Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Route suggestion for Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 05-17-12, 10:33 PM
ham

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm trying to get from Montreal QC to Portland ME, and then back to Montreal via a different route as quickly as possible, so the fewer the hills the better.

Montreal to Portland
Portland to Montreal

Any suggestions/recommendations?
Old 05-17-12, 11:32 PM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's been a while since I pedaled New England, but the Kangamangus highway in NH, and Rt 5 in VT comes to mind.
Very pretty place to tour.
Old 05-18-12, 12:00 AM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out suggestions by plotting routes on www.ridewithgps.com for elevation profiles. Stick with US highways to avoid grades >6% most of the time.
Old 05-18-12, 03:19 AM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
i live in the NEK of VT, the route to montgomery is fine. Rt 58 out of montgomery soon becomes a dirt road and it is quite hilly. where rt58 crosses rt 100 is the base of Lowell mtn - it is a three mile climb to the top - then a really mean down hill - 100 kph on a bike. barton hill road is mostly not paved & hilly as well -- suggest in irasburg staying on rt 58 (left, then a steep hill) to lake region road, turn rt on to lake region rd, about 4 km mostly down hill to rt 5, then another right on to rt 5 into barton. barton , south a long crystal lake is nice- then heading toward burke is hilly. i haven't ridden on rt 114 much beyond burke or east of there - cannot comment on the road, however it is a hilly area. hard to transverse this area and not have some hills.
Old 05-18-12, 08:53 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
+1 on Kangamagus Highway in NH. Pretty ride.

Your route to Portland goes near Lake Carmi State Park. Nice place if you need a place to camp.
Old 05-18-12, 09:09 AM
late

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 12161 Post(s)
Liked 1,475 Times in 1,088 Posts
113 is lousy for bikes. I have ridden part of it, not again.

Take 153 south out of Conway to Rte 25 (we always go through a pretty little town called Freedom NH).

I wouldn't ride 302 either.. there are a bunch of backroads you can take up to Norway. I've ridden them, Blackstrap to Babbige to Dutton Hill to N. Raymond

From Norway you can go W 116

Btw, I love the Kancamangus, but check the elevation gain, it's mountainy, not hilly.
Old 05-18-12, 09:33 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5876 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Also check out the adventure cycling maps of the region. I used their maps when touring in the area and thought that the roads they picked out were, by and large, pretty reasonable. But local knowledge is always best. By the way, while my memories of the Kancamangus were that it was beautiful and not too bad, I thought the hills around Norway were actually pretty demanding!
Old 05-19-12, 07:07 AM
late

Ham,
are you still there?
Old 05-19-12, 07:49 AM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 50 Posts
I rode on 113 out of Conway and it was a "never again" kind of road to me. It was a busy highway but had an ample shoulder, as I recall. Once I was past the outskirts of Conway, which go on a bit, the traffic died out. I followed 113/302 to Fryeburg, then 5 to 93 to 37 to 118 into Norway, where I are at a fabulous Vegan restaurant! You can read about that day's ride and see dozens of photos in my journal for that day. You can also see my tour tracks at trackmytour.com.

I found riding this part of Maine to be lots of short but steep rolling hills. It looked flat on google! I remember being very tired after this ride.

I am not a local and there are, indeed, lots of local roads that I didn't think about taking as I had no detailed map of the area. As I recall, some of the are dirt roads and I wanted to stay on pavement. For the most part, the roads I rode either had shoulders or were sparsely traveled. Regardless of what roads you ride, you'll likely be surrounded by forest all day.

I also rode the Kancamagus Hwy. It is climbing but through a beautiful National Park. I wouldn't ride through this area without doing it and I did it in the rain!

Last edited by raybo; 05-19-12 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-20-12, 06:50 AM
late

Originally Posted by raybo

I rode on 113 out of Conway and it was a "never again" kind of road to me. It was a busy highway but had an ample shoulder, as I recall. Once I was past the outskirts of Conway, which go on a bit, the traffic died out. I followed 113/302 to Fryeburg, then 5 to 93 to 37 to 118 into Norway, where I are at a fabulous Vegan restaurant! You can read about that day's ride and see dozens of photos in my journal for that day. You can also see my tour tracks at trackmytour.com.

I found riding this part of Maine to be lots of short but steep rolling hills. It looked flat on google! I remember being very tired after this ride.

I am not a local and there are, indeed, lots of local roads that I didn't think about taking as I had no detailed map of the area. As I recall, some of the are dirt roads and I wanted to stay on pavement. For the most part, the roads I rode either had shoulders or were sparsely traveled. Regardless of what roads you ride, you'll likely be surrounded by forest all day.

I also rode the Kancamagus Hwy. It is climbing but through a beautiful National Park. I wouldn't ride through this area without doing it and I did it in the rain!
We did a tour up that way a few years ago, and I think we ate at the same place in Norway. Was it also a health food store?