Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Good mechanics...

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Good mechanics...

Old 01-22-21, 07:43 PM
justinschulz9

Bikes: diamondback century 1, cannondale synapse, giant talon, fuji absolute

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Good mechanics...

like 9/10s of you guys have a pretty firm grip on your bike mechanics. in your words what are the best qualities of a bicycle mechanic.
what "mechanics" does your mechanic need to have in order to obtain your trust?
And where can someone learn to be a really good mechanic? (please dont only say the internet lol)
Old 01-22-21, 07:48 PM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Where can someone learn to be a really good mechanic? At a local bike shop or coop and most places are busy and hiring so as long as you have good basic mechanical aptitude and the desire to learn it should be relatively easy to find an entry level position to get you started.
Old 01-22-21, 07:58 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
If you're going to work on other's bikes then perhaps the first good quality to have is to listen well and know how to pull out of people the information you need without their loosing face when dealing with the "pro". Andy
Old 01-22-21, 08:25 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1357 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 273 Posts
Best qualities in a mechanic? A masters degree in mechanical engineering, and several years of floor-level experience in manufacturing/fabrication. Bike shop experience may not even be necessary, as competency starts with a firm grasp of the fundamentals. A professional engineer will have a deep understanding of materials, statics and dynamics, lubrication, corrosion, finite element analysis, CNC fabrication, CAD/CAM etc. that you could not gain by working several lifetimes in a shop.

The best bike mechanic I ever came across had this combination of education/background, and despite having no specific bicycle experience, within 2 weeks of starting to work on bikes, he was able to do things that most professional mechanics could never figure out. Which included identifying flaws in brand new components, and fabricating improved custom replacement parts.

The sorry bicycle industry cannot afford this type of person, particularly at the retail level, so 'competent' is probably as good as you can expect.

Worst bike mechanics? The barely-literate bike flippers that clutter up Craigslist with dangerous dysfunctional crap that they 'fixed' or 'tuned'. I've ran into many of these folks, and despite perhaps decades of experience in 'working on bikes', they don't have a clue.
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 01-22-21, 08:39 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
What I look for is someone who knows their stuff. Who can say OK I can fix that and actually fix it when presented with a major problem that most people would shy away from. I also love to see the passion. The best way to learn is by doing and that is best done working in a shop with some of the old heads in the back. You can learn a lot of useful stuff on the internet, Calvin Jones is a professional super knowledgable mechanic that I would gladly have in my shop all day every day if I could (but matching his salary, benefits and ownership in Park would be tough to beat) but actually doing it with someone watching over you and teaching you and you just soaking in knowledge will help immensely. Heck sometimes just the absorbing of information is handier.

However keep in a mind a lot of shops are probably going to have some younger kids and maybe some of them are good at their jobs and know their stuff, I had a kid I put as head tech because we had a bit of a power vacuum and I needed someone who had been there a while and he had and honestly he surprised the crap out of me. There was a lot he didn't know but a lot more he did and was able to take on the task quite well under immense pressure from myself and the person above me and the person above him. Plus he had big shoes to fill and I was proud as punch with him. So sometimes these kids can surprise you and well sometimes they are still kids and until bicycles become less toys and more actual serious tools we will probably still be getting a lot of kids and some will go on to get nice long grey beards and be crotchety but will wrench circles around most anyone and some will get weeded out. They will get their cool bike and then move on to something else.

To me a mechanic doesn't need to provide a show they need to be able to get their work done in a timely and professional manner and have a good set of tools.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-22-21, 08:46 PM
justinschulz9

Bikes: diamondback century 1, cannondale synapse, giant talon, fuji absolute

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
there are easy concepts like changing a tire or truing a wheel...
but what about tough concepts. where do most of you guys get the hands on experience for say a hydraulic brake job? or adjusting bluetooth shifters?
it would be nice if those grey beards were around more often for us younger guys learning deep in our passions.
Old 01-22-21, 08:54 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by justinschulz9
but what about tough concepts. where do most of you guys get the hands on experience for say a hydraulic brake job? or adjusting bluetooth shifters?
it would be nice if those grey beards were around more often for us younger guys learning deep in our passions.
Actually bleeding a hydro brake wasn't so bad, granted I had watched other people do it before but I did watch Park Tool's video when I had to do it myself. Being that I didn't have any hydro bikes till now I never really needed the skill. For eTap probably I don't know it is that hard. It is actually kind of less mechanic stuff and more computer stuff. Though a lot is still adjusting high and low limits which is kinda the exact same for a cable actuated derailleur.
Old 01-22-21, 09:18 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
like 9/10s of you guys have a pretty firm grip on your bike mechanics. in your words what are the best qualities of a bicycle mechanic.
Paying attention to how things work is probably the best quality of a good mechanic. Having a good memory helps.

And where can someone learn to be a really good mechanic? (please dont only say the internet lol)
I learned mostly by just doing. I read things early on...I started when Bicycling Magazine printed out a lot of “how to” articles...but much of what I learned was just by doing and doing and doing. Repetition is key.

So is a little bit of fearlessness. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes. Be very afraid to not learn from mistakes, however. As a scientist, I learned long ago that long ago that I learn more from mistakes than I learn from success. I tell my mechanic students that the difference between a newbie and a master mechanic is the cost of parts that have been ruined.

A good place to get lots of repetition is at your local co-op, if you have one. I was a very good mechanic before I started volunteering at mine...the mechanics used to ask me questions about bike repair...but I’ve gotten even better after about 10 years of volunteering and having worked on around 15,000 bicycles. I can work on as many as 30 bikes in a typical Saturday shift. Working on that many bikes at a time requires quick analysis of the problem and a whole lot of knowledge of how to fix the problems. I also have to tell the customer how to fix the problem...they are supposed to do their own work. And there are at least 5 other people in the shop needing my help as well as a couple of volunteers.

It also helps to realize that 99% of bicycle problems are related to derailer cables. Once you realize that and figure out how to fix those problems, mechanic work gets a whole lot easier. You’d be surprised how easy it is to look like a magician.

I, by the way, would make a really crappy paid mechanic. I get things fixed so fast that I would make zero dollars for an employer based on an hourly rate. I’m more like an emergency room mechanic...I treat ‘em and street ‘em!

If you don’t have a local co-op, think about starting one.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-22-21, 09:22 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
HERE?
I think you are very generous.
Old 01-22-21, 09:27 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
Except many of us gray beards don't have as much experience with electronics and hydraulics as the younger wrenches do. I can say a lot about 1970s Raleighs but little about 2020's stuff Andy
Old 01-22-21, 09:36 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Except many of us gray beards don't have as much experience with electronics and hydraulics as the younger wrenches do. I can say a lot about 1970s Raleighs but little about 2020's stuff Andy
Yep. Thankfully almost all of the bikes that come to my co-op are pre electronic shifting. I’ve only seen one in my shop and he wasn’t there for anything to do with the electronics...thankfully.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-23-21, 07:38 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
While not a bike mechanic I ran a maintenance organization with 260 pieces of mobile equipment from a few laboratory bikes to Cat D10 dozers and can tell you what I saw in our top mechanics, interpersonal skills, loves problem solving, takes initiative, detail oriented and diligent. These were the mechanics everyone wanted on their job.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 01-23-21, 08:01 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
In my few years working in a bike shop, the best qualities I developed were diagnostic skills, and communication. A mechanic has to be able to find what's really needed on any bike and find the best way to address those issues. That comes with experience in the shop in ways that no amount of reading can get you.
Then the mechanic has to be able to communicate that to the most skeptical and least technically saavy customers.

I once had a customer come in with a nice mtb that was in BAD shape. The Fox fork had a big hole in the lowers. When I called him to tell him he needed a new fork in addition to a bunch of other stuff, he replied, "what part is the fork?" I learned to never assume that the customer knows anything about their equipment after that.

Last edited by mack_turtle; 01-23-21 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-23-21, 08:13 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
In your words what are the best qualities of a bicycle mechanic?

A strong mechanical aptitude and then bicycle specific experience.

I can't emphasize mechanical aptitude enough. The best bicycle mechanics have this and are able to quickly excel in many other areas of mechanics.

I've hired and quickly trained many mechanics with zero experience in my print/mailing shop based primarily on their mechanical aptitude. These same people would also quickly become proficient bike mechanics if they chose to. So hands down, mechanical aptitude is number 1.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 01-23-21, 09:55 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Here? I would say less than 5%...maybe as low as 1%.
Old 01-23-21, 10:09 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I think there are some differences between a good home mechanic and a pro. You can be one without being the other, and with no loss of honor, like being a good cook without being a chef.

At home, you're not going to see 10000 bikes in your lifetime, but you have a chance to learn good general mechanical and troubleshooting skills around the house. Learn to repair anything that breaks. Learn to dive into a technology that's unknown to you. I repaired my home furnace yesterday. Learn to research problems on the web.

You guys who haven't worked on hydraulics and electronics... come on. You'd figure it out in a jiffy, because troubleshooting and "learning how to learn" are in your blood by now.

Practice preventive maintenance. Like a doctor, a pro mechanic has to make a quick assessment based on just what they see in front of them, and what the customer has told them. When it's your own bikes, you are constantly evaluating and observing their behavior while you ride. You can learn to notice problems creeping up and fix it before it actually breaks. You can also learn how your riding habits affect the reliability of your bikes. You will enjoy cycling more if every little problem doesn't eat up 2 hours taking your bike back and forth to the shop.

This is a little blog article that explains the benefits of preventive maintenance:

https://jessitron.com/2021/01/18/whe...keep-it-small/
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 01-23-21, 10:16 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
I see a mechanic not having come across electronic shifting yet. this is rare and only on expensive bikes. but i don't see how a mechanic hasn't come across hydraulic brakes yet. Almost every new bike has them now except some entry level bikes that may have cable brakes.
Old 01-23-21, 10:34 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
"A man's got to know his limitations"

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 01-23-21, 11:23 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I don't know if I could ever quantify an answer that would be anywhere close to what causes me to say good mechanic or bad mechanic.

