Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

A nice prone recumbent

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

A nice prone recumbent

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-07, 08:06 AM
ppc
Senile Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A nice prone recumbent

Here's something different : https://www.h-zontal.com/pages/presentation.html

There's a video of the bike here (in french) where the builder shows the different riding positions to ride tucked in, with a forehead rest and a mirror to see in front, ride in traffic, look behind, "honk" on all fours, do a U-turn, ride offroad and power uphill: https://www.h-zontal.com/anim/minifilmh-zontal2.wmv

The builder is apparently willing to custom build and sell bikes for people who are interested in the concept. Personally, I wonder how long he can ride in this position, with the weight of his body pressing down on his chest. Surely it doesn't help breathing. Not to mention the pressure points on the hips. An interesting bike nonetheless.
Old 02-21-07, 08:35 AM
Floyd
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have seen something like this that someone did years ago. I agree that the position can not be all that comfortable after a period of time. I will stick with my lounge chair on wheels...short or long wheel base.
Old 02-21-07, 08:38 AM
I_Bike

Bikes: RANS Dynamik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No thanks!
Old 02-22-07, 07:36 AM
lowracer1
lowracer ninja master

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I understand what the builder is trying to do, but he would get dusted by most recumbents on the road. That would not be comfortable on the neck after a few miles.
Old 02-22-07, 08:18 AM
ppc
Senile Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lowracer1
I understand what the builder is trying to do, but he would get dusted by most recumbents on the road. That would not be comfortable on the neck after a few miles.
Apparently the bike has a double-mirror contraption just above the front wheel to reflect the road ahead while the rider has his face pressed against the headrest (face-rest?). I don't think the neck would be uncomfortable in the long run, provided one doesn't mind looking at the road through a periscope, but I'm quite sure the ribcage and hips would get sore rapidly though. The human body just isn't made to rest on these points for very long, I know that for a fact, having had to spend several days at the hospital lying on my belly several years ago. And I have padding on my belly, this guy doesn't :-)
Old 02-22-07, 09:46 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 452 Posts
Seems to me that it's a complicated way to solve a problem that didn't exist, cool engineering project though.. seems like the rider is prone to bedsores at the hip, shoulders/armpits and maybe chin area.

Can't imagine bombing down a hill at 20+mph and hit some nasty pothole in that position... that's gonna hurt..

Maybe the Pavé on the Paris-Roubaix race course would be more forgiving?
Old 02-22-07, 10:42 AM
ppc
Senile Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
Seems to me that it's a complicated way to solve a problem that didn't exist, cool engineering project though.. seems like the rider is prone to bedsores at the hip, shoulders/armpits and maybe chin area.
Actually the prone position does address certain issues with conventional bents, i.e. slightly better aerodynamics, shorter RWD chainline and simpler steering, but at the cost of comfort of course. However, the guy should have googled around and realized this riding position has been tried before with mixed results, even on the track. If he's willing to ride with a mirror to see the road, he might as well try riding backward, like this here --> https://www.recumbents.com/wisil/whps...3_practice.jpg

Also, if you read french, you might have noticed that he seems to be trying to patent his "invention". Again, he should have done his homework, because there's plenty of prior art. I'd be surprised if the french patent office (which isn't as inept as the USPTO incidentally) grants him anything.

To the guy's credit though, he's probably a tinkerer by nature, and I can understand the drive to try out new things for the hell of it. When Mochet invented the recumbent bike in the 20s, I suspect many people told him his invention solved a nonexistent problem too, yet here we are today enjoying the fruits of his work.

Anyway, at the end of the day, if he and whoever buys him a bike are happy with it, isn't it what counts? variety is good.

Originally Posted by cat0020
Can't imagine bombing down a hill at 20+mph and hit some nasty pothole in that position... that's gonna hurt..
I'm with you there.