Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Dangers from Coyotes?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Dangers from Coyotes?

Old 03-08-19, 01:42 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
They do appear to be a bit accident-prone

Old 03-08-19, 04:47 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
They do appear to be a bit accident-prone
You make good point. One would hope some of this cross-breeding will be an upgrade.
Old 03-08-19, 06:33 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
You make good point. One would hope some of this cross-breeding will be an upgrade.
..didn't work that way for the Neanderthals.
Old 03-09-19, 12:30 PM
travelinhobo

Bikes: I'm not a guy - brand doesn't matter.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikesplendor
Thanks for sharing that. Interesting lifestyle. I would like to hear more about your adventures.

​​​​​I've camped more in forested areas up north. But I don't like the winters there. The Sonoran desert has its beauties, and it's kind of growing on me. I've never tried it during the hottest months, and I'm not sure I want to, but the rest is fine.

I've heard of bobcat problems, but I think they are very rare. Do you carry anything for self defense? I went through a lot of options and settled on bear spray (UDAP brand), and I've been happy with it.

I have almost stepped on a rattlesnake. I was looking out at the view, and he or she was right in my path. Glad it had some rattles left. They seem to come out more as it warms up, and are less nocturnal in milder weather, more nocturnal when it's really hot.

I've been charged by a javelina, but it just seemed startled and confused. I've seen them wandering and foraging in groups. Also saw some bighorn sheep that seemed curious about me. Various lizards. Will be watching for the desert iguanas in the creosote bushes as it gets warmer. Ravens, turkey vultures, eagles, free range cattle, hummingbird moths, hummingbirds, kangaroo rats, chipmunk-like ground squirrels, scorpions, a large unknown lizard, jackrabbits, cottontails, coyotes, tarantula hawks, and others.... It's a pretty interesting environment.

Do you have anything like a blog, or more about your travels and adventures?
No. Who wants to read about another street person? As for the bobcat chances, wasn't it a bobcat that runner in CO killed with his legs a few weeks ago?
Old 03-09-19, 02:24 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by travelinhobo
No. Who wants to read about another street person? As for the bobcat chances, wasn't it a bobcat that runner in CO killed with his legs a few weeks ago?
No... it was a young mountain lion.
Old 03-09-19, 02:46 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Just don't mess with these fellows that I rode passed in South Dakota. They can be quite nasty. Kill and injure more people than bears in Yellowstone.

OMG. I was camping in the Badlands once in the crappiest, cheapest tent that X-Mart sells when a crazy thunderstorm with 70MPH winds and hail came through...all the while, these dudes were roaming around outside the tent. One of the scariest experiences of my life.

I'm a fan of coyotes, at least the Western variety. I have pleasant memories of wandering around the (at the time undeveloped) areas between Boulder and Denver around sunset, while these majestic creatures were prancing and howling. No fear here; they tended to be very shy, and smaller than most feral dogs. They'd give me a quick glance, then go do their thing.

The biggest issues with coyotes where I lived were attacks on smaller animals, including domestic cats, squirrels, and smaller livestock. There were also some attacks on toddlers and infants as development happened, but this was an unfortunate consequence of housing being built in their homeland. My biggest concern about camping out with coyotes would be if you also have children or smaller dogs.
Old 03-09-19, 06:07 PM
Bikesplendor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bison vs pitbull (predictions?),
​​​​​

Bison vs bold tourist,

Last edited by Bikesplendor; 03-09-19 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-09-19, 06:25 PM
Bikesplendor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by travelinhobo
If there's a problem cat around (cougar or bobcat), either attacking or acting strangely or unusually boldly around humans, it deserves another level of caution. Otherwise, it seems (in my view anyway) that it's rare enough to relax, as long as you have some means of self defense.

I don't know, I would read a blog about your travels and life. I think quite a few people might be interested. If you're interested in writing about it.

Last edited by Bikesplendor; 03-09-19 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-09-19, 06:28 PM
BigAura

Bison vs stupid pitbull (predictions?),
​​​​​
https://youtu.be/qiQqScJCxpI

Bison vs moronic tourist,

https://youtu.be/PNvTHOrTf_Y
FTFY

Once again, these show the extents necessary to INCITE a confrontation. Try any of these interactions with a human neighbor and things could turn out considerably worse.

