Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Stronglight dustcap source?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-20, 03:25 PM
jpjpjp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

So I've been working on a '74 Raleigh Gran Sport and just realized that I'm missing a dust cap on the non-drive side crank.

Now, it isn't entirely necessary that I find a matching Stronglight dust cap, but I was wondering if anyone on here knows of any good sources for them, or has any. Ebay is pretty limited, it seems.

Thanks!
Old 03-02-20, 03:25 PM
jpjpjp

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Here's a picture of the drive side cap.

Old 03-02-20, 03:33 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stronglight...IAAOSwxeleVrhW

$15 and free shipping. Probably the best you're going to get. Pre-80s Stronglight stuff goes for big $$.

You could also become a member here and post in the C&V sales forum. Maybe someone has an extra they would let go of.
Old 03-02-20, 05:42 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Or ask in the ISO/trade thread, except, probably, the same people who would respond in the trade thread are probably looking here already. Good luck.

BTW, you might try European ebays.
Old 03-02-20, 06:14 PM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
jpjpjp -

Unbranded but stylistically the same dust caps are available here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stronglight...MAAOSwExJXofZB

Likes For bertinjim:
Old 03-02-20, 06:19 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by bertinjim
jpjpjp -
Unbranded but stylistically the same dust caps
Wow, those are prettier than OEM.

Old 03-02-20, 07:23 PM
jpjpjp

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks all! Decided to go for that spare single dustcap on eBay... though pretty surprised there aren't more around!
Old 03-02-20, 08:01 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26410 Post(s)
Liked 10,376 Times in 7,204 Posts
...I've been switching over to these for the past four or five years. It's just easier and does not offend my sensibilities.

Old 03-02-20, 08:04 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Clarks Allen Key Crank Bolts

Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 03-02-20, 08:13 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,073 Posts
You can always leave them off. That's what all the cool kids (pro racers and wannabees) did, BITD. Lotsa racers wouldn't be caught dead with the dustcaps installed -- they felt that was a newby or fred thing to do.

Even though I was a racer and hung out with racers, I wasn't nearly so dogmatic about it. I like the finished look with the caps on, and they do provide some slight service to justify their weight. But honestly they're mostly for looks, and bikes without them work just fine. When they're installed too tight without any lube on the threads and then allowed to corrode until they cold-welded in place, then they're not very happy-making. So don't do that!

Mark B in Seattle
Likes For bulgie:
Old 03-03-20, 09:36 AM
jpjpjp

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
You can always leave them off. That's what all the cool kids (pro racers and wannabees) did, BITD. Lotsa racers wouldn't be caught dead with the dustcaps installed -- they felt that was a newby or fred thing to do.

Even though I was a racer and hung out with racers, I wasn't nearly so dogmatic about it. I like the finished look with the caps on, and they do provide some slight service to justify their weight. But honestly they're mostly for looks, and bikes without them work just fine. When they're installed too tight without any lube on the threads and then allowed to corrode until they cold-welded in place, then they're not very happy-making. So don't do that!

Mark B in Seattle
Good to know!

Funny that you mention it... I just tried taking the one that's on there off and surprise, surprise, it seems to be stuck in place. Any suggestions towards getting it out of there?
Old 03-03-20, 04:37 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by jpjpjp
Good to know!

Funny that you mention it... I just tried taking the one that's on there off and surprise, surprise, it seems to be stuck in place. Any suggestions towards getting it out of there?
...like any unpainted interface on a bike, the most reliable method involves heating with a propane torch, then dribbling in some penetrating oil around the thread line. If it dos not work the first time, don't strip out the wrench hole, but heat and cool and oil again. After a few cycles of this, it will break loose. If you do strip out the wrench opening accidentally, you can still usually salvage the cap by drilling two holes in it and using a pin spanner to twist it off.

this is exactly why those one piece bolts I linked with an integral cap are so appealing. They never do this.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 03-03-20, 04:43 PM
Duke7777

Bikes: 48 Alleluia, 52 Blondin, 57 Cattaneo, 68 CNC, 55 Dujay, 46 Herse, 76 Singer, 48 LeGreves, 55 Metropole, 62 Holdsworth Cyclone, 49 Carpenter, 55 Condor, 65 Masi Special, 81 Sequoia, 76 Eisentraut, 72 Proteus, 60 Paramount, 77 Trek TX700, 82 Ross

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 55 Posts
I unfortunately didn't notice this thread until just now, but I have three spares I would be happy to sell. $18 for all three, shipping to US included.
To remove your stuck one, penetrating oil, heat on the crank arm, gentle tapping on the cap, and patience should work.

Old 03-03-20, 04:56 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I've been switching over to these for the past four or five years. It's just easier and does not offend my sensibilities.

Is that self-extracting? No compatibility issues with the Stronglight threading?
Old 03-03-20, 06:42 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by noobinsf
Is that self-extracting? No compatibility issues with the Stronglight threading?
...it's not a self extractor. It;s just a plastic collar that fits onto a flange on the bolt, so it has no threading. See the following post link to look at them. You still need a suitable Stronglight puller.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 03-03-20, 07:54 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,073 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
The only one-key release bolts for 23.3 mm that I know of were made by Amir Avitzur in Israel. I have a set:

The aluminum block in the middle of the green foam is the pin tool for installing/removing the "cap". That's a little rough, like a prototype, but the rest of the parts are beautiful.

