Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Replacement Fork for 2013 Cervelo R3

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-20, 07:44 PM
jonschmon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Does anyone know if it's possible to purchase a new replacement fork for a 54cm 2013 Cervelo R3 -- either Cervelo brand or a different brand? Even if I could find a used replacement I wouldn't trust it.

I recently had an unfortunate accident with my roof rack. Suffice to say, my 2013 Cervelo R3 was sheared off its fork mount when I clipped a parking garage. The "nubs" that retain the front wheel are gone and my local bike shop is recommending I not trust the fork, which seems like good advice. The rest of the bike appears OK; I've had it checked over by the local bike shop and there appears to be no other damage except the seat, which can be replaced.

Cervelo changed their frame shape after 2013 and forks for subsequent model years will not fit. I know the frame was the same for 2011-2013 so a new fork from any of those model years would work. I'm not sure, but an R5 fork from those years might also fit.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Old 01-19-20, 12:51 AM
SCTinkering

Bikes: 2020 T-Lab X-3 w/GRX Di2, 2018 Trek FX-5S with GRX/Xt 1x drive train

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
Might check with WoundUp, but they are built for durability vs performance. They do a lot of forks for tandems, but I put one on my 2003 Airborne because they also have a disc mount option. So now my pre-disc bike has a disc up front.
Old 01-19-20, 06:08 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3659 Post(s)
Liked 5,405 Times in 2,745 Posts
I'm surprised your shop can't locate something compatible. You are braver than I to ride a carbon bike that was sheared off the roof!
Old 01-19-20, 06:48 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
You might try calling Austin Tri-Cyclist; the last time I was in there they had a stack of older Cervelo R-series forks that had been sent there accidentally but they didn't have to return. I want to say they're the white-with-red-pinstripes paint.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 01-19-20, 08:30 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
You can look thru here.. not sure why, but kinda difficult to find lots of online webstores that show these:

=106]CERVELO FORKS

Last edited by Sy Reene; 01-19-20 at 08:34 AM.
Old 01-20-20, 01:59 PM
jonschmon

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Tapered fork

Thanks for the replies.

I checked Woundup and it doesn’t look like they sell a tapered steerer from 1 1/18 - 1 3/8 which is what’s needed here.

I contacted the bike shop in Austin but they only have used options.

I already have been in touch with the online store linked to above. The only fork they have that would fit is $800 for a 2013 RCA. I’ve asked if they will come down at all.

I did find an eBay posting for the exact fork I need with an uncut steerer. The seller claims it’s new, but they got it from their LBS and it has scratches “from storage”. I don’t really trust that.

Any other suggestions?
Old 01-20-20, 02:06 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by jonschmon
I did find an eBay posting for the exact fork I need with an uncut steerer. The seller claims it’s new, but they got it from their LBS and it has scratches “from storage”. I don’t really trust that.
I'd consider this option a little more. What you're looking for is NOS part - at some point you've gotta have a little bit of trust. The steerer is uncut - what's the likelihood that someone was riding around on their Cervelo with a periscope bumping their sternum?
Old 02-08-20, 12:40 PM
jonschmon

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
A quick update on this — I ended up finding one last 2014 R3 fork new from mybikeshop.com. It fits and my bike is as good as new! And very ugly :-/

I also bought the new but scratched 2013 fork on ebay. It seems to be in good shape, the scratches are just cosmetic. If anyone needs one let me know, otherwise I will be relisting it. Seems like this could be the last new uncut 2011-2014 R3 fork on the internet.
Likes For jonschmon: