Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

SWB or LWB?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

SWB or LWB?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-07, 06:35 PM
ppc
Senile Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oberon
Any seasoned bent riders our there who can help me with this dilemma? I'm really wanting a recumbent, and am leaning towards SWB model, but would like to hear how they are different from each other in riding.
The true answer to your question is: whatever bike you feel good with. The only way to know whether you'll prefer SWB or LWB, ASS or USS, or whatever other bike feature, is to try bikes one by one for an hour or two. I know it's not easy, because you most likely don't have a store near you with many kinds of different bents to try out, but it's the only way to find out whether you'll get recumbutt on a seat, or whether you'll find yourself scared to death of USS no matter how hard you try to get used to it, or whether you prefer this bike's handling over that bike's. If you don't try different bikes before settling on a model (or building it), chances are you'll want to sell the bike within a year and get something else.

I think the easiest thing to do if you want to try bikes is to ask on this here board if there are bent riders near you who might let you try their bike for a ride. I think you'll find most riders are okay with the idea. In my area, whenever someone shows up and expresses an interest in recumbents, we're usually quick to setup a ride with several different bents and the guy (or gal) tries each model in turn.
Old 01-13-08, 12:22 AM
Richlec

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Vision R40 USS Convertible. Best of both worlds. Real easy to switch between SWB & LWB when needed. It's also very fast...

Last edited by Richlec; 01-13-08 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-13-08, 08:25 AM
dgholmes59

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ahha. So I should go out and try a bunch of different models and stick to what feels the best. Unfortunately the ONLY bike shop within 40 miles doesn't regularly carry bents. That, and they aren't very nice to noob cyclists, at least to me.
How about a 100 or 200 miles? There are so many differences in bents that I would suggest finding a large bike shop that carries a fair selection of bents. I had to drive over 100 miles and glad I did. I had decided that the Rans Stratus XP was the bike for me. I was riding an EZ Sport so I thought I would step up and buy a better LWB. I did not think I could ride a high BB recumbent.

I test rode the XP and really liked it. I was just about to pay for it when I asked if they had any SWB bikes in my size. I needed a large frame. I test rode a Bacchetta Giro 20 and man what a ride. The handling was much different than the Stratus, much more like a regular bike (DF). The seat laid back so far, that my recumbutt problem would not be a problem anymore. And the high BB was great. I had no problem with it at all. I bought the Giro and it is the best bike I have EVER owned. I absolutely love it.

I would agree with others that test riding is a must. Opinions are great to hear other's experiences, but not to decide which bike is right for you. For example, a lot of people think the 26/26 high racers are the greatest bikes ever made. I read all of these opinions and went back to the original bike shop to have some warranty work done on my Giro. While I was there, I test rode 2 different 26/26 high racers and did not like either as much as my 26/20 Giro.
Old 01-13-08, 08:49 AM
Wilbur Bud

Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 31 Posts
The only sure conclusion is that you will want some changes, big or small, after you ride a year or at least a couple thousand miles. So, my advice is to make some research on an SWB/OSS and LWB/USS and determine a model of each that sells and resells at an extremely stable price, and then buy the one closest to home that looks good to you and ride it for a year. Only after that baseline should you build up or trade up to a machine that is almost everything you wanted in the first place, and the initial money spent won't be lost.
Old 01-14-08, 10:31 AM
mrlee

Bikes: Several bikes including 2 recumbents

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also own both a swb and lwb recumbent and enjoy them both. It took longer to feel comfortable on the swb though, since it had under seat steering and putting my feet down felt awkward with the handlebar there. It was also twitchier than the long wheelbase. I converted the steering to "praying hamster" style and am very pleased with it. The pedals are quite high on the swb so clips are essential- I had my feet jarred off the pedals several times going over bumps- not pleasant at all! My advice would be to test ride each type before you buy, and if you can, buy 1 each! I used the swb on my first century last year, and for longer training rides, but use the lwb with platform pedals for local spur of the moment rides, trips to the store, etc. Don't hesitate to approach the recumbent riders you may encounter, they are more likely than most to be helpful since we are always looking for new "recruits", lol.
Old 01-14-08, 09:48 PM
defjack

Bikes: Cruzbike Silvio 2.1 T50

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like high racers. Jack
Old 01-14-08, 10:12 PM
Chaco

Bikes: Scott CR1 Team

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have much to add, except to say that riding an LWB doesn't at all condemn you to going slow. There are very few riders on the road that I can't keep up with, if not pass easily.
Old 01-14-08, 10:50 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 390 Posts
I don't have a LWB, but have briefly tried a couple. They were extremely easy to learn, particularly after riding a SWB. The only one I couldn't ride was a very long and low LWB with front wheel drive and underseat stearing.

I prefer the SWB design for the general sportyness of the ride. I ride a RANS Rocket with the flying hampster style bars. I use it for commuting and have just competed a 900km unsuported cycle tour. I have found it very comfortable and with the pedals at roughly the seat height, I have almost cured my numb feet problem.

If you can test ride, or beg and borrow rides in a variety of recumbents, including trikes, to see what you like.
Old 01-15-08, 07:28 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 452 Posts
LWB take up storage room, harder to transport with other vehicle, more difficult to use public transportation (like bus or train).

SWB may be more difficult to ride at first, but once you learned to master it, you'll have a bike that take up less room than a LWB bike, easier to transport and getting on public transportation... parobably weigh less, also.
Old 01-15-08, 10:54 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
For me the defining difference has been that I can plunk my SWB recumbent on the front of a bus in the bike racks. That adds so much flexibility. An LWB just wouldn't fit.
Old 01-15-08, 12:14 PM
Ric
Strada, GTT2s, Hotmover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tend too agree that the LWB is harder to store and transport than a SWB but I also believe for some it's the best choice. It's kinda like having the High Racer with 700c, it's not for everyone, it's a personal choice and each has a specific use, that's why they make so many different models.

Last edited by Ric; 01-16-08 at 06:13 AM.
Old 01-15-08, 01:32 PM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ahha. So I should go out and try a bunch of different models and stick to what feels the best. Unfortunately the ONLY bike shop within 40 miles doesn't regularly carry bents. That, and they aren't very nice to noob cyclists, at least to me.
Just in my opinion, it's worth some travel to get a bike or trike that fits you and your riding.

Also, again just as a matter of personal opinion, it can be worth asking around about bike shops and perhaps giving one a second chance if they have a generally good reputation. Depending on the day they are having, even a good shop can seem less than interested in your business no matter what your level of experience.
Old 01-27-08, 04:36 PM
Doug5150

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Any seasoned bent riders our there who can help me with this dilemma? I'm really wanting a recumbent, and am leaning towards SWB model, but would like to hear how they are different from each other in riding.
LWB's ride more stable riding, but SWB's are easier to transport (especially on car racks and bus racks). The main time SWB's are unstable is when riding through gravel.

Also--on SWB's shorter people tend to not be comfortable stopping and standing (because ground reach is difficult).
~