Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

purist bottle technology

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

purist bottle technology

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-18, 11:47 AM
joedab

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
purist bottle technology

The plastic taste imparted by the usual bicycle water bottles is that is discouraging not only because of the chemical flavor but also the thought of it doing harm to the body on a cellular level. For this reason, bottle alternatives seem worthwhile. A stainless steel bottle setup such as a sport cap klean kanteen with a specialized rib cage 2 holder seems like a good solution, though I do miss the ability to squeeze a drink rather than needing the suction. As such, looking into the specialized purist water bottles, I saw their hype about how their "purist technology naturally shields the inside of your bottle .. exactly the same way a lotus leaf shields itself to maintain its purity. Technology truly inspired by nature." The bottle interior is has a five micron coating of silicone something or other. Does anyone have information on the nature of this coating technology, the credentials of its purity and just how much the biomimicry claims are valid?
Old 10-07-18, 11:51 AM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
I bet you put on latex gloves before touching a door knob, huh.
Jon
Old 10-07-18, 12:30 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
"... the way a lotus leaf shields itself to maintain its purity...".

What a load of marketing nonsense. A lotus leaf's "purity"? LOL. It's totally natural for a bear to maul and kill a person, but it certainly isn't healthy (for the person).
Old 10-07-18, 12:34 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
I've always thrown a bit of juice, even a slice of lemon, into my water. Grapefruit syrup is quite nice. Add ice cubes if it's really hot.
Old 10-07-18, 02:10 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I've worn out nearly everything cycling-related I've ever bought. My current CX bike was built out of the remains of my first CX bike (broken frame) and by now nearly none of the original parts remain. It is my Ship of Theseus.

But I've been using the same pair of Camelbak Podium Chill water bottles since my second or third bike ride. Their logos are all worn off, and they have more than their fair share of scratches. Never has there been a plasticky taste to the water, not once, and never thought about whether or not they're imparting anything into the water. I've refilled them from hose spigots and MUP water fountains. If there had been any reason for worry, it would have been that.

I guess the takeaway is don't buy $3 water bottles. Anything by Camelbak or Polar isn't going to change the taste of the water. Can't speak to others.
Old 10-07-18, 03:51 PM
ddub

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I'm doing a self study on the effects of plastics to a human on the cellular level as we speak. Good so far but if you never hear back from me you can probably guess the outcome.*

*sarcasm
Old 10-07-18, 04:00 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon T
I bet you put on latex gloves before touching a door knob, huh.
Jon
People are allowed to be concerned by different stuff.
Old 10-07-18, 04:11 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11401 Post(s)
Liked 4,753 Times in 2,766 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Spot on.
Old 10-07-18, 04:12 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
much the biomimicry claims are valid?
a biochemist may be good to consult , rather a bunch of people riding bikes.
then it's more opinions than confirmed science,
in that case, a search of a few research documents on the topic , may be in order.

name dropping a simpler response..
I have Sigg bottles, for drinks they have a bonded liner applied,

Another from Zefal , the cap airflow in, lets he water flow out easily..

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-07-18 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-07-18, 04:59 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Water taste clean to me through polar bottles. But a stainless container can only be a little better. My bike shop gave me a free bottle that the first time I tried it the plastic taste was utterly horrible. I found it insulting that they would give me such crap.
Old 10-07-18, 05:04 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Can't say I ever tasted plastic when drinking from a plastic bottle. Odd. Lotus leaf shields haha. Like deep, man. Puff, puff, give.
Old 10-07-18, 10:37 PM
DGlenday

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Some water bottles definitely have a plastic taste. Polar and Camelback don't.
Old 10-07-18, 10:49 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
It's an acquired taste.
Old 10-08-18, 01:32 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
On a physical or mental level, yes.
On a cellular level, nahhh
Old 10-08-18, 01:54 AM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 40 Posts
The Specialized Purist bottles are excellent. Pure water taste, three years later. Even let it sit in the fridge full all winter and in the spring that water tastes just as clean as if I would've put it in there the day before.
Old 10-08-18, 04:59 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Personally I prefer the taste of plastic over chromium
Old 10-08-18, 07:26 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3136 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
I’d take the Purist lotus leaf reference to mean that the lining of the bottle is extremely hydrophobic, like the waxy coating on lotus leaves, which helps prevent dust and grime from sticking to the leaves, keeping them clean and, in a sense, pure.

I’ve not read the Purist site, but I’d speculate, based on what the OP said, that a type of silicon oxide (SiO2) ceramic coating is bonded to the inside surface of the bottle. One of the properties of these coatings comprised of densely packed, tiny (nano) particles is chemical resistance, so in being bonded on the bottle surface, they inhibit the transfer or leaching of compounds from the plastic to the water.

I have certainly been around long enough to smell water bottles that had plasticky, synthetic chemical odors, and to taste the same in water from other bottles. We know for a fact that plastic formulations can, have, and do leach chemical compounds, some with high estrogenic activity levels like BPA, but many which have not been researched for impacts on humans.

Given what we don’t know about synthetic chemical compounds in the body, and given what we do know about the relationship of estrogens to cancer, it is certainly sensible to take precautions to reduce ingestng those things when possible. To that end, the small cost premium for a couple Purist bottles is the only downside to reducing the risk factor in cycling water bottles.

Couple that switch with a shift to bottled water in glass, and I think one could take some comfort in reducing consumption of water which has steeped in plastic.
Old 10-08-18, 07:48 AM
Tamiya

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Irony being, all the water pipes in modern houses these days Downunder are allowed to be PVC plastic.
Old 10-08-18, 08:52 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by Tamiya
Irony being, all the water pipes in modern houses these days Downunder are allowed to be PVC plastic.
Same up here in USA, but plenty of older homes and more humble homes, rather than the ostentatious McMansions so popular in new builds, still run copper.

Certainly we are talking about modern living, so nothing is universal, easy, or 100% guaranteed. It's all about which lifestyle choices one can afford to make, and which ones they cannot. It would be great if one could decide they don't want to get cancer and just stop using plastic water bottles, but it's far more complicated than that, and I think really boils down to simply moving the "football of progress" downfield by emphasizing the right issues and keeping the gameplay on course.
Old 10-08-18, 09:18 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Tamiya
I think that's just the unpressured drain lines. PVC makes horrible pressure lines for incoming water because it gets brittle after a few years and tends to fail catastrophically under pressure.
Old 10-08-18, 10:07 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Skipjacks
I think that's just the unpressured drain lines. PVC makes horrible pressure lines for incoming water because it gets brittle after a few years and tends to fail catastrophically under pressure.
There is chlorinated PVC (CPVC), which can be used for supply, and another type of plastic hose called PEX. Old fashioned PVC is typically used to supply main line into house, too.
Old 10-08-18, 10:43 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Even here in EcoNutLand California, all new build is PEX. Miles and miles of red and blue tubing.

I'm just glad they stopped using copper. Nothing like the first run of the shower in the morning, and the hot water smells like blood tastes. Mmmm.
Old 10-08-18, 11:08 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by joedab
...As such, looking into the specialized purist water bottles, I saw their hype about how their "purist technology naturally shields the inside of your bottle .. exactly the same way a lotus leaf shields itself to maintain its purity. Technology truly inspired by nature." The bottle interior is has a five micron coating of silicone something or other. Does anyone have information on the nature of this coating technology, the credentials of its purity and just how much the biomimicry claims are valid?
While I haven't drilled down on the details as you have, they are great bottles. Simply put, I use them and like them a lot and would certainly recommend them to anyone. They seem more resistant to the black yuk that tends to form in most bottles, and the watergate cap/valve design is great and well thought out. If you are in the market for a new bottle or two, try them out!
Old 10-10-18, 02:12 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
I don't notice any plastic taste in my water bottles. But I just re-use some gator-ade or vitamin water bottles that are made from that gender converting material that one can find scare stories all over the internet about.

Even if they are completely true, I'm not worried at all because I only fill my bottles just before I ride and the contents are gone in two to three hours. So how much bad stuff could possibly leach from the bottle during that time? Probably not much, and less each time they are used.
Old 10-10-18, 02:31 PM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
This kid...

... just told you to "HTFU"

Seriously. Unless you're getting your water shipped to you in glass bottles directly from the spring, no lotus leaf nanotech hydrophobic bottle is going to make you healthier... at a cellular level.

There was a thread on the gravel forum - guys complaining about bottle nipples getting dusty. $*@# me. I've been mountain biking since the '80s. Before that thread, I'd never heard/read anyone complain about dusty nipples.

Chopper... we need you buddy.

Last edited by LAJ; 10-10-18 at 04:07 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.