Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Visser Cycles Tourmalet bicycle

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-20, 04:21 AM
Locomotief

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts

I found an other Visser bicycle on the dutch online marketplace. From what I know now it's been through some changes in its life. The parts seem to be late 70ties but the frame looks older than that. And who build or rebuild it is still a mystery to me.

Let's start with the decals. I know that Visser was a dutch bicycle shop owner in rotterdam. And I did some googling on the name "cycles tourmalet". One dutch site suggest that it was build by an other dutch shop owner by the name off Daan Sprey. Who used to build bikes under that name before he started using his own name on his bikes. An other thread started by #non-fixie he suggested that it might be french.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/782520-cycles-tourmalet-anyone-know-what-they-pic-heavy.html

The previous (elderly) owner bought the bike secondhand and had it repainted and probably had it modernized with newer parts. Probably somewhere this week I'm going to take a look at the bike and hopefully find out some more information about the bike. I kinda like it and the price we settled one is very reasonable. I thought I share it with you guys a see what you think off it. It's not a collector's item but maybe a nice conversation piece to have and ride.
Likes For Locomotief:
Old 03-09-20, 10:09 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 3,335 Times in 2,175 Posts
-----

Thank you for sharing this interesting find - hope it works out for you!

Appears to have commenced life right near to 1970.

Lug pattern looks to be EKLA.

Fork crown BOCAMA.

Seat stay plugs Nr. 309 -

Original gear ensemble Freres Huret -

remaining are shift levers Nr. 1882, chainstay stop Nr. 194, bottom bracket cable guide Nr.1846 and cable casing for front mech Nr. C 200

original front mech likely model 700; original rear mech likely model Svelto or Allvit

pump holder set is REG (Rampinelli) -

pedals Lyotard Nr. 36

original chainset likely cottered steel

-----

Last edited by juvela; 03-09-20 at 10:13 AM.
Likes For juvela:
Old 03-09-20, 02:15 PM
Locomotief

Wow.......

#juvela your good at your research.

I'm speechless.
Old 03-09-20, 03:41 PM
juvela

-----

Not quite visible in photos provided -

pump head may be Silca cast metal:

-----

Last edited by juvela; 03-09-20 at 08:38 PM. Reason: syntax
Old 03-09-20, 04:25 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2197 Post(s)
Liked 4,599 Times in 1,764 Posts
Nice find, Locomotief !

WRT the Cycles Tourmalet decals: I suspect they may have been available through the trade at some point. Daan Spreij did indeed use them on his early builds. I visited Daan about a year and a half ago, I think, just before he retired and closed his shop. He showed me this couple from his personal collection:

Another link that may be of interest: Rutger's Cycles Tourmalet

Last edited by non-fixie; 07-28-20 at 01:37 PM. Reason: typo
Likes For non-fixie:
Old 03-10-20, 03:45 AM
Locomotief

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

Not quite visible in photos provided -

pump head may be Silca cast metal:

-----
I really like the pump and pump holder set. What is the age off this pump set up #juvela
Old 03-10-20, 03:49 AM
Locomotief

Originally Posted by non-fixie
Nice find, Locomotief !

WRT the Cycles Tourmalet decals: I suspect they may have been available through the trade as some point. Daan Spreij did indeed use them on his early builds. I visited Daan about a year and a half ago, I think, just before he retired and closed his shop. He showed me this couple from his personal collection:

Another link that may be of interest: Rutger's Cycles Tourmalet
I was hoping to hear from you #non-fixie

So if I understand you correctly. The decals where not daan's brainchild but something you could buy off the shelf and stick on your frame? So do you think that this frame was made or sold by daan?
Old 03-10-20, 06:58 AM
juvela

Originally Posted by Locomotief
I really like the pump and pump holder set. What is the age off this pump set up #juvela
-----

If you are asking about the green bicycle in the photo it is a Cinelli Model B from about 1954 (IIRC!). When one gets back far eno' the plastic Impero bodies came with a removable rubber plug in the top of the handle so that spare spokes could be stored inside the shaft.