Last edited by BigAura; 03-09-19 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-09-19, 06:42 PM
stevepusser

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Raccoons can be quite annoying in campgrounds where they have been spoiled by nitwit family campers.
The coyotes that would go on the night walks with me really did not like raccoons. Once on the high school grounds, I passed a tree, and something started rustling in the branches. A raccoon appeared, hissed some kind of curses at me despite my calming tone of voice, then hustled down the trunk and off into the darkness. A few seconds later, a coyote snarled in that direction and the raccoon sped back to me and up the tree. It then made its way out onto a limb and onto the roof a nearby building.

By the way, the coyotes have not bit me or nor anyone else in two years. They remain quite fearful of anyone other than me, too...and they are not that sure about me--though they did do the humpty-hump many times both years right in front of me during the mating season the first two weeks of the year--a good reason to celebrate Jan. 1 if you're a coyote, if you ask me.

However, a friendly animal also puts itself in more danger if there are a**hole humans around, too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romeo_(wolf) though he did live longer than most wolves do in the wild.

Last edited by stevepusser; 03-09-19 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-09-19, 07:09 PM
Bikesplendor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Texas style,

"ya only live once — let's do it"
Old 03-09-19, 07:37 PM
BigAura

Texas style,

https://youtu.be/sxDlsfpBKqA

"ya only live once — let's do it"
Sad & dumb, IMO
Old 03-10-19, 11:33 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by stevepusser
...the coyotes have not bit me or nor anyone else in two years. They remain quite fearful of anyone other than me, too...
It is a pretty well known "bad idea" to desensitize any potentially dangerous wild creature to human presence. Your situation may be unique, and there have been many research scientists who have broken the rules in the name of scientific research, but it almost always ends bad for the wild critter, and often ends bad for a human or two in the process.

This is not my opinion. It is pretty much The Law unless otherwise permitted through special licenses. And for good reason.
Old 03-10-19, 11:39 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Sad & dumb, IMO
No joke. I mean, other than getting on the national news, what are the benefits of having a giant bovine tick-magnet poop-bag wandering through the human living spaces? No respect for nice flooring fo sho.
Old 03-13-19, 08:43 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
coyotes are very skittish animals, they don't care to be around humans whatsoever and will stay far away. You hear them at night but it's not big deal, I've had encounters with them and they run and hide; a mountain lion on the other hand, if they're hungry your food to them, while they usually don't attack humans they have been known to do so if you have intruded near their den or they're hungry, they've killed a few mountain bikers, and chased roadies, not sure if they ever killed a roadie.
Old 03-14-19, 05:40 AM
BigAura

Originally Posted by greatscott
a mountain lion on the other hand, if they're hungry your food to them, while they usually don't attack humans they have been known to do so if you have intruded near their den or they're hungry, they've killed a few mountain bikers, and chased roadies, not sure if they ever killed a roadie.
I think this has to due with the fact that the hungry mountain lion sees something acting-like-prey. Always best not to act-like-prey around a predator, IF you can avoid it Dogs instinctually chase cyclists for this reason.
Old 03-15-19, 07:37 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

I think this has to due with the fact that the hungry mountain lion sees something acting-like-prey. Always best not to act-like-prey around a predator, IF you can avoid it Dogs instinctually chase cyclists for this reason.
A mountain lion is quite a bit faster than a dog, if a mountain lion chases you, you got your legs full considering they can run up to 50 mph, but the good news is they will only do that speed for up to 2 minutes before giving up. Most mountain lion attacks and killings of a human have been to hikers and joggers; see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._North_America There is one mention of a biker, it doesn't say mountain biker like the one in Orange County California, so I'm thinking this may have been a road biker that was killed. I have heard of people encountering them but were not attacked, on another forum a person said that a female road cyclist quickly dismounted her bike and placed the bike between her and the lion and kept moving the bike to keep that bike between her and the cat, the cat eventually gave up and left. Apparently it's also better to run instead of standing down the cat, a running person while may represent the hunt for the cat also tells the cat that this person is healthy and able to flee, read this: https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...mountain-lion/ I've done a lot touring and the closest I ever got to a mountain lion was I heard a growl but never saw what growled, it may not even been a cougar but sounded cattish.
Old 03-15-19, 11:06 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
That has got to be one of the dumbest studies I've read in a while. According to the study:

But is it really safer to stay put than flee?

