Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Anybody here does "virtual" riding?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 09-28-15, 09:01 AM
PatrickR400

Bikes: 2015 Ghost Panamao X3; 2015 Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hello,

The weather is getting colder by the minute around here (Québec) so I'm looking at alternatives for winter training. I could go the the gym but I find the the lack of variety simply demotivating. For example, my gym has canned group rides; there are 3 workouts that get modified every 3 or so months. The equipment is Keiser M3 bike which are OK enough but just kind of ajustable.

I was wondering if anyone in this section of the forum was doing "virtual" riding and if so if they could share information on their platform, equipment, etc.

I'm personally thinking of using my current hybrid bike (Ghost Panamao X3) and a Tacx Genius Smart trainer. It would give me variable resistance both up and down hill, speed, cadence, and with HR (optional sensor). I would also go for the Google Earth option so I could create routes as needed to keep my motivation up.

I'm looking forward to your input.

All the best,

Patrick
Old 09-28-15, 09:18 AM
Fangowolf

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT / Motobecane Fhantom CX 105 / Giant Cypress ST / EZ Sport AX / Trisled Touring Trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a wahoo Kickr Snap and have been using Zwift, but it is in Beta and seems to have bugs to iron out every major upgrade. I wanted to ride last night and spent an hour trying to get the new version running. CycleOps Virtual Trainer looked pretty good, but I didn't try it before my trial ran out. When the weather turns bad I'll have to pick one of the software packages.
Old 09-28-15, 09:34 AM
PatrickR400

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've taken a look at the Zwift thing but as you say it is in Beta and looks somewhat limited. Or it's just that they don't show much. The same mechanical bits (Tacx) would work with Zwift too I believe.
Old 09-28-15, 10:19 AM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
I use a BKool Pro trainer/simulator with their web based software (I pay for the premium account at $144.00 per year which allows me to upload my own routes, courses).

This will automatically pull the route data from Strava into the software so you and others can ride the same ride virtually. Also I can ride parts of the world tours, and even compete with others. The BKool software will allow over 100 riders on the same course at the same time and if you are within 50 feet of another rider you also can have voice communication.

Cost of the BKool Pro is about $650.00.

I have put many hundred miles on the BKool trainer from when I was 395 pounds to now at around 360 pounds and haven't broken it yet.

The Bkool Trainer software if you want it to will automatically load your ride data to Strava as well and it will be listed in Strava as a virtual ride.

Other trainers like the Wahoo Kikr (spelling?) will work with the BKool software.

The BKool trainer will automatically adjust resistance based on road grade.
Old 09-28-15, 10:37 AM
PatrickR400

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dagray
I use a BKool Pro trainer/simulator with their web based software (I pay for the premium account at $144.00 per year which allows me to upload my own routes, courses).

This will automatically pull the route data from Strava into the software so you and others can ride the same ride virtually. Also I can ride parts of the world tours, and even compete with others. The BKool software will allow over 100 riders on the same course at the same time and if you are within 50 feet of another rider you also can have voice communication.

Cost of the BKool Pro is about $650.00.

I have put many hundred miles on the BKool trainer from when I was 395 pounds to now at around 360 pounds and haven't broken it yet.

The Bkool Trainer software if you want it to will automatically load your ride data to Strava as well and it will be listed in Strava as a virtual ride.

Other trainers like the Wahoo Kikr (spelling?) will work with the BKool software.

The BKool trainer will automatically adjust resistance based on road grade.
Thanks!
Old 09-28-15, 11:49 AM
Fangowolf

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT / Motobecane Fhantom CX 105 / Giant Cypress ST / EZ Sport AX / Trisled Touring Trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zwift will get there, but I'm worried it won't be for lower end bikers like myself. I'm running around 100 FTP and it feels more geared to 200ish. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIz_SjuKQ4c

Added: I will add that Wahoo is the currently most supported product, softwarewise

Last edited by Fangowolf; 09-28-15 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-28-15, 12:11 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The search function on BF isn't always the best, so I tend to use google.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...bikeforums.net
Old 09-28-15, 12:47 PM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Kenetic trainer + Trainer Road

