Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Another 83 Expedition Question: What Bottom Bracket is this?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 04-15-21, 09:24 AM
TrashBoat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

The last step in tearing down this aforementioned 1983 Specialized is removing the bottom bracket so I can spray the frame with frame saver.

Admittedly, I have only ever worked on cup and cone bottom brackets before, and have no idea what the deal is with what I'm assuming is this cartridge bottom bracket of some kind. I borrowed my friend's ParkTool BBT-22 and it didn't fit within the splines of the bottom bracket? Is there another bottom bracket standard I don't know about? Where should I go to figure out what kind of tool I'll need to remove it?
I also thought it was notable that the drive side cup was a little proud of the bottom bracket shell.

Unfortunately, I can't add pictures because I don't have more than 10 posts, which comes up as a consistent problem for me. So realistically, the most I'm asking for is an online resource with lots of pictures of bottom bracket splines.

Thanks, for any help,
Old 04-15-21, 09:28 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
This will go better with pictures. You have two options. You may introduce yourself in the section for newbies and talk to a few people. You'll hit 10 fast. Or you can upload the pictures to your profile and someone will then post them in this thread.

Last edited by bikemig; 04-15-21 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-15-21, 09:35 AM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
Unfortunately, I can't add pictures because I don't have more than 10 posts, which comes up as a consistent problem for me. So realistically, the most I'm asking for is an online resource with lots of pictures of bottom bracket splines.
6 posts since July 2020 doesn't sound like its a consistent problem. Make some more posts already.

As for the inquiry, that bike should have come with a Suntour sealed bottom bracket.

A Suntour TA-230 is technically the tool that's designed for these bottom brackets. I've gotten these BB's off (of non-rusty BBs) with an adjustable pin spanner. The out of production Park yellow pin spanner also fits the slots.

Likes For Vintage_Cyclist:
Old 04-15-21, 09:35 AM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by TrashBoat
The last step in tearing down this aforementioned 1983 Specialized is removing the bottom bracket so I can spray the frame with frame saver.

Admittedly, I have only ever worked on cup and cone bottom brackets before, and have no idea what the deal is with what I'm assuming is this cartridge bottom bracket of some kind. I borrowed my friend's ParkTool BBT-22 and it didn't fit within the splines of the bottom bracket? Is there another bottom bracket standard I don't know about? Where should I go to figure out what kind of tool I'll need to remove it?
I also thought it was notable that the drive side cup was a little proud of the bottom bracket shell.

Thanks, for any help,
You're only 3 posts away from posting pics! Reply in this thread a few times (how did you get the bike? What are you using for frame saver? What are your plans for the bike?) or introduce yourself and reply in the intro threads. Apparently there's also a loophole where you can upload the pic to your gallery and then someone in this thread can assist with reposting.
Old 04-15-21, 09:39 AM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist
6 posts since July 2020 doesn't sound like its a consistent problem. Make some more posts already.

As for the inquiry, that bike should have come with a Suntour sealed bottom bracket.

A Suntour TA-230 is technically the tool that's designed for these bottom brackets. I've gotten these BB's off (of non-rusty BBs) with an adjustable pin spanner. The out of production Park yellow pin spanner also fits the slots.

I've never seen those suntour BBs before. Learn something new every day...

I can't tell 100% from the pic if the cup rotates separately from the ring, I assume it does. For removal can you just use a lockring tool, or even a punch/drift to loosen the lock ring and pull it out that way? For reinstall would the OP need something to hold the cup in place as you tighten the lockring or can you fudge it with just a lockring tool?
Old 04-15-21, 09:57 AM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by tricky
I've never seen those suntour BBs before. Learn something new every day...

I can't tell 100% from the pic if the cup rotates separately from the ring, I assume it does. For removal can you just use a lockring tool, or even a punch/drift to loosen the lock ring and pull it out that way? For reinstall would the OP need something to hold the cup in place as you tighten the lockring or can you fudge it with just a lockring tool?
Both cups have separate lock rings that screw onto the cups. You need to use a spanner for the cups.
Old 04-15-21, 10:53 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,632 Times in 2,599 Posts
Seems like the majority of these kinds of questions, the answer is Phil Wood.
Old 04-15-21, 11:49 AM
TrashBoat

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ok I can do this. I got the bike on craigslist.
Likes For TrashBoat:
Old 04-15-21, 11:51 AM
TrashBoat

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't really have a plan with it yet. Eventually I need to replace derailleurs as the huret jubilee plastic disaster is kinda mangled. other than that I hope to restore using the parts that came with the bike so that I can load it up with some camping gear and go on some overnights
Likes For TrashBoat:
Old 04-15-21, 11:52 AM
TrashBoat

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
And if anyone else has a particularly cool expedition, I'd love to see it or hear any advice
Likes For TrashBoat:
Old 04-16-21, 10:11 AM
TrashBoat

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ok finally the pictures (I got hammered with the 5 posts in 24 hours lockout)

Old 04-16-21, 10:59 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
I count 18 splines. If the drive side and non-drive side cups look the same, it's a Phil Wood. You would need to buy or borrow a Phil-specific bottom bracket tool.
Old 04-16-21, 11:44 AM
imcorn

Bikes: '83 Specialized Expedition, '87 Ritchey Ultra, '88 Ritchey Ascent Comp, '89 GT Avalanche, '90 Bianchi Equinox, '90 Bianchi Project 5, '90 Trek 950, '90 Miyata TripleCross, '95 Kona Explosif, '09 Alan Wanta

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

I just finished my '83 about a month ago. Mine had the Suntour bottom bracket with the 2 lock rings as Vintage_Cyclist posted, which I had my LBS remove. I swapped it from a modern cartridge square taper bottom bracket since I didn't want to deal with a Suntour bottom bracket that I don't have the tool for, although I could have just replaced the clapped bearings if I wanted to.

Your bottom bracket definitely looks like a Phil - nice score.