Not necessarily, says a new study, which warns that standing still may up one's risk of becoming mountain lion chow.

Richard Coss...studied the behavior of 185 people who were attacked by mountain lions...
half of the 18 people who ran when they were attacked escaped injury...
those who ran had a slightly higher chance of being killed in an attack28 percent...
compared with 23 percent (eight) of those who remained motionless during big cat attacks. About 39 percent...
who moved away slowly when approached by a mountain lion escaped without injury.

On the other hand, people who froze were the least likely to escape injury... Only 26 percent of them escaped...
43 percent of those who stood still in the face of a lion were badly injured compared with 17 percent of those who fled, according to the study.

"Immobility may be interpreted by the mountain lion as a sign that you are vulnerable prey,"... "not moving could lead the predator to think you're not aware of its presence or are incapable of escaping. Staring down a puma can let the animal know you’re aware it’s looking.

Thus, running might be the smartest move, Coss concludes, particularly if you are in a situation that allows you to sprint in a sure-footed fashion.

End quote.

What a mess. The researcher first admits standing your ground causes less injury than running but then conflates that freezing and remaining frozen leads to more injury than freezing and running and so suggests running might be better. Particularly of you're in the position to be sure footed.

Mountain lion - 50mph for 2 minutes
Usain Bolt - 28mph for 100yards.

Completely ignores his own findings as to the safest course of action:About 39 percent... who moved away slowly when approached by a mountain lion escaped without injury.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 03-15-19 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-15-19, 11:11 PM
boomhauer

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
one coyote memory, well...a few now, is sneaking up on a coyote on a quite bicycle while it licks the remains of a dead road turtle. The vertical leap must be 18 inches.
Old 03-16-19, 05:55 PM
greatscott

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
That has got to be one of the dumbest studies I've read in a while. According to the study:

But is it really safer to stay put than flee?

Not necessarily, says a new study, which warns that standing still may up one's risk of becoming mountain lion chow.

Richard Coss...studied the behavior of 185 people who were attacked by mountain lions...
half of the 18 people who ran when they were attacked escaped injury...
those who ran had a slightly higher chance of being killed in an attack28 percent...
compared with 23 percent (eight) of those who remained motionless during big cat attacks. About 39 percent...
who moved away slowly when approached by a mountain lion escaped without injury.

On the other hand, people who froze were the least likely to escape injury... Only 26 percent of them escaped...
43 percent of those who stood still in the face of a lion were badly injured compared with 17 percent of those who fled, according to the study.

"Immobility may be interpreted by the mountain lion as a sign that you are vulnerable prey,"... "not moving could lead the predator to think you're not aware of its presence or are incapable of escaping. Staring down a puma can let the animal know you’re aware it’s looking.

Thus, running might be the smartest move, Coss concludes, particularly if you are in a situation that allows you to sprint in a sure-footed fashion.

End quote.

What a mess. The researcher first admits standing your ground causes less injury than running but then conflates that freezing and remaining frozen leads to more injury than freezing and running and so suggests running might be better. Particularly of you're in the position to be sure footed.

Mountain lion - 50mph for 2 minutes
Usain Bolt - 28mph for 100yards.

Completely ignores his own findings as to the safest course of action:About 39 percent... who moved away slowly when approached by a mountain lion escaped without injury.
I thought that was a bit odd too, but the jest of the article is correct, and I was pointing out how fast a cat like that can run. But the cats aren't stupid, they're not going to be standing out in the open so you can see them giving you a heads up to run, no, they know you're there, they can smell you and hear you long before you would have any idea of their presence, what the cat will do is sneak up on you by hiding, and they know the area far better then you do, then they will pounce on you so fast and stealthy you won't know what hit you! Fortunately cat attacks on humans are extremely rare, because otherwise cats would be attacking us at an alarming rate and winning almost every single time.
Old 03-16-19, 06:42 PM
Happy Feet

Yeah, I thought he could have done a better job of delineating between standing stock still and moving purposefully away. The notion of running is kooky. What it appeared he was suggesting is not freezing motionless like a deer in the headlights, which makes sense as it telegraphs a lack of confidence.

