Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Desperately trying to find special pedals

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-07, 06:46 AM
ppc
Senile Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everybody,

I usually commute with a beater bike but I want to give commuting with my touring recumbent a shot. The recumbent is equipped with SPD pedals and I can't imagine riding it without clips. The problem is, my commute is only 5km and I don't want to change shoes twice for a 15 minute ride, twice a day.

Some years ago, I was looking inside the parts bin at my LBS and I found a very special pedal : it was a sort of full-size platform, the size of a shoe sole, with a full plastic cage that went around the entire foot, and an enclosed toe cage that could open and close by tilting up and down about 45 degrees. To clip in, one just had to get the front of your foot in, give a good kick downward and the toe cage would tilt up and force the rest of your foot inside the pedal. It had all kinds of adjustments to lengthen or shorten it, widen the cages, move the platform forward or backward with regard to the pedal axle, and adjust the force at which the cage would open and release the foot in the event of a fall.

The pedal was freakin' heavy and ugly, but the system was brilliant : it made possible to ride exactly like with SPDs, but in street shoes. Unfortunately, there was only one pedal in the parts bin, not a complete pair, so I didn't buy it. I asked the LBS where he had gotten it but he couldn't remember. He figured it might have been some sort of prototype that never sold, but he couldn't tell for sure. It didn't look like a one-off though, it was all moulded plastic, so I figure it probably was manufactured in numbers at some point.

So I'm trying to find these pedals, in case they still are (were?) on the market. Would any of you know what I'm talking about? Have you seen this system? In retrospect, I should have bought that single pedal, if only to take pictures, but I didn't, silly me. Something like this would probably be a terrible solution on a regular bike, but I'm sure it would work well on a recumbent. So please if you have any information, let me know.
Old 02-21-07, 07:01 AM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Nevermind..
Old 02-21-07, 01:08 PM
i_r_beej
Portland, OR

Bikes: Cannondale: '94 R400; Lemond Poprad '06; Specialized Epic Marathon '06; Specialized Stumpjumper '89; Redline Proline Pro Cruiser '10

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds like a crazy-ass death-trap.

Buy some decent platform pedals--ones made for free-riding or downhill are generally much wider than "standard" platforms. OR... get some "spinning" shoes. They're more of a slip-on design, with usually only one velcro strap. Fast and easy on and off.

Maybe you need to buy some new shoes? What kind do you have that are such a bother to change?
Old 02-21-07, 01:20 PM
JTGraphics

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This what I'm using Forté Campus Pedals
This set of pedals has a platform on one side so you can use your normal shoes, flip it over and it has lips that are compatible with Shimano SPD cleats so it can be used with or without toe clips, with or without cleats. I also wanted straps for my street shoes so I also use a set of Winwood Instep Pedal Inserts
which are clipped into the toe clips. If you are going to use biking shoes the Winwood Instep Pedal Inserts are removed and you clip straight into the pedal. Both Captain and stoker are equipped with the same setup.
Old 02-21-07, 01:30 PM
ppc
Senile Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, I asked around on other forums, and I think I finally found the pedals. They are (or I should say "were", they're not made anymore) Ordas transition pedals used in biathlon and triathlon. They're similar to Thompson clip-on platforms, only they have a heel strap as well and come with an integrated pedal spindle. Here's a photo I found on Ebay :

If they're not the pedals I was looking for, they sure look very much like what I saw.
Old 02-21-07, 01:32 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I think triathlets used to use something like that to make their bike to run transition time faster by avoiding the shoe change.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 02-21-07, 01:40 PM
ppc
Senile Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by i_r_beej
Buy some decent platform pedals--ones made for free-riding or downhill are generally much wider than "standard" platforms. OR... get some "spinning" shoes. They're more of a slip-on design, with usually only one velcro strap. Fast and easy on and off.

Maybe you need to buy some new shoes? What kind do you have that are such a bother to change?
I currently ride with Cannondale "hiking" shoes (with a recessed cleat) and SPD pedals. My shoes are fine, so are the pedals. Only I can't wear those shoes at work, so if I want to try commuting with the recumbent, I'd have to change shoes at home, then when I arrive at work, then again leaving work, and again arriving back home. I don't want to do that, that's why I was looking for these pedals. And I'm not too keen on Powergrip straps either, because while they work well, I think they're dangerous when falling because they have a 50/50 chance of not releasing the foot and twisting your leg quite badly, depending on how you fall.

Originally Posted by JTGraphics
This what I'm using Forté Campus Pedals
This set of pedals has a platform on one side so you can use your normal shoes, flip it over and it has lips that are compatible with Shimano SPD cleats so it can be used with or without toe clips, with or without cleats. I also wanted straps for my street shoes so I also use a set of Winwood Instep Pedal Inserts
which are clipped into the toe clips. If you are going to use biking shoes the Winwood Instep Pedal Inserts are removed and you clip straight into the pedal. Both Captain and stoker are equipped with the same setup.
Toe clips won't work on a recumbent. This said, I do have pedals that have a standard platform on one side, and a SPD side. I *can* ride with normal shoes, but on a recumbent it's not very nice, because you have to keep fighting gravity and concentrate on keeping your feet on the pedals. That's what I want to be clipped in.
Old 02-21-07, 01:42 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
..."Ordas transition pedals used in biathlon".....

Do you attach them to your rifle or your skis?
Old 02-21-07, 01:42 PM
ppc
Senile Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
I think triathlets used to use something like that to make their bike to run transition time faster by avoiding the shoe change.
Exactly. That's the same reason I want to use them too, only I'm not a triathlete, just a lazy bum
Old 02-21-07, 01:47 PM
ppc
Senile Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
..."Ordas transition pedals used in biathlon"..... Do you attach them to your rifle or your skis?
I think I meant "duathlon". You can tell how much I know about sports
Old 02-21-07, 01:58 PM
I_bRAD
Call me The Breeze

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Siena, 1996 Litespeed Obed, 1992 Miele (unknown model), 1982 Meile Uno LS.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I tried them in a triathalon, and while the bike-run transition was indeed faster I found that the shoes really slowed me down in the swimming part.
Old 02-21-07, 02:44 PM
Hambone

Bikes: GT Edge for the road/Specialized Hopper (well the frame and the bb, everything else is new) for the dirt

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what about PowerGrips?

(this is the second time in one day I suggested PowerGrips...?)
Old 02-21-07, 04:56 PM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hambone
what about PowerGrips?

(this is the second time in one day I suggested PowerGrips...?)
Or some old fashioned toe clips and straps?