Trainer Road is chock full of training plans and workouts depending on what you want to accomplish. For $12/month not a bad deal.
I'm good for about 100 hrs over the winter which for me is Jan - Mid March
Old 09-28-15, 12:48 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 161 Times in 80 Posts
I use a trainer and the Sufferfest videos. Not virtual but there is a wide variety. 20 videos currently and soon to be +3 new releases. Most are available from several sources streamed. There will also be an app released soon. They are not for everyone however if you are motivated by pro racing video along with killer music with on-screen prompts and good story lines give them a try. Actually give them a try anyway. One month of streaming is only $10.
Old 09-28-15, 12:54 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
And get a virtual work out? Not me. I favor wool, fleece, studded tires and fat bikes, but not all together sometimes. Xc ski, snowshoes etc as well.
Old 09-28-15, 01:28 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
And get a virtual work out? Not me. I favor wool, fleece, studded tires and fat bikes, but not all together sometimes. Xc ski, snowshoes etc as well.
I'm right there with you! For me, part of the whole experience of being on a bike is being outside, no matter what the weather is. I'll go to the gym and do some weight training if it is too cold to ride for long periods, but I have nothing against bundling up
Old 09-28-15, 02:17 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
I'm right there with you! For me, part of the whole experience of being on a bike is being outside, no matter what the weather is. I'll go to the gym and do some weight training if it is too cold to ride for long periods, but I have nothing against bundling up
South Carolina? So is that just a long sleeve shirt? Or a hat too. Cold is when my gatorade, freezes, solid
Old 09-28-15, 03:02 PM
PatrickR400

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fangowolf
Zwift will get there, but I'm worried it won't be for lower end bikers like myself. I'm running around 100 FTP and it feels more geared to 200ish. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIz_SjuKQ4c

Added: I will add that Wahoo is the currently most supported product, softwarewise
I guess it all depends who you race against. Personally, I don't race and I ride alone because it suits my personality (or lack...)
Old 09-28-15, 03:03 PM
PatrickR400

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe
The search function on BF isn't always the best, so I tend to use google.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...bikeforums.net
Indeed; Google site searches are very powerful. Good reminder
Old 09-28-15, 03:05 PM
PatrickR400

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by IBOHUNT
Kenetic trainer + Trainer Road

Trainer Road is chock full of training plans and workouts depending on what you want to accomplish. For $12/month not a bad deal.
I'm good for about 100 hrs over the winter which for me is Jan - Mid March
Thanks. They are also recommended by Tacx
Old 09-28-15, 03:06 PM
PatrickR400

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Black wallnut
I use a trainer and the Sufferfest videos. Not virtual but there is a wide variety. 20 videos currently and soon to be +3 new releases. Most are available from several sources streamed. There will also be an app released soon. They are not for everyone however if you are motivated by pro racing video along with killer music with on-screen prompts and good story lines give them a try. Actually give them a try anyway. One month of streaming is only $10.
Thanks, that would add to the variety too and I guess it would make for more structured training.
Old 09-28-15, 03:07 PM
PatrickR400

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I guess you are going to say that Boston has a real hockey team too...
Old 09-28-15, 03:25 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 161 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickR400
Priceless I yes, I think he had that coming.
Old 09-28-15, 03:28 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
South Carolina? So is that just a long sleeve shirt? Or a hat too. Cold is when my gatorade, freezes, solid
Haha. We get fairly cold, especially in the early morning commuting hours. The cold season just doesn't last too long. Spent most of my life in Baltimore, did a winter in CT and decided I never wanted to live north of the Mason Dixon
Old 09-28-15, 03:39 PM
Fangowolf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickR400
Dallas fans are appreciating Tyler
Old 09-28-15, 07:10 PM
silkey

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
Haha. We get fairly cold, especially in the early morning commuting hours. The cold season just doesn't last too long. Spent most of my life in Baltimore, did a winter in CT and decided I never wanted to live north of the Mason Dixon
to be honest,at least for me when it gets to 48 degrees its time to go indoors.on the other hand ,when it gets to 100 degrees or higher I am still going.its just what you are used to.
Old 09-28-15, 08:01 PM
bmthom.gis

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by silkey
to be honest,at least for me when it gets to 48 degrees its time to go indoors.on the other hand ,when it gets to 100 degrees or higher I am still going.its just what you are used to.
I'm ok as lomg as it is above 30. In the twenties...forget it. I'll be doing something else until it warms up, but never riding a trainer
Old 09-29-15, 04:02 AM
aidynskas

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fangowolf
I have a wahoo Kickr Snap.
Sorry for off topic question (can't send PM):

Where did you buy Wahoo Kickr Snap? I'm looking for one but can't find it for sale anywhere.
Old 09-29-15, 06:30 AM
Fangowolf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aidynskas
Sorry for off topic question (can't send PM):

Where did you buy Wahoo Kickr Snap? I'm looking for one but can't find it for sale anywhere.
I got it direct from the Wahoo site.
Old 09-29-15, 06:37 AM
Fangowolf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Turns out my Problem Sunday night was a usb extension cable went bad. Only two months from purchase and it stopped working. Guess I should be thankful that its a cheap problem. Bkool software looks interesting, I might have to try that one out. I almost feel like I need two programs, One game-like and the other more of a trainer while watching TV or Book listening.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.