All of my touring is through cougar and black bear territory and often grizzly too and I live on the side of a mountain that has resident black bears and cougars. We have had them at the elementary school and behind our backyard. I've never really had a negative encounter but I do take some precautions. Off road I ride slow around blind corners and make noise, don't wear earphones and always carry bear spray. Wearing a helmet and day pack can also protect the neck area that a cougar would probably go for initially.

My thoughts are the same for both black bear and cougars: Make noise to signal my presence, put the bike between myself and the animal, talk in a calm commanding voice to demonstrate confidence and move out of the area slowly, never turning my back. We see them as apex predators but they are always making the calculation between risk vs reward in regards to food because an injured predator quickly becomes prey itself. Coyotes are even more adverse to direct confrontation.
Old 03-16-19, 07:01 PM
greatscott

Yeah, I thought he could have done a better job of delineating between standing stock still and moving purposefully away. The notion of running is kooky. What it appeared he was suggesting is not freezing motionless like a deer in the headlights, which makes sense as it telegraphs a lack of confidence.

All of my touring is through cougar and black bear territory and often grizzly too and I live on the side of a mountain that has resident black bears and cougars. We have had them at the elementary school and behind our backyard. I've never really had a negative encounter but I do take some precautions. Off road I ride slow around blind corners and make noise, don't wear earphones and always carry bear spray. Wearing a helmet and day pack can also protect the neck area that a cougar would probably go for initially.

My thoughts are the same for both black bear and cougars: Make noise to signal my presence, put the bike between myself and the animal, talk in a calm commanding voice to demonstrate confidence and move out of the area slowly, never turning my back. We see them as apex predators but they are always making the calculation between risk vs reward in regards to food because an injured predator quickly becomes prey itself. Coyotes are even more adverse to direct confrontation.
I toured in black bear country but because I'm on the road and not off road I have yet in 15 years of touring ran into a black bear, or a mountain lion for that matter. Like I said earlier I have seen coyotes but they are very skittish animals and won't bother large humans. There have been rare cases where a Coyote got into a backyard where a baby was playing and dragged them off, but again that's very rare, but if you live in an area where coyotes are known to be you shouldn't be allowing a baby to play in the backyard by themselves without the adult outside watching them, and not inside doing the dishes or cooking or some other business, even if you're near a window and can see, a coyote, or a mountain lion are very fast and can pounce and kill the baby before you even have a chance to get outside to protect them. So never leave a baby unattended, yeah I know that sounds pretty basic but you would be surprise as to how many people do that very thing; I've seen parents leave a baby in a child seat in the back seat run into a store and are gone for only 3 or so minutes, but a lot can go very wrong in that short amount of time.
Old 03-17-19, 07:48 PM
Happy Feet

Not to derail the coyote theme but seeing as we were talking about bears I came across this on my trail run today just up the mountain from my place.

Old 03-18-19, 10:15 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 2,603 Times in 931 Posts
The creatures that seem most worthy of being careful about, at this point in my education at least, in the Sonoran desert, are rattlesnakes, scorpions, and desert giant centipedes. If not fatal, highly painful, unusually painful. And all the trouble that is involved in getting to a hospital and getting treated there. I haven't watched Coyote Peterson's gila monster encounter yet, but might check it out. I like to have a decent awareness and understanding of the local flora and fauna wherever I camp.
Honeybees. In the Sonoran desert it is safest to assume they are africanized honeybees. I've walked within 20 ft of a swarm without having any problems. Also watched a dog attack a swarm from a distance. Fortunately they didn't chase the dog or owner very far. Both had multiple stings tho.
Old 03-18-19, 01:02 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

My thoughts are the same for both black bear and cougars: Make noise to signal my presence...
Asleep in a tent I believe is the issue for the OP.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.