Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Landslide on PCH

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Landslide on PCH

Old 02-16-21, 08:23 PM
balto charlie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by TulsaJohn
Agree. Based on the video, it appears you could hike-a-bike through it. However, I am sure if any construction people are there they would not allow it. I actually think it would be cool if CALTrans (or whatever it is called) would allow cyclists once it became easy enough to walk through the area.
I saw a similar video and realized it was doable. Your video is much better,very cool.

We have had many floods in my area in the last 5 years and I have found construction crews are very cool to cyclists. I think I was only denied once, usually walk my bike through the construction. The time I was denied was totally understandable. They were working with some very bizarre pieces of equipment, injecting some epoxy/cement under a collapse roadway on a steep slope. I just wanted to watch
Old 04-09-21, 02:11 PM
fourfa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
https://twitter.com/CaltransD5/statu...659960837?s=20

"
Great news: #Hwy1 at Rat Creek south of #BigSur will OPEN to thru traffic by Friday, April 30, two months ahead of schedule due to favorable weather & soil conditions. Thanks for your patience & cooperation, kudos to our crews/contractor for a safe, speedy rebuild.
@BigSurCC"
Likes For fourfa:
Old 04-10-21, 04:50 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Wow I am Impressed. I didn't expect it to open this year when I saw the original pictures of the slide.
Old 04-14-21, 07:06 AM
kevmcd

Bikes: 1983 Woodrup Giro Touring w/ Huret Duopar, Campy high flange hubs, Deore Dyna-Drive crank pedals and brakes 1987 Bridgestone MB2 bafang mid-drive added in 2015

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
OK, I'm in

Big Sur is on my list and I know I would regret it if I didn't make it happen now.

I plan to Amtrak down to Salinas in the next 2 weeks and be at Rat Creek on the 30th (or a day or 2 before with hopes of inadvertently crossing through the construction zone after work hours)

Any recommendations on a website that lists bicycle campsites along the way? How long are the stretches with no grocery stores? I only do about a third as many miles per day as I did 40 years ago.
Old 04-14-21, 07:52 AM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by kevmcd
Any recommendations on a website that lists bicycle campsites along the way? How long are the stretches with no grocery stores? I only do about a third as many miles per day as I did 40 years ago.
I wrote a guide to riding from SF to LA that might be of interest to you. There are stores in Carmel, Pfeiffer-Big Sur, and Cambria. There are small and expensive shops at Lucia and Gorda. There are a smattering of restaurants, as well. There are several campgrounds but you will need to check if they are open and, if so, under what conditions.
Likes For raybo:
Old 04-14-21, 08:09 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2590 Post(s)
Liked 1,921 Times in 1,205 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Wow I am Impressed. I didn't expect it to open this year when I saw the original pictures of the slide.
Ditto! I wonder what the difference was between this one and the slide a few years back -- how'd the engineers decide this was OK to fill with riprap, and the previous slide needed a bridge? How much did the "we can get it open by this summer with fill" datum weight that decision?
Old 04-14-21, 09:22 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
So far, the CA State Parks website still states that "...group campsites remain closed." This seems to be a blanket message that applies to all CA state parks, but I know for fact that Leo Carillo hiker/biker is open. The only way I can think of to determine if a particular hiker/biker site is open is to call the parks.

Originally Posted by raybo
I wrote a guide to riding from SF to LA that might be of interest to you. There are stores in Carmel, Pfeiffer-Big Sur, and Cambria. There are small and expensive shops at Lucia and Gorda. There are a smattering of restaurants, as well. There are several campgrounds but you will need to check if they are open and, if so, under what conditions.
Old 04-14-21, 09:35 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Good video of the reconstruction
Old 04-14-21, 10:36 AM
kevmcd

Bikes: 1983 Woodrup Giro Touring w/ Huret Duopar, Campy high flange hubs, Deore Dyna-Drive crank pedals and brakes 1987 Bridgestone MB2 bafang mid-drive added in 2015

Thanks Raybo for the tour notes

I don't have any experience with hiker/biker sites in California. Will they turn me away if they are full?
Old 04-14-21, 11:01 AM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Ditto! I wonder what the difference was between this one and the slide a few years back -- how'd the engineers decide this was OK to fill with riprap, and the previous slide needed a bridge? How much did the "we can get it open by this summer with fill" datum weight that decision?
The last slide took out an existing bridge.
Old 04-14-21, 11:04 AM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Originally Posted by kevmcd
I don't have any experience with hiker/biker sites in California. Will they turn me away if they are full?
The idea is that no hiker or biker is ever turned away from a hiker-biker site. But, at Kirk Creek Campground (near Lucia on the Big Sur coast), the hiker-biker site has a limited number of spots. People without reservations park their cars on the highway and walk in and claim sites there. This is obvious by the gear they have carried down from their cars. I got the last spot. I wanted to ask the campground host what would happen if the hiker-biker area was full, but I couldn't find him/her before I left.
Old 04-14-21, 09:30 PM
kevmcd

Construction site under 24 hour guard

I talked to a High School friend of mine today who lives in Carmel. She said the construction site is under 24 hour guard and no tourists or locals are getting to the other side.

I still think I will try to go before the 30th but just do an out and back trip of the northern section.
Old 04-15-21, 05:22 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by raybo
The idea is that no hiker or biker is ever turned away from a hiker-biker site. But, at Kirk Creek Campground (near Lucia on the Big Sur coast), the hiker-biker site has a limited number of spots. People without reservations park their cars on the highway and walk in and claim sites there. This is obvious by the gear they have carried down from their cars. I got the last spot. I wanted to ask the campground host what would happen if the hiker-biker area was full, but I couldn't find him/her before I left.
It was a few years ago, but there was a ranger there at Kirk Creek who was in my estimation actively and openly hostile toward cyclists. The folks who knew him by reputation referred to him as "Ranger Rick". I assume that these 10 years later he is long gone.

Note: Upon checking my notes it isn't clear if he actually was a ranger or was a camp host who overstepped his authority and presented himself as a ranger.

Last edited by staehpj1; 04-15-21 at 05:26 AM.
Old 04-20-21, 10:23 AM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 502 Times in 319 Posts
According to the TV news (KTVU) this morning the road will open this Friday at noon. That would be the 23rd. Enjoy!
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 04-20-21, 10:59 PM
kevmcd

Anyone know if the State Park hiker/biker sites are open

Thanks for the update on the road opening.

I haven't been able to get anyone at the California State Parks to answer the phone. Has anyone heard if the hiker/biker campsites are open?
Old 05-03-21, 10:18 PM
kevmcd

Beautiful time to be on PCH

Last week I rode from Carmel to San Luis Obispo on the PCH. Plenty of ongoing construction but Rat Creek was complete. The construction made bicycling more pleasant. There wasn't much traffic to begin with but the construction grouped the cars in batches so I usually had a chance to pull over when the train of cars approached from behind and then I had a nice quiet period with the road to myself.

I camped 3 nights in hiker/biker sites and in all cases I was the only one there. All the campsites seem to be open.
Likes For kevmcd: