Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help IDing Lemond Spine Frame

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-20-19, 10:22 PM
Maslin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

Picked up an early (mid?) 2000’s Lemond on Craigslist for $200, Carbon/white "spine" frame, Brev M wheels, cracked tires, hipster flat bars, etc etc etc.

I'll be keeping it single speed, just a toy for around town. Added some FSA Adventure bars, I'm used to the 12* flare from my Salsa commuter.

I've found the PDFs of the old Lemond catalogs, but I can't find anything about a bike without a model name. The only marking is "Custom" in script on the left side, right side is blank. Decals and script are under the clearcoat. I believe it is a 53, based mostly on wheelbase measurement. Feels about like my 54 Salsa.

Ever seen one of these without a model, just “Custom”?

Can't post images or links yet... White on the Reynolds half, carbon on top. Nothing from the original kit to know what level it may have started life as.

Last edited by Maslin; 09-21-19 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-21-19, 06:54 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
The Versaille was white/carbon. I am assuming the metal part is steel. If it is not, then it is either aluminum (Buenos Aires) or titanium (I believe it was called Tete de Course) and has been repainted.
I have a Zurich, which is steel/carbon and is blue.
They all had the model name on the top tube, so yours may indeed be "custom"
Old 09-21-19, 08:45 PM
Maslin

Originally Posted by MikeWMass
The Versaille was white/carbon. I am assuming the metal part is steel. If it is not, then it is either aluminum (Buenos Aires) or titanium (I believe it was called Tete de Course) and has been repainted.
I have a Zurich, which is steel/carbon and is blue.
They all had the model name on the top tube, so yours may indeed be "custom"
The labels say “OCLV Carbon 120” and “True temper OX Platinum heat treated ultralight weight air hardening alloy the feel of steel”

Also, made in the USA with a flag. I assumed it was steel but may be something else? Definitely no model on it anywhere, just “custom” on the left side.
Old 09-22-19, 04:10 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
https://www.strongframes.com/tubing-information/
Old 09-22-19, 07:01 AM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
True Temper Platinum is steel. (see if a magnet sticks to it).
Likely was a Versaille. Originally came with 9 speed Ultegra. Last made in 2006, I believe.
Old 09-22-19, 09:46 AM
Maslin

Definitely steel. The internet says LeMond transitioned from Reynolds 853 to True Temper OX Platinum some time in 2004.

Looks just like a Versailles, but all the spine bikes look the same I guess. Paint is pure white, “LeMond” logos are white with black. All the Versailles’ on google have dark blue logos.

The search continues. Maybe that “custom” actually means something. Email sent to trek with the serial number, maybe they can come up with something.

Last edited by Maslin; 09-22-19 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-22-19, 08:53 PM
Maslin

Maybe I’m at 10 posts? Bar tape was my daughters choice, it’s slick and may not last long. More parts on the way, I’m piecing this together as I go.

Old 09-24-19, 10:40 AM
Maslin

Heard back from Trek, it was indeed a "custom" ordered bike.

"Alright, so after some digging, I have a little more info for you here. In 2005 (I only have a spec manual and not a catalog for ‘04,) our LeMond catalog has a customization program advertised. Essentially, you chose your frame between either the titanium or steel option, then you build from there, much like our Project One program we have now. All of the photos of the frames available in the catalog don’t have a name designation on the top tube like the rest of the bikes in the lineup due to the fact that the bike models were differentiated via componentry. Eg: The Maillot Jaune came stock with Shimano Dura-Ace 10 speed, where the same frame was used for the Versailles, but came stock with an Ultegra/105 9 speed mix."

The frames were all the same between models, whether steel or titanium. The components made up the actual model. The serial number from my bike does not come up on their system, it truly is a mystery. May actually be a 1/1 white over carbon bike.

The rep from Trek was very polite, nice to know you can reach out and speak to a real person.
Old 09-25-19, 05:50 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by Maslin
Picked up an early (mid?) 2000’s Lemond on Craigslist for $200, Carbon/white "spine" frame, Brev M wheels, cracked tires, hipster flat bars, etc etc etc.

I'll be keeping it single speed, just a toy for around town. Added some FSA Adventure bars, I'm used to the 12* flare from my Salsa commuter.

I've found the PDFs of the old Lemond catalogs, but I can't find anything about a bike without a model name. The only marking is "Custom" in script on the left side, right side is blank. Decals and script are under the clearcoat. I believe it is a 53, based mostly on wheelbase measurement. Feels about like my 54 Salsa.

Ever seen one of these without a model, just “Custom”?

Can't post images or links yet... White on the Reynolds half, carbon on top. Nothing from the original kit to know what level it may have started life as.
Wheelbase measurement has a poor correlation to frame size, because there are so many additional factors in play. If you need a simplistic estimate, a much better choice is the seat tube length, from center of the BB spindle to the top of the top tube where it meets the seat tube. It's at least as easy, and for some frames that actually is the frame size.
Old 09-25-19, 06:46 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by Maslin
Heard back from Trek, it was indeed a "custom" ordered bike...

The frames were all the same between models, whether steel or titanium. The components made up the actual model. The serial number from my bike does not come up on their system, it truly is a mystery. May actually be a 1/1 white over carbon bike.
A point of clarification..in reference to the years 2000+..the statement "The frames were all the same between models, whether steel or titanium" isn't true in a broad sense. Within some model-clusters I think it's a fair statement that models were differentiated by components alone. The Trek-Lemond catalogs(tech catalogs on the vintage trek website) indicate(for example) the Maillot Jaune and Zurich models had "853 Pro" ovalized downtubes(vertical on top and horizontal on the bottom) vs the Buenos Aires (and others) had "853 Designer Select" round downtubes. The chain & seat stays on some models were 525 or 725 while the main triangle was 853. The steel vs titanium frames were essentially the same, though there were differences between them..they were not identical.

Give the 2001 spec manual a read..you'll see how it worked..
Old 09-25-19, 08:36 AM
Maslin

Originally Posted by fishboat
A point of clarification..in reference to the years 2000+..the statement "The frames were all the same between models, whether steel or titanium" isn't true in a broad sense. Within some model-clusters I think it's a fair statement that models were differentiated by components alone. The Trek-Lemond catalogs(tech catalogs on the vintage trek website) indicate(for example) the Maillot Jaune and Zurich models had "853 Pro" ovalized downtubes(vertical on top and horizontal on the bottom) vs the Buenos Aires (and others) had "853 Designer Select" round downtubes. The chain & seat stays on some models were 525 or 725 while the main triangle was 853. The steel vs titanium frames were essentially the same, though there were differences between them..they were not identical.

Give the 2001 spec manual a read..you'll see how it worked..

Understood. I believe he was speaking specifically about the "Spine" bikes.

Trying to determine the size I referenced the size chart from the catalog. Many of the measurements are similar between 51, 53W and 53, wheelbase seemed to be the one determining factor, although 1mm across a 970mm span is pretty hard to see.

Rode the bike a bit last night, looking forward to 170 cranks and proper pedals, I've clipped the pavement a few too many times.