Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Specialized Diverge for Touring

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 04-02-21, 12:50 PM
fujidon

Bikes: Fuji Pro, Raleigh Team, touring bike, hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts

I bought a Specialized Diverge gravel bike which I plan on also using as a touring bike. I like the Bontrager Carry Forward front rack, but I can't see how to mount it. There's a threaded hole in the back of the fork crown which I assume is for a fender (yes?), but there's no hole in the front where the rack would be secured.

I guess I could figure something out. For example, use the back hole to attach a bar that goes under the crown and curves up in front to which the rack is then attached. That seems kludgy and it just seems there should be a better way.
Old 04-02-21, 01:38 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
with a bike that expensive, you really should ask Spez themselves, given that the bike really wasnt designed to take a big traditional front rack like that.
but I could be wrong.
Likes For djb:
Old 04-02-21, 03:04 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
A few weeks ago there was someone else asking about putting racks on that bike, I did not look at it close, not sure if they said anything about a front rack.
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...bon-frame.html

I am not really sure why people are putting racks on carbon bikes, that is kind of like pulling a boat trailer with a Porsche.

A friend of mine found a carbon fork that he could fit to his titanium bike that had the rack fittings he needed. Maybe you need a different fork? I am using a steel fork on my titanium touring bike that has the rack mounting points. I had that specific fork in mind when I bought the frame.
Old 04-02-21, 05:41 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 198 Posts
I have a 2015 Janis Renegade Expert, which is, more or less, a carbon frame gravel bike. I tried putting a rear rack on it, (along with a handlebar roll, a full frame bag + bikepacking saddle bag), and the weight played havoc with the bike handling. Rated for "light touring", there is definitely a reason that you aren't provided with rack attachment points. Figure out how to pack light, then think about what bags you can strap directly to the bike. Forget about the racks for this bike.

If you absolutely, positively must carry a bunch of gear and supplies (food and water are surprisingly heavy), consider an ExtraWheel trailer and put your panniers on that.
Old 04-02-21, 07:02 PM
fujidon

Bikes: Fuji Pro, Raleigh Team, touring bike, hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
I have the Diverge Elite E5 which has an aluminum frame, but a carbon fork. There are attachment points for a rear and front rack and I already installed a rear rack. It's just the specific front rack that I'm having an issue with. I may have to look at other front racks. The last tour I took, which was on a different bike, I was carrying about 15 lbs spread over 2 front and 2 rear panniers. I definitely noticed the effect on handling, but it was very manageable. I'm expecting it to be similar on the Diverge.
Old 04-03-21, 05:13 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by fujidon
I have the Diverge Elite E5 which has an aluminum frame, but a carbon fork. .....
My error, a posting a few weeks ago said that a Diverge is carbon, I did not realize that one bike model comes in a choice of aluminum or carbon frames. I knew that Trek had started offering different frames under one model name, did not know other manufacturers are doing that now.

I mentioned above possibly a different fork. But if your total weight is 15 pounds, perhaps skipping the front panniers and rack and instead using a bikepacking type handlebar harness. If you do that you would have to be careful for bag placement and length of the drybag so that your shifting is not impaired.

Addendum, added a photo. I met this gal in summer 2019, I think she had already ridden over a thousand miles when I met her. By packing light with only rear panniers, maybe a rack top bag and a handlebar harness, she was doing ok. She had flat bars, so length of bag did not impair her handlebar controls however.

Not a bikepacking harness, but a conventional handlebar bag, you can see that my shifter is not impaired but it is close.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 04-03-21 at 08:28 AM.
Likes For Tourist in MSN: