Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Recommend aero wheels for TCR

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-03-21, 12:56 AM
Murf58

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Hi All,

I have just purchased a 2020 TCR SL advanced frame set (disc) and built it up with spare parts - mechanical ultegra etc. I will update parts over time.
Not a lot of hills where I live so I have decided to get some aero wheels for the bike. I am after advice about 1) suggested brands and 2) the rim depth (I’m thinking 60 back and 50/55 front?). Thanks for any help.
Old 03-03-21, 01:18 AM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. I have just bought the same thing, but as a complete bike.
I would just be a bit wary of going over 50mm on the front if it is very windy where you ride.
Old 03-03-21, 02:42 AM
Murf58

Originally Posted by Dean V
Congrats on the new bike. I have just bought the same thing, but as a complete bike.
I would just be a bit wary of going over 50mm on the front if it is very windy where you ride.
Thanks Dean - not real windy where I live, I generally don’t ride if it’s over 30km per hour anyway.
Old 03-03-21, 07:47 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by Murf58
Hi All,

I have just purchased a 2020 TCR SL advanced frame set (disc) and built it up with spare parts - mechanical ultegra etc. I will update parts over time.
Not a lot of hills where I live so I have decided to get some aero wheels for the bike. I am after advice about 1) suggested brands and 2) the rim depth (I’m thinking 60 back and 50/55 front?). Thanks for any help.
What is your budget? This can aid with suggestions.

For people in flatter areas looking to go aero and maybe save some money, I typically suggest a "fairing" style aero wheel like an HED or a FLO. They're often cheaper than full carbon sets at only a marginal weight penalty. Like the RC5 or RC6 disc brake sets they sell.
Old 03-03-21, 12:18 PM
Murf58

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
What is your budget? This can aid with suggestions.

For people in flatter areas looking to go aero and maybe save some money, I typically suggest a "fairing" style aero wheel like an HED or a FLO. They're often cheaper than full carbon sets at only a marginal weight penalty. Like the RC5 or RC6 disc brake sets they sell.
Thanks burnthesheep - I have about US $2.5k saved to spend on wheels so will spend up to that amount. I am looking to buy a quality set of wheels that are reliable and comfortable. I’ll likely run 28mm tyres.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Likes For Murf58:
Old 03-03-21, 12:43 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Thanks burnthesheep - I have about US $2.5k saved to spend on wheels so will spend up to that amount. I am looking to buy a quality set of wheels that are reliable and comfortable. I’ll likely run 28mm tyres.
Well, with that budget then you can get some more wheel than what I suggested for sure.

If you want to run 28mm, go ahead and spend the extra money since you have it on aero wheels designed for 28mm tires. Or ones that take them nicely. With that budget that definitely gets you into all sorts of stuff. Off top of my head, the ENVE wheels and the HED Vanquish (not a fairing wheel, full carbon) measure out pretty good and I think can take a 28mm and stay aero.

Those RC5/6 stuff I suggested are 25mm at the tire interface and a hair wider at the widest part of the aero profile. Meaning, a 28mm would run fine but ruin some aero benefit. So, forget that then and spend the extra on something else.

Just research whichever you get to see how wide the profile is where the tire meets so that a 28mm transitions right nice.

Good luck and have fun, that's an awesome budget for some wheels!
Old 03-03-21, 01:07 PM
Murf58

Haven’t come across the HED vanquish so will definitely have a closer look at them as an option.
I appreciate the helpful comments - thankyou.
Old 03-03-21, 01:21 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
A little below that budget are the new FFWD RYOT wheels. I just got a set of RYOT 55s with the DT Swiss 350 hubs; those with 240s run about 1900 I think. I've got a few rides of varying distance on them so far, but have been very pleased. They are optimized for 28mm tires. I've ridden in some pretty strong crosswinds with them; while they definitely aren't low profile, I haven't had any scary moments. I have them set up tubeless with 25s (purchased for a different wheelset - don't ask), running 75 psi. They feel great. I have been really pleased with their customer service as well. So... take a look. And I've included the

gratuitous look at my bike / wheels photo.
Likes For ericcox:
Old 03-04-21, 03:13 AM
Murf58

Thanks ericcox, your bike looks awesome, love the colour!
I will take a look at these wheels and check availability - much appreciated.
Likes For Murf58:
Old 03-04-21, 06:54 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Thanks ericcox, your bike looks awesome, love the colour!
I will take a look at these wheels and check availability - much appreciated.
fwiw, I think the RYOTs are disc braked. I'd look at the Campy Bora WTOs (come in a 45 and 60 depth).
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 03-04-21, 07:00 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
+1 to the suggestion to look at something wider that's made to be aero with a 28mm.

I recently bought some Zipp 303S, I love them, but I would only recommend them (or the new 303 Firecrest) if you're sold on tubeless tires - they're hookless and can only be run with tubeless tires. Likewise with some ENVE - some are hookless, so make sure they're compatible with regular clinchers if that's what you're planning on running. Roval (specialized) also have some interesting new wheels, but you have to be aware of the opposite - some may not be compatible with tubeless tires, if you'd like to keep that option open. Bontrager (Trek) also have some interesting new offerings, with modern dimensions and a decent balance of weight and value.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-04-21, 07:32 AM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
fwiw, I think the RYOTs are disc braked. I'd look at the Campy Bora WTOs (come in a 45 and 60 depth).
True - I missed the rim brake requirement. FFWD does have their older F6 rim brake model in close out.

Edit: nevermind - OP says it is a disc frame. The RYOTs are hooked - can be run tubeless or tubed. I will say installing the tubeless GP5000s was difficult- I had to get help. I now have some new tools to help.
Old 03-04-21, 09:19 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
For 28mm tires and disc brakes, a good choice would be Enve SES 4.5AR. They're optimized around 28mm tires, and $2550/set. You can spec 'em with Industry Nine or Chris King hubs if you want to customize. Depth is 49mm front, 55mm rear. Weight is 1500-1600g. I've never rode these wheels, but they look awesome.

A word of warning: Enve says if you buy today, these won't ship until August. This is probably a concern with any wheel in this range at the moment.
Old 03-04-21, 09:34 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Frankly, outside of the very top shelf wheels, I'd look for Light Bicycle wheels, would go for their AR series if you want to run 28s.

I've got a pair of R45s which pair perfectly with 23 rear / 25 front. It wouldn't have hurt to have gone deeper in the rear, front is perfect at 45mm though, very much rideable even when it's quite windy.
​​​​​
Old 03-04-21, 12:42 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
Frankly, outside of the very top shelf wheels, I'd look for Light Bicycle wheels, would go for their AR series if you want to run 28s.

I've got a pair of R45s which pair perfectly with 23 rear / 25 front. It wouldn't have hurt to have gone deeper in the rear, front is perfect at 45mm though, very much rideable even when it's quite windy.
​​​​​
Light seems like a great option for a lower cost build, but if you have $2500 burning a hole in your pocket I'm not sure why you wouldn't go with a name brand wheel that comes with a local dealer network, a bunch of wind tunnel testing, lifetime warranty, etc.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 03-04-21, 12:55 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
For 28mm tires and disc brakes, a good choice would be Enve SES 4.5AR. They're optimized around 28mm tires, and $2550/set. You can spec 'em with Industry Nine or Chris King hubs if you want to customize. Depth is 49mm front, 55mm rear. Weight is 1500-1600g. I've never rode these wheels, but they look awesome.

A word of warning: Enve says if you buy today, these won't ship until August. This is probably a concern with any wheel in this range at the moment.
The Enve 4.5AR do fit but the clearances aren't that big. Around 2 or 3mm with a Schwalbe Pro 1 (28mm).
Old 03-04-21, 10:22 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la

I have a set of these with DT Swiss 240s hubs. The rims are really wide at 25mm internal and hookless. The AR version is intended to be for light gravel/ broken road use. Great wheels if that's what you want.

Good carbon wheels have come way down in price in the past couple of years, you don't really need to spend $2,500+ on wheels to get really nice ones these days. A few less expensive options to consider:
Hunt 4454. $1,589
Bontrager Aeolus Pro 5 TLR. $1,300
Giant SLR-1 42. ~$1,500.
Old 03-06-21, 01:20 PM
Murf58

Thanks all. Apologies if it wasn’t clear in the first post but I definitely need disc brakes.

As mentioned above, availability is currently a major issue and will influence my final decision. Have had a look at the Enve’s but not keen on waiting until August!

On the shortlist at the moment is Campagnolo WTO 60, DT Swiss ERC 1100/1400 and Zipp 303 firecrest (local bike shop chasing up stock for me). I can’t find stock of HED or FFWD wheels.
Old 03-06-21, 01:35 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Thanks all. Apologies if it wasn’t clear in the first post but I definitely need disc brakes.

As mentioned above, availability is currently a major issue and will influence my final decision. Have had a look at the Enve’s but not keen on waiting until August!

On the shortlist at the moment is Campagnolo WTO 60, DT Swiss ERC 1100/1400 and Zipp 303 firecrest (local bike shop chasing up stock for me). I can’t find stock of HED or FFWD wheels.
If you are in the USA, FFWD USA (FFWD Wheels Carbon Hand Built Bicycle Wheels | Fast Forward Wheels (ffwdusa.com)) sells direct to consumer. I had originally ordered a set of F6 discs in late December that were back ordered. A month later, I talked with customer service and switched to the RYOT 55s. They literally shipped them out that afternoon. But... I can't really judge compared to the others you have listed here.
Old 03-06-21, 06:30 PM
Murf58

Originally Posted by ericcox
If you are in the USA, FFWD USA (FFWD Wheels Carbon Hand Built Bicycle Wheels | Fast Forward Wheels (ffwdusa.com)) sells direct to consumer. I had originally ordered a set of F6 discs in late December that were back ordered. A month later, I talked with customer service and switched to the RYOT 55s. They literally shipped them out that afternoon. But... I can't really judge compared to the others you have listed here.
Thanks - I am in Australia, and the FFWD distributors seem to be out of stock or only have rim brake versions.
I’ll have a look at the US site anyway.

Last edited by Murf58; 03-06-21 at 06:41 PM.
Likes For Murf58:
Old 03-06-21, 07:28 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Thanks - I am in Australia, and the FFWD distributors seem to be out of stock or only have rim brake versions.
I’ll have a look at the US site anyway.
Good luck with your search - it's hard to go wrong with any of these.
Old 03-31-21, 03:48 AM
Murf58

To close this thread off I bought a set of DT Swiss PRC1400 65 wheels, they look very nice.
Haven’t put them together yet but have a set of Cont 5000 26 tyres to go on and have Ultegra discs (not sure of its worth putting lighter discs on? &#128578. Thanks for all the feedback and advice.
Likes For Murf58:
Old 04-02-21, 08:35 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
To close this thread off I bought a set of DT Swiss PRC1400 65 wheels, they look very nice.
Haven’t put them together yet but have a set of Cont 5000 26 tyres to go on and have Ultegra discs (not sure of its worth putting lighter discs on? &#128578. Thanks for all the feedback and advice.
DA is always an option if you prefer black rotors! That's what I did.

Sram's centerline XR rotors are even more beautiful IMO.