Variables include but are not limited to what type work I'm wanting done on my bike, how thick my wallet is at that time, previous experience with that mechanic or shop. How well they talk, which might just include interesting stories and other conversation even if the mechanic skills are slightly lacking. Maybe even which side of the bed I got out of and the color of the sky that day.
Old 01-23-21, 01:05 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Being able to understand the issue in a holistic way. A lot of problems are interconnected in a way that focusing on the apparent one may not achieve satisfactory success. etail
Old 01-23-21, 04:06 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Best qualities in a mechanic? A masters degree in mechanical engineering, and several years of floor-level experience in manufacturing/fabrication. Bike shop experience may not even be necessary, as competency starts with a firm grasp of the fundamentals. A professional engineer will have a deep understanding of materials, statics and dynamics, lubrication, corrosion, finite element analysis, CNC fabrication, CAD/CAM etc. that you could not gain by working several lifetimes in a shop.

The best bike mechanic I ever came across had this combination of education/background, and despite having no specific bicycle experience, within 2 weeks of starting to work on bikes, he was able to do things that most professional mechanics could never figure out. Which included identifying flaws in brand new components, and fabricating improved custom replacement parts.

The sorry bicycle industry cannot afford this type of person, particularly at the retail level, so 'competent' is probably as good as you can expect.

Worst bike mechanics? The barely-literate bike flippers that clutter up Craigslist with dangerous dysfunctional crap that they 'fixed' or 'tuned'. I've ran into many of these folks, and despite perhaps decades of experience in 'working on bikes', they don't have a clue.
why would a guy with all those qualifications work in a bike shop?
Old 01-23-21, 06:10 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
what are the best qualities of a bicycle mechanic?
Experience, common sense, patience, intuition.

Empathic listening with understanding. Propose solutions before acting. Discuss alternatives.

And where can someone learn to be a really good mechanic?
Buy a bike, fully rebuild and refurbish it with period correct components, and sell it. Buy another and another. Keep doing it for a few years.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 01-24-21, 01:34 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 127 Posts
Working in a bike-shop isn't about fixing bikes, it's about making the customers happy.
Sure: for most people, you need to be reasonably competent at fixing bikes, and do a reasonably good job. But that's just one side of the story.

Being able to listen (to the customers) and pay attention to (mechanical) details helps.
But "people skills" in general help a lot (if you deal with customers, like most mechanics inevitably do).

Some 2 years ago, a question on this forum inspired me to write "Bicycle mechanic’s job – my thoughts".
It pretty much sums up my thoughts & experience on the question then asked, and is related to this one.
Old 01-24-21, 09:44 AM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
I have a rich employment history...Nuclear power plants, mgr, top tier restaurant, gas jockey, vacuum, insurance sales, gov’ment work; Registry of Deeds, auto service mgr, liquor store, route owner/driver, UPS driver, till the back had enough...started doing paper routes, lawns, including our own, probably from 12 yrs on...I was paying rent and buying a lot of my own clothes very early on, even did house cleaning as I grew out the paper routes; had two...lots of other fill in jobs...I now do Pest Control, only...there is not a day that I don’t pull from my whole life work experience...you have to know how to open...you have to know how to close...you have to know how to engender trust and confidence soon into the first encounter!
You have to start early!
Life is one big negotiation!
Then you better know how to fix the bicycle!
Or, your mechanic/partner better up to his game, too.
Old 01-24-21, 10:51 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
In the simplest terms to me, what makes a great bike mechanic is sufficient experience and be very "mechanically-inclined" to know how to fix something even if the mechanic hasn't fixed that particular bike or part. That kind of intuitive mechanical know-how is either innate in a person or it isn't.

Over the years I knew a number of bike mechanics that were "taught" how to fix bikes but weren't really all that mechanically inclined. That's ok for routine repairs but it got a little tiresome when they would come to me and ask how to do something that they hadn't done before. Yes, I think of myself as mechanically-inclined. It started when I was five years old I started taking everything apart and put if back together. My bike, our lawnmower, later my car and it morphed after that to computers and electronics.

Now, you might be asking yourself if you don't think that you're mechanically-inclined, "Ok so am I doomed?". NO!!! Start taking your things apart, memorizing or taking photos along the way and then put it back together again. Then do it again and again. Then read, download manufacturer parts diagrams and go for it!

The OP said forget the Internet. Wrong! YouTube is an invaluable resource for bike repairs and upgrades. Park tool's videos are particularly good.

I agree with Bike Gremlin's post before mine on people skills. The greatest bike mechanic in the world can still drive a customer away if they don't know how to interact with people, please the customer or LISTEN to the customer.

So what did I do with all of that know-how I learned over the years? I work for a major bank in their cyber security defense team.

--

Last edited by drlogik; 01-24-21 at 10:58 AM.
Likes For drlogik:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.