Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

First Post Covid Rides

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

First Post Covid Rides

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-21, 07:16 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
First Post Covid Rides

Santa delivered Covid to the entire family this year. After being sedentary for nearly 2 weeks I spun off 20 miles yesterday and 25 miles today. Yesterday was a little painful. Today I felt great. My lungs are fresh. I am so very thankful that none of us had a rough go of it.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 01-04-21, 08:36 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Paul Barnard I'm glad it wasn't worse for you and your family, and that you are all recovering now. My daughter said she was going to wait all night by the chimney for Santa with a touch-free IR thermometer and some screening questions, and if he passed, then make him mask-up and sanitize. She and her family woke up to presents, so I guess St. Nick agreed to the terms.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 01-05-21, 12:02 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
I had it 6ish weeks ago and it was thankfully minor. Zwifting the day I got the all clear was humbling as it was both short in distance and time before I called it.
But a few days later i was back to my normal slow self..

During quarantine, I finished Netflix and got thru most of Amazon Prime. I moved onto watching news clips about covid longhaulers which allowed me to obsess about possibly dealing with that once done with covid.
Ugh, those stories freak me out. Brutal. Marathon runners who can't walk a block?...awful.

Paul- good to hear you are back out and rolling.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-05-21, 08:09 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2603 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
It's probably a good idea to take your time getting back to "normal" exercise. Myocarditis sounds nasty, don't you think?
Old 01-05-21, 09:24 AM
TeakAsh

Bikes: 1996 Co-Motion Co-Pilot Tandem, 2005 Look 585

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts
Glad you guys recovered and are back to spinning!
Old 01-05-21, 10:44 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

I never lost my sense of taste or smell. The rest of the family did. One thing my wife and I both experienced was "brain fog." Even today, I go through short bouts where I have difficulty concentrating. Apparently it's a thing. https://www.henryford.com/blog/2020/...-and-brain-fog
Old 01-06-21, 06:35 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Sounds like a good recovery. Keep it up.
Donated blood through Red Cross recently and tested negative for COVID-19 antibodies. (They are testing all donations.)
So, have not previously had it but could get it and might even have it asymptomatically now......highly unlikely.
More than ready for vaccine but not first in line for it as no longer work in a hospital and am “only” 70 without coexisting stuff.
Anyone get the vaccine yet?
Old 01-06-21, 07:04 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,286 Times in 1,278 Posts
So glad most of you came through this as well as you did. My wife and I have been spared and are being very careful, actually driving to remote locations for cycling. My brother and his wife both suffered with it , my brother the worse of the two. His son and new wife got through it and said that it was not a “flue” at all but much worse. We have the information and the tools to stay relatively safe and we must be vigilant. There are no guarantees but certainly we must be smart. Cycling is a great form of exercise and mental floss that is fairly safe if we bike with people we live with and avoid others through distancing. My wife and I are doing a ten meter rule when we see others riding without masks. Here in Southern California our numbers are scary, it may be better where some of you are. Stay safe and keep pedaling! Joe
Old 01-08-21, 09:11 PM
Joearch

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Santa delivered Covid to the entire family this year. After being sedentary for nearly 2 weeks I spun off 20 miles yesterday and 25 miles today. Yesterday was a little painful. Today I felt great. My lungs are fresh. I am so very thankful that none of us had a rough go of it.
Exact same thing happened to me. Six of us came down w C19. I tested positive Christmas Day. Rest of family within a few days. Today was my first day on the bike and it felt nice to be back in the saddle. Easy steady ride.

Last edited by Joearch; 01-08-21 at 09:24 PM.
Likes For Joearch:
Old 01-08-21, 11:39 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Our family all got it as well. Tested positive the Tuesday after Christmas. Never knew we had it until mom went in for surgery and they tested her the day before hitting the cutting table. Myself and the kids rode the rollers and lifted during the quarantine without any issues. My wife has been hit hard, but there are other stressful things going on at the same time and I suspect stress is adding to the problem with recovery. My buddy had it back in September and never told anyone, yet none of us in that friend group got sick at that time.
Old 01-09-21, 04:20 AM
cloud

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 16 Posts
I had seen a report where one doctor said you have to keep your lungs working if you get the virus. So after 2 days in bed on day 3 I made myself get out of bed got on my bike and went for a ride.There are places around me where I can ride and never see another person. I only made 10 miles that day and a lot of pain didn't think I was going to make it back home.. But after the ride was over I thought it actually made me feel better .The next day I made 12.5 miles than a 15 mile ride. Don't know if it helped my recovery but it seemed to work for me. I guess I got lucky because I didn't know about Myocarditis back than.

Last edited by cloud; 01-09-21 at 04:23 AM.
Likes For cloud:
Old 01-09-21, 09:57 AM
Ald1 

Bikes: Domane SLR 9 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.3 1978 Mercian

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Well I'm on day 9 since symptoms. Covid -19 positive and this is an interesting thread. Been doing well no fever (except up one point up last night). So that's the 64 thousand question. When to start back exercising? On one hand, at 68, Myocarditis is a real thing and the stories of young well trained atheles dropping dead on there first run back is sobering. On the other hand lack of activity on the lungs/body is not great. So, with my readings on the subject, I'm thinking, breathing exercises only and some stretching/yoga for the rest of the 14 day period than 50% less intensity and duration first week back than 30% than 10%. Also today I am scheduled for the monoclonal-antibody infusion. Hoping that helps and speeds things along. Thanks All who have made this journey and are sharing their experiences.
Old 01-09-21, 10:46 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,286 Times in 1,278 Posts
Originally Posted by Ald1
Well I'm on day 9 since symptoms. Covid -19 positive and this is an interesting thread. Been doing well no fever (except up one point up last night). So that's the 64 thousand question. When to start back exercising? On one hand, at 68, Myocarditis is a real thing and the stories of young well trained atheles dropping dead on there first run back is sobering. On the other hand lack of activity on the lungs/body is not great. So, with my readings on the subject, I'm thinking, breathing exercises only and some stretching/yoga for the rest of the 14 day period than 50% less intensity and duration first week back than 30% than 10%. Also today I am scheduled for the monoclonal-antibody infusion. Hoping that helps and speeds things along. Thanks All who have made this journey and are sharing their experiences.
that sounds like a plan. I am glad you are being conservative and good luck on your journey back.
Old 01-09-21, 07:45 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

I am glad to hear that so many of you have done well with it. I hope all of you are back in the saddle soon and feel no long term effects.
Old 01-09-21, 10:07 PM
surveyor6

Bikes: 1961 Higgins Flightliner

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 70 Posts
My bronchial tubes were sore for a few weeks atter I started riding again. Not fun
Old 01-10-21, 09:11 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
It's good to hear you were only affected a little bit. It's been 3 months since I got out of the hospital and only now can I take a full breath without it hurting.
Old 01-10-21, 09:30 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by surveyor6
My bronchial tubes were sore for a few weeks atter I started riding again. Not fun
I still have a moderately irritated throat. I also have some nasal congestion and sinus, but that may not be due to the 'rona.
Old 01-10-21, 09:34 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
It's good to hear you were only affected a little bit. It's been 3 months since I got out of the hospital and only now can I take a full breath without it hurting.
Oh man, that's rough. I am curious if you had any preexisting conditions and how old you are. Completely understand in you don't want to share. I can't help but thinking that us cyclists would fare worse were it not for our condition.

I have done some research on this, and it appears there is something to it. I am O+ blood type. The O blood types seem to fare better.
Old 01-10-21, 09:37 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
As soon as the first warm day (60+) shows up I will be out on the trails.

I hope that enough people get their shots that all the parks and restroom are opened up.