Search this Thread

Old 03-18-15, 08:25 PM
Dlion0721

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Inner Loop Rides

Apologies first for all the questions I've had lately. I'm just getting into biking in Houston and trying to figure out some initial routes that are beginner friendly. Based on my other thread I've got my weekend morning ride pretty much figured out. However, I took my commuter bike out tonight and tested my route to work (Houston Heights to Downtown so basically just took bike trail) this evening and saw tons of road bikers going everywhere.

Question is what are some of your favorite routes inside the loop (starting from the Heights) for a 20 or 30 mile ride after work on the weekdays? It seems city streets would be very stop and go but maybe I'm wrong about that. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 03-18-15, 09:51 PM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
Good question. I live in Kingwood so I don't ride anywhere near there. You could look at the past routes for the Tour of Houston on their website. The shorter routes usually stay inside the Loop. The route changes each year.
Old 03-19-15, 12:49 PM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I start outside the loop, down in Westbury, but I ride inside the loop a lot. The roads are mostly horrible. I ride the Brays Bayou path, Fannin and San Jacinto through midtown and downtown, the Heights trail and Heights Boulevard.
Old 03-27-15, 01:05 PM
aggarcia

Bikes: 14 Ridely Noah RS, 09 Trek 2.1, 10 Trek 7.1 FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can took at Map my rides or the routes your LBS would recommend. In town riding especially with groups like strong start and then stop, so interval training. Roads around houston can be pretty beat up.
Old 07-05-15, 07:50 AM
Rex G

Bikes: Bianchi Alloro, Veloce, San Remo, Pista; Rivendell Canti Rom; Zinn custom

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just saw this; it has been quite a while since I rode regularly, or visited this site. Unfortunately, most Houston street riding is very stop-and-go. If you are willing to assertively take the lane, Memorial Drive, through Memorial Park, allows some distance between traffic signals. Keep in mind that the controlled-access part of Memorial Drive, from Downtown, to a bit west of Shepherd Drive, is signed for a minimum speed limit of 40 MPH, and also signed that pedestrians, non-motorized vehicles, and even motor-driven cycles, such as mopeds, are prohibited.

Allen Parkway can be cycled, between Shepherd Drive and Downtown, but it is not for the faint of heart, as some motorized traffic treats it as a freeway, in spite of the 40 MPH speed limit. The same is true of some stretches of the 610 Loop feeder roads.

The Picnic Loop in Memorial Park is OK for riding around in circles. Beware of pedestrians, skaters, and such.

The cycling paths in the Heights area have now, I think, been linked to the Braes Bayou paths. This was under construction when I stopped actively riding several years ago. I plan to investigate this for myself soon.

I have ridden laps around the traffic loop surrounding the statue of Sam Houston, in the Hermann Park area, on quiet Sunday nights, when vehicular traffic was very light to non-existent. I am not sure whether those conditions prevail, with the changing demographics in the area.

I wish I could be more helpful, but at least this bumps the thread back to the top. I am interested in this topic, myself, though I am in Bellaire, not the Heights.
Old 01-06-16, 01:55 PM
GerryinHouston

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
GoogleMaps has a Bicycling option, where you can see the bike lanes on the map and plan your ride. I've found it quite useful and use it often (even real time with my Android phone)
Old 01-07-16, 02:29 AM
Chipoleany

Bikes: Cinelli Mash Parallax

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
There are lots of areas inside the loop that can be ridden with minimal stops at lights. Some of my favorite streets are Washington Avenue (From downtown to Shepherd or can be taken directly into Memorial park), San Felipe from River Oaks Blvd to Wesleyan then turn left on Wesleyan and turn left again on Westpark (smooth streets and bike lanes).

Here is one of my regular 15 mile loops that could easily be extended or take multiple laps.

Strava Link