Bikes: enough one would think, but thinking isn't my strong point

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 206 Posts
i think i'm just enjoying this partly as a mechanical hobby (used to be an aircraft mechanic in the air force and i like to tinker), partly to try finding the ride(s) that get me twitterpated to enjoy for awhile, then when i hanker some something different, sell for at least some return on the $$ spent, and the enjoyment of a bit of machinery that i recovered and rebuilt into something useable and cool. and maybe a bit of tweaking my non conformist nose to the cookie cutter flat black legion of Specialized and Trek carbon that dominates the roadways around here.
Likes For cocoabeachcrab:
Old 11-11-20, 06:12 PM
Unshore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I'm that way too I don't know why. Sometimes a certain thing will tug at me just looking at it and I feel compelled to own one or know more about it. I think maybe I just look to look.
Likes For Unshore:
Old 11-11-20, 06:16 PM
BFisher

Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 889 Posts
No end goal. Just like to clean/fix up old bikes and ride them. I have more than enough, but if I see one for sale that interests me I'll snag it. Did just that today.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 11-11-20, 06:16 PM
Yelbom15

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 46 Posts
I mean to own every single quality of Columbus tubing is a pretty far fetch but who am I to point fingers. There are far more questionable hobbies out there. It's a hobby and it's something that should make you happy. I'd hope so at least. I'd like to have some decent steel frames hanging up in the house but other than that, it's mostly trying to collect complete group sets and hubs. I think it's fascinating to find components that were intended for abuse to have seen none of it but the inside of a box unseen by others.
Likes For Yelbom15:
Old 11-11-20, 07:30 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,353 Times in 882 Posts
My job is all plans and roadmaps - don't need that for hobbies.

Typically, there are long periods of stagnation, interrupted by the occasional brainstorm or chance opportunity.
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 11-11-20, 07:33 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 113 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. Was just curious what the through process was for everyone, so this is interesting reading.

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
No real long term plans. For the short-term, I have a bike's worth of '80s Campagnolo for which I'm hunting a nice 56/57 frameset. Parting-out is no fun. Still on the long-term lookout for a 531SL, maybe a Mondia Super. In the next few years, I'd like to thin down to three-four bikes. I'm currently at six.
I've also been in a situation where I thought I was happy with the number of bikes I had, but somehow wound up getting a full groupset together piece by piece, so that prompted a frame search.

As for thinning down, sometimes I feel attracted to the idea of having just one bike that gets all my use, love and meticulous attention. But then when I try to imagine which bike it would be, I'm never even close to deciding. I'm still hoping that one day, having sampled enough brands and materials, I can narrow it down to just a few keepers.

Originally Posted by Yelbom15
I mean to own every single quality of Columbus tubing is a pretty far fetch but who am I to point fingers. There are far more questionable hobbies out there. It's a hobby and it's something that should make you happy.
First off, I totally agree (and keep reminding the wife) that there are indeed much more questionable hobbies out there. And while bikes aren't cheap, there are also way more expensive hobbies as well.

As for the Columbus quest, I wouldn't ever aspire to get every variety ever produced, but at least the bigger names in the three main categories: SL, SLX for Cyclex (with MS being a fantasy there); MAX, EL-OS, Genius and Nemo or Neuron for Nivacrom; Spirit or Life for Niobium; and maybe something special in XCr to put the cherry on top. Yeah, a little ridiculous I guess...
Likes For robertorolfo:
Old 11-11-20, 07:33 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,071 Times in 633 Posts
Doomsday... errrr... retirement prepping. I enjoy the mechanical aspect of the hobby and the riding, but need to get back to doing more riding and less wrenching. I expect to have other creative hobbies when I ultimately step away from working.
Old 11-11-20, 07:42 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
I expect to have other creative hobbies when I ultimately step away from working.
Careful!

I have fly rods and kayaks coming out of my ears.

Not one bit less expensive than bikes....
Old 11-11-20, 08:15 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
I guess I was "feeling my way along" until I snagged the Super Leggera summer of 2019. Since that was a back-of-my-mind grail bike, and I found it quite by accident, my collecting instinct has been sated. In fact, since that time I've broken down two bikes and sold all their components and will list the frames locally shortly. My collection (really 4 riders and two "special bikes") will be complete with the release of one, perhaps two more bikes. They aren't getting ridden, so...

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 11-11-20, 08:16 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Originally Posted by gomango
Careful!

I have fly rods and kayaks coming out of my ears.

Not one bit less expensive than bikes....
I'm thinking of gardening and woodworking... and perhaps trying my hand at building a kayak or canoe.
Old 11-11-20, 08:18 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

...perhaps trying my hand at building a kayak or canoe.
I thought about that - and Pygmy Boats is right here. Passed as I never even tried paddling even with a plastic rental!

Currently I'm looking into taking instruction in watchmaking.

DD
Old 11-11-20, 08:41 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 608 Posts
As I learn more about my favorite time and place in cycling history (post-war Britain) I've found that it's just as important for me to be collecting and reading period literature, ranging from company brochures to weekly magazines to maintenance books, as it is to gather parts and build actual bikes. So instead of trying to build and ride more than a couple of bikes at a time I've leaned more towards the related intellectual pursuits, and am currently trying to pass on projects that now seem superfluous and just enjoy riding what I have (or nearly have) ready to roll.

Not going into further credit card debt, which has proved awfully expensive after a few years of maxed out interest rates, is a primary goal that I am helping to reverse by consolidating my collection and finessing my needs.

-Gregory
Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 11-11-20, 08:41 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
I thought about that - and Pygmy Boats is right here. Passed as I never even tried paddling even with a plastic rental!

Currently I'm looking into taking instruction in watchmaking.

DD
I've spent a fair amount of time in kayaks and canoes. I also happen to live about 3 miles from a boat launch and marina on Smith Mountain Lake (which is a pretty big deal in this part of Virginia). If I can make a nice one, I feel confident that upscaling operations wouldn't be hard and could make a few a year to supplement my budget. That said, it might eat into my cycling time.
Old 11-11-20, 08:56 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 575 Posts
It's not the destination for me, it's the journey. I see something that interests me, fits and the price is right I buy it. My tastes are quite eclectic and I prefer bikes that need work, I enjoy working on them as much as anything.
Old 11-11-20, 08:57 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

I've spent a fair amount of time in kayaks and canoes. I also happen to live about 3 miles from a boat launch and marina on Smith Mountain Lake (which is a pretty big deal in this part of Virginia). If I can make a nice one, I feel confident that upscaling operations wouldn't be hard and could make a few a year to supplement my budget. That said, it might eat into my cycling time.
They're beautiful creations when completed, with all the little details we like to see here in the bikes, too. And I live 1/4 mile from the perfect paddling river - and a good-sized lake a couple miles downriver. But I'd have to find a public place to build it with my current housing situation, and then I don't know how often I'd get in it! Sounds like you're in a position not only to build one for yourself but perhaps more for others. Good deal! But yeah, leave enough time to turn the cranks, too

DD
Old 11-11-20, 09:17 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4667 Post(s)
Liked 5,764 Times in 2,270 Posts
1. Retirement
2. Building frames, doing frame mods, etc.
3. Riding with my buddies, credit card touring, Cino, Eroica, FFD, etc.
4. Every once in awhile find a grail bike, and buy it (Herse, Singer, Routens, et al)
Old 11-11-20, 09:46 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
I could see myself with a decked blue water sailing canoe, this one is gorgeous.

: Mike

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.