Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hydration

Old 04-16-21, 05:15 AM
taylorgeo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Hydration

The summers are very hot and humid where I live. Looking for an insulated water bottle that will keep my water cold for as long as possible.

Any recommendations?
Old 04-16-21, 06:35 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 433 Posts
Recommended insulated water bottle - Bike Forums
I have better luck using Google and then add Bike Forums at the end of what I'm trying to find. Usually takes me right to what I need.
Old 04-16-21, 06:52 AM
taylorgeo

Originally Posted by freeranger
Recommended insulated water bottle - Bike Forums
I have better luck using Google and then add Bike Forums at the end of what I'm trying to find. Usually takes me right to what I need.
I have better luck with BF then Google. Thanks for the link, but it's six years old. It's a good starting point, but maybe there are some newer and better products?
Old 04-16-21, 07:11 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
AFAIK, the leading contenders for insulated bottles that fit into a standard bottle cage are still the 21 and 24 oz. Polar and Camelback. Either works well. In 85-90F temperatures, an uninsulated bottle filled with ice before leaving will get to ambient temperature in an hour; with either of the insulated bottles, that'll extend roughly to two hours.

I did a careful "study" where I loaded one of each bottle with the same number of ice cubes, drank the same number of swallows from each at almost the same times, and determined the Polar bottle still had ice left, while the Camelback's residual water was all melted after two hours. From that I concluded the Polar was the better bottle. Another frequent poster here conducted their own similar experiment and decided the Camelback was better. So take your pick (or buy the one that's cheaper).

An insulated hydration pack will hold a lot more ice and water, and if it's well insulated my last another hour or two. But they're not as comfortable in warm weather on my back -- YMMV.
Old 04-16-21, 07:46 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
any insulated bottle filled with ice
Old 04-16-21, 08:16 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
CamelBak 25 oz. Podium Chill. Freeze overnight. Just make sure not to fill it to the brim before you freeze it.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-16-21, 10:32 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
How long do you ride? I don't worry about keeping drinks cold any more for cycling. In my 95°F summers that are coming up, even frozen solid water in a somewhat insulated bottle will be completely thawed after 30 minutes with air flowing past it at normal road bike speeds.

Insulated bottles just mean less water in the same space. So for me riding two and three hours at a time, volume of water I can carry is more important than temperature of the drink. I've had some good hydro flasks and other glass thermoses that keep stuff cool or hot for a day, but none that I'd want to carry with me cycling. Mostly because of the extra weight and more volume taken up.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-16-21, 11:24 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
I have a Bontrager and like it ok; however, I have a different take on summer riding and water.

I live in a hot and humid State where summer rides get to 100 degrees and 98% humidity. I perspire so much that I have to take in a lot of water to keep from crapping out. Drinking that much cold water quickly enough to keep hydrated is not easy to do for me. I let the bottle get warm. Not great to drink but that warm water doesn't cramp me up like cold water.

I also used to live in Arizona where a cool summer ride was 105 and a hot one was 117+. It was 130 degrees on the pavement. Same deal. I found that cold or oven cool water made me feel ill and cramp up. I would put two water bottles in the frig to cool them off but my third bottle was room temperature. By the time I got to the cooled ones, they were warm and ready to go.

Unless you're used to drinking a lot of cool or cold water, you may want to experiment first before you dive in for a long first ride with cold water.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 04-16-21, 01:23 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Don't fight it. Unless your ride is less than 30 mins, just get used to drinking warm/hot water in the summer.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 04-16-21, 02:13 PM
Octavianandrei

Bikes: Orbea Orca

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's not worth it. Higher weight and more sweating
Old 04-16-21, 02:55 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
some of best water I've enjoyed has been acclimated to outside temps.
Old 04-16-21, 03:35 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Insulated bottles that fit into standard bottle cages hold less water! I generally start by filling my uninsulated bottle with ice cubes then fill to top with chilled water (and do this just before leaving on my ride) 😎. To be sure, by the midpoint of my ride, most of the ice has melted but the water is still refreshingly cool. I don’t worry so much about the temp of the water at the end of the ride as it is, for the most part, gone by then. Hydrating early is much more important than at the end. Plus, other than a degree of “cooling effect”, metabolically the body treats water the same regardless of temperature. Whether water is warm or cool, within a very short period of time it equilibrates to body temp!
Old 04-16-21, 03:44 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Why not put your drinks into an insulated bag or container of some sort? If you have a rack, carry them on the rack.
Old 04-16-21, 03:45 PM
Troul 

once it goes warm or hot, could always find someone with an attitude. Ask them, "may I have some of your cold? Just a lil bit of it from your shoulder"
Old 04-16-21, 04:11 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
CamelBak 25 oz. Podium Chill. Freeze overnight. Just make sure not to fill it to the brim before you freeze it.

I typically ffreeze mine to about the 1/3 mark on one bottle and 2/3rd on the second, they wlll stay cold for about 2 hours, I say 2 hours as my hydration is a bottle and hour. I use both camelbak and Polar and both are the same for me in NE Florida.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 04-16-21, 05:03 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by sovende
Insulated bottles that fit into standard bottle cages hold less water!
Less water than what?

I’d say a 25 Oz. Podium Chill that fits in a standard cage is a good amount.
Old 04-16-21, 06:30 PM
taylorgeo

Thanks, folks!

Picked up the CamelBak. (Will freeze the night before.)

Picked up some tea bags for when the water inevitably turns hot.

Plenty of convenience stores around here. (Duh, kinda slipped my mind.)

And the rusty garden hose, if I can still find someone using one. This might be my favorite.

Oh the days of yore...
Likes For taylorgeo:
Old 04-17-21, 03:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
Camelbak Podium Ice bottles are my go to. Don't freeze bottles full if you must freeze them. I generally will fill them up a bit put them in the fridge and then add ice to the top before my ride if I want exceptionally cold water though most of the time just the cold water will stay pretty cold for a while in the Podium Ice bottles I don't use other bottles (aside from the regular Podium Chill bottles mostly in winter)
Old 04-17-21, 03:45 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
FWIW, 16°C water may be the most effective for exercise, both in the lowered sweat response and in inducing us to drink more.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3762624/

More importantly it confirms my personal bias against ice in any of my drinks, particularly water.
Old 04-17-21, 04:11 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Less water than what?

I’d say a 25 Oz. Podium Chill that fits in a standard cage is a good amount.
Less water than an uninsulated bottle with similar external dimensions 😎.
Old 04-17-21, 04:28 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by sovende
Less water than an uninsulated bottle with similar external dimensions 😎.
Example? And what difference do the external dimensions make if they both fit in standard cages?
Old 04-17-21, 04:34 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
I'd go with drinking warm liquids, notice I say liquids, not water. Maybe experiment what liquid you find acceptable when it is worm, some taste better than others.

I also don't think that cold drink is good for the organism (as pointed out above) and I am not a health freak who worries about that sort of thing, just a common sense.

I remember my grandma telling about a guy (in the old days, when she was young) who came home from working out in the fields in hot weather, laying down on tiled floor to cool himself off (no A/C in those days ) and catching some illness because of that (maybe pneumonia?) and dying from that some time later. Cold drink is a sort of similar shock to the body too.
Likes For vane171:
Old 04-17-21, 04:34 PM
Troul 

Example? And what difference do the external dimensions make if they both fit in standard cages?
some good thermal containers use a double wall construction. The inside dia would have less capacity with a double wall, if both containers have the same O.D. & height.
Old 04-17-21, 04:40 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3933 Post(s)
Liked 7,256 Times in 2,935 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171
I also don't think that cold drink is good for the organism (as pointed out above) and I am not a health freak who worries about that sort of thing, just a common sense.

I remember my grandma telling about a guy (in the old days, when she was young) who came home from working out in the fields in hot weather, laying down on tiled floor to cool himself off (no A/C in those days ) and catching some illness because of that (maybe pneumonia?) and dying from that some time later. Cold drink is a sort of similar shock to the body too.
That explains all the people dying at health clubs after jumping into the cold plunge, or all the Swedes and Norwegians that drop dead when they roll in snow following their sauna. I'm guessing Ben and Jerry have killed a lot of people also.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-17-21, 06:25 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Troul
some good thermal containers use a double wall construction. The inside dia would have less capacity with a double wall, if both containers have the same O.D. & height.
Unresponsive.

How much less capacity do my insulated bottles have than which bottles fit in standard cages?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.