Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Wireless Computers

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Wireless Computers

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-06, 06:12 AM
andrewh
where2pedalto.com

Bikes: LoGo Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wireless Computers

Greetings Bent folks.
A fellow bentist and I were talking today about if a wireless computer would work if the computer was mounted on a little stand along the main frame or boom on a trike?
I am asking because of the fact that one of the the riders legs would be in between the computer and the wheel and is thought might block the signal. Does anyone have any experience in this area?
Regards
Andrew
https://www.where2pedalto.com
Old 05-04-06, 06:32 AM
cjs1948

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewh
Greetings Bent folks.
A fellow bentist and I were talking today about if a wireless computer would work if the computer was mounted on a little stand along the main frame or boom on a trike?
I am asking because of the fact that one of the the riders legs would be in between the computer and the wheel and is thought might block the signal. Does anyone have any experience in this area?
Regards
Andrew
Moving legs between the computer and sender don't seem to matter. The Cateye on my trike works well most of the time and I have one moving leg between the two parts. The distance does matter--mine has to operate near the max at about two feet. The closer you can keep the parts, the more dependable the operation.

Chip
recumbenttrikestore.com
Old 05-04-06, 08:31 AM
jeff-o
Recumbent Evangelist

Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Metal seems to interfere more than legs. Also, if you are at the far end of the maximum allowable distance, you may have some trouble. I'd recommend a wired computer, it saves a lot of hassle!
Old 05-04-06, 02:46 PM
blknwhtfoto

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am thinking about getting a computer for my bike. Will I be able to set it to use the front wheel instead of the rear? My front is 16". Whatdya think? Will it still be accurate?
Old 05-04-06, 03:01 PM
SoonerBent
<><

Bikes: RANS Tailwind

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by blknwhtfoto
I am thinking about getting a computer for my bike. Will I be able to set it to use the front wheel instead of the rear? My front is 16". Whatdya think? Will it still be accurate?
Yes, computers can be set for smaller wheels.
SB
Old 05-05-06, 07:47 AM
joelw135

Bikes: ActionBent Trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a CatEye Micro with the sensor mounted on front wheel and the computer mounted on Stem. Pictures located here.https://home.comcast.net/~joelw135 Just enter site and go to projects page.
Old 05-06-06, 12:58 AM
andrewh
where2pedalto.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks one and all, for your answers.

Regards

Andrew
Old 05-07-06, 03:13 AM
ppc
Senile Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewh
Greetings Bent folks.
I've never understood why people would choose wireless computers: they're more expensive, they get confused at the first sign of EM perturbation (powerlines, hamradios...) especially if the head unit isn't mounted as close as possible to the sending unit, and they use two batteries instead of just one. The only thing they offer is a very clean look, and they save you the 10 minutes it take to cleanly install a wired computer.

Honestly, install a wired computer, you'll never have problem. I have one mounted at the end of my boom with a homemade clamp:

The wire runs under the clamp and under the boom. It's almost invisible unless you look under the bike, and even so, the wire just looks like a small seam weld.
Old 05-07-06, 05:18 AM
andrewh
where2pedalto.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ppc
I've never understood why people would choose wireless computers: they're more expensive, they get confused at the first sign of EM perturbation (powerlines, hamradios...) especially if the head unit isn't mounted as close as possible to the sending unit, and they use two batteries instead of just one. The only thing they offer is a very clean look, and they save you the 10 minutes it take to cleanly install a wired computer.

Honestly, install a wired computer, you'll never have problem. I have one mounted at the end of my boom with a homemade clamp:

The wire runs under the clamp and under the boom. It's almost invisible unless you look under the bike, and even so, the wire just looks like a small seam weld.
It's that wire that makes people want a wireless version. It can (to name a few):
1. get in the way,
2. make it hard to clean the area around it,
3. break and
4. look untidy.

I am not against wired computers, I've have them on my bents now, but was thinking about getting a wireless one and it was during a discussion about them that the original question came up. Each to their own I guess.
Regards
Andrew