I got these years ago and I sorta doubt he still has any for sale, but you could ask him if you have contact info for him.

Mark B in Seattle
Old 03-03-20, 07:56 PM
KenNC

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by bertinjim
jpjpjp -

Unbranded but stylistically the same dust caps are available here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stronglight...MAAOSwExJXofZB

I have purchased both the Stronglight and TA replacement caps from this gentleman (Bespokechainrings) on eBay and have been very happy with them. Sometimes eBay goofs up his shipping costs and marks it 22 USD, which is incorrect. The actual shipping costs are more like 4 USD. Don't be put off by that and just ask him to correct it if the wrong price is listed.
Old 03-04-20, 03:09 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,464 Times in 1,433 Posts
No one can tell that your cranks (or dust caps) don't match, because they can't see both at once.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 03-04-20, 07:15 PM
desconhecido 

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
No one can tell that your cranks (or dust caps) don't match, because they can't see both at once.
I would know and it would keep me awake at night. It would be like having an MKS touring pedal on one side and a Campagnolo SL on the other. Or, one blue eye and one brown. Or, two left feet. Wouldn't that be fun at the shoe store.

This is true. I bought a long unused Mercian last night. SN indicates it's a 1985. The one bad pic I had of it seemed to show a Tricolor 600 RD but I couldn't tell much else. Turns out to have what I believe is a C Record crank and front derailleur, SR (I think) brakes and levers without hoods. The left DT shifter is the one that came with 6 speed C Record Synchro (I think) and the right 7 speed indexed shifter is 600 Tricolor. OY! Front rim is Mavic G 40 and the rear is some kind of Weinmann. Hubs front and rear have no easy to identify markings but the QRs are Miche. Stem is Cinelli 1R about a mile long with near mint 66 42 bars and the wrap is old, old, shrunk, shrunk leather. Jeez, what a mess. I can't imagine using those mismatched shifters without creating a singularity. Top tube has an area of pretty bad rust -- looks like sweat induced rust that wasn't properly addressed and progressed under tha paint I think it's repairable. But, the price was mucho bueno, so what can you do?
Old 03-04-20, 07:20 PM
desconhecido 

The only one-key release bolts for 23.3 mm that I know of were made by Amir Avitzur in Israel. I have a set:

The aluminum block in the middle of the green foam is the pin tool for installing/removing the "cap". That's a little rough, like a prototype, but the rest of the parts are beautiful.

I got these years ago and I sorta doubt he still has any for sale, but you could ask him if you have contact info for him.

Mark B in Seattle
Man oh man, that's beautiful. I just love this sort of stuff. A bunch of years ago, somebody was turning handlebar plugs out of, I think, stainless. I think I remember who, but I'm not sure. Somebody else was turning a LED lamp housing out of, I believe, maple. And then there are the frame building guys aroung the country always doing something wonderful.
Old 03-05-20, 08:28 AM
jpjpjp

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by desconhecido
I would know and it would keep me awake at night. It would be like having an MKS touring pedal on one side and a Campagnolo SL on the other. Or, one blue eye and one brown. Or, two left feet. Wouldn't that be fun at the shoe store.
Funny you say that - I know someone with one brown eye and one blue. I wonder how she would feel about differences on either side of a bike.

Thanks all for the input on dustcaps. Keeping an eye on those slick ones from Australia!
Old 03-05-20, 11:42 AM
desconhecido 

Originally Posted by jpjpjp
Funny you say that - I know someone with one brown eye and one blue. I wonder how she would feel about differences on either side of a bike.

Thanks all for the input on dustcaps. Keeping an eye on those slick ones from Australia!
So did I. We discussed it in ninth grade biology along with blood type. Nobody made an issue about it, it was just sort of interesting.
Old 05-17-20, 02:16 AM
amirinisrael

Bikes: '27 Selbach,'38 Schwinn Superior, '53 Ephgrave #2, '60 Narcisse, 60's Sauvage LeJeune, '75 Follis 572,80's Italian Mystery bike, '99 Gary Fisher Ziggurat, 2008 Brompton ...

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts

Mark B in Seattle
Thanks for the mention Mark. I still have a set or two. Fun project.
I can be contacted at avitzur.amir@gmail.com if anybody's interested.

Amir
Likes For amirinisrael:
Old 05-17-20, 05:12 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by amirinisrael
Thanks for the mention Mark. I still have a set or two. Fun project.
I can be contacted at avitzur.amir@gmail.com if anybody's interested.

Amir
You don't happen to have a similar set for Specialites TA do you?

I'm still in the process of checking whether or not my Stronglight cranks require the special extractor but I got a dual TA/Stronglight extractor a few years ago from Poland.
Old 05-17-20, 09:07 AM
amirinisrael

Bikes: '27 Selbach,'38 Schwinn Superior, '53 Ephgrave #2, '60 Narcisse, 60's Sauvage LeJeune, '75 Follis 572,80's Italian Mystery bike, '99 Gary Fisher Ziggurat, 2008 Brompton ...

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
23mm self extracting crank bolt

Originally Posted by JaccoW
You don't happen to have a similar set for Specialites TA do you?

I'm still in the process of checking whether or not my Stronglight cranks require the special extractor but I got a dual TA/Stronglight extractor a few years ago from Poland.
Sorry, all out of 23mm (TA) SECBs.
A
Likes For amirinisrael:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.