-----
Old 03-10-20, 02:31 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

I was hoping to hear from you #non-fixie

So if I understand you correctly. The decals where not daan's brainchild but something you could buy off the shelf and stick on your frame? So do you think that this frame was made or sold by daan?
To be honest, I'm not sure yet. But the bikes I've seen with these decals represented a wide range in terms of style and build quality, and I've also seen online mentions of Belgian shops using them. What I do know from his own words is that the Sprey-branded bikes came from other manufacturers as well as from his own shop.

But this is the internet, where everything is possible. Some information that looked quite promising led right back to myself, which isn't helping a lot ...

Another thing is that I've actually forgotten to ask Daan Spreij about the Peugeot until now. He still lives in my area, I think, and if I run into him again I'll be sure to ask.

EDIT: anyway, I really like that bike of yours, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of it.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 03-10-20, 03:54 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

I just found a new-to-me mention of a Cycles Tourmalet on a German forum: nimm-du-es-ich-kann-will-darf-nicht.

Apparently it was for sale a year ago:

Interestingly, it bears a familiar decal on the down tube. It's this one:

Old 03-10-20, 04:14 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Here's another one, borrowed from a Dutch forum. The picture dates from 1969, according to the poster. I recognize the young man in the picture; I have met him at a couple of C&V events a few years back. Nice guy. I must remember to ask him about this bike next time I see him.

Old 03-10-20, 07:44 PM
juvela

-----

shell of our subject machine appears to be NERVEX Professional with nozzle cut Nr. 162.

would need better image to be sure

---

hubs may be relatively late production Campag Nuovo Tipo small flange
the curved skewer handles suggest wheels to be later then frameset

-----
Old 03-11-20, 04:55 AM
Locomotief

I just found a new-to-me mention of a Cycles Tourmalet on a German forum: nimm-du-es-ich-kann-will-darf-nicht.

Apparently it was for sale a year ago:

Interestingly, it bears a familiar decal on the down tube. It's this one:

I picked up the bike yesterday. The previous owner told me he bought a secondhand frame at wim vissers shop. Wim then had it repainted at an other place. Like you I'm starting to think there was a small painting company where you could have your bike done with these decals.

So it could be that both wim visser end daan sprey had a few frames done there. According the previous owner the paint job was a special kind of process. He mentioned the word "Moffelen" what translates in powdercoating. Maybe something new at that time.

I did a quick Google check and p slikker was a well known bike shop there. They had there own brand off bikes called the "giovanni". I gave them a call but the shop has new owners. They told me that the old owner would be more then happy to talk about the history of his shop. So that might be a lead to check out.
Old 03-11-20, 05:08 AM
Locomotief

-----

shell of our subject machine appears to be NERVEX Professional with nozzle cut Nr. 162.

would need better image to be sure

---

hubs may be relatively late production Campag Nuovo Tipo small flange
the curved skewer handles suggest wheels to be later then frameset

-----
I haven't had time to make some good pictures but your right about the campag hubs. #juvela

I really love the bike now I've seen it in person and own it parts from all over the place on this one. And tubular tires.... not sure if I should be happy with that. But they hold air! For now...

The old owner helped out in wim vissers shop in de weekends. They where good friends. He was there when wim applied his visser decal on the this bike after the repaint. The old owner upgraded/changed the bike with stuff laying around the shop. He was really proud off his bike. He kept telling me how good the bike was.

I made one quick picture before leaving this morning. I was also thinking it was NERVEX.
Likes For Locomotief:
Old 03-11-20, 09:40 AM
juvela

-----

Hello again Lady Steph,

Good to read you were successful in making the purchase and were able to learn more information regarding this cycle.

Thanks very much for this new image.

Shows yet another goof on me part.

Lug pattern looks to be an early version of the NERVEX 45/159.

The version shown in me catalogue has a triangular cutout in the side of the feature cut which the bicycle's lugs lack. So assume it may be an earlier version. Otherwise they match.

You must to be tallish. Frame appears to be about 58 or 59cm c-t-t.

-----
Old 03-11-20, 01:03 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

I picked up the bike yesterday. The previous owner told me he bought a secondhand frame at wim vissers shop. Wim then had it repainted at an other place. Like you I'm starting to think there was a small painting company where you could have your bike done with these decals.

So it could be that both wim visser end daan sprey had a few frames done there. According the previous owner the paint job was a special kind of process. He mentioned the word "Moffelen" what translates in powdercoating. Maybe something new at that time.

I did a quick Google check and p slikker was a well known bike shop there. They had there own brand off bikes called the "giovanni". I gave them a call but the shop has new owners. They told me that the old owner would be more then happy to talk about the history of his shop. So that might be a lead to check out.
Excellent info! Thank you.

It would be interesting to follow up on this. Daan Spreij and Piet Slikker are of the same generation, were operating in the same area (North Holland), and were/are both active cyclists as well. There's a good chance they knew each other.

When I picked up my Giovanni in Alkmaar five years ago I drove by the Slikker shop on the way back, just in time to catch Piet and his lovely wife Ria - who were still running the shop at the time - as they were closing up for the evening. The story and pics are here: Show & Tell: Giovanni.

There are more interesting coincidences: these two guys were the only two brand owners I visited and asked (and got) to pose for me with their/my bikes. Besides the fact that both bikes are orange () there are more similarities between them. I would not be surprised at all if they both shared the same Belgian connection.

Piet Slikker with my Giovanni:

Daan Spreij with my Sprey:

Old 03-11-20, 03:36 PM
Locomotief

Excellent info! Thank you.

It would be interesting to follow up on this. Daan Spreij and Piet Slikker are of the same generation, were operating in the same area (North Holland), and were/are both active cyclists as well. There's a good chance they knew each other.

When I picked up my Giovanni in Alkmaar five years ago I drove by the Slikker shop on the way back, just in time to catch Piet and his lovely wife Ria - who were still running the shop at the time - as they were closing up for the evening. The story and pics are here: Show & Tell: Giovanni.

There are more interesting coincidences: these two guys were the only two brand owners I visited and asked (and got) to pose for me with their/my bikes. Besides the fact that both bikes are orange () there are more similarities between them. I would not be surprised at all if they both shared the same Belgian connection.

Piet Slikker with my Giovanni:

Daan Spreij with my Sprey:

That's pretty cool you got to meet them both. The bikes do have some similarities.... and why do you think it's a Belgian connection?
Old 03-11-20, 03:47 PM
Locomotief

Tried to make pictures but the camera on my phone is not that good... I'll give it a try in daylight tomorrow.

I did found this mark on the fork legs:

a dragonfly. I found some info that this mark is found on Rabeneick bicycles?

And on the dropouts I found the
agrati mark. So the bike has french lugs, Italian dropouts, and a german fork???
Old 03-11-20, 04:25 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Based on what I've found out so far, here's my theory:

During the late seventies racing bikes were becoming popular in Holland. I think Peter Post's Raleigh team successes had a lot to do with that.

So, shops needed decent quality bikes in increasing numbers but most didn't have the capabilities to build the frames themselves. One solution was to become a distributor for one of the major brands, like Raleigh, Peugeot or Mercier. Another was to buy frames made elsewhere and brand them as your own. Wout Verhoeven, who - being the Dutch Campagnolo distributor - knew most of the shops, was aware of the demand and apparently also had a link to some Belgian frame builders who could produce large enough quantities. Through Verhoeven lots of "blank frames" were imported from Belgium, and sold via Dutch bike shops.

Piet Slikker told me that my frame - which I believe came from Martens in Zwevezele - was acquired through Verhoeven. I've also spoken to Verhoeven a few years ago, and he confirmed that he supplied lots of "no name" frames to many of his customers. The ones he actually named were Vittorio and De Reus (both operating in the same area as Slikker and Spreij, BTW). These two used the Belgian frames for their second tier offerings, bikes that would be good enough to carry their famous names, but could be sold at a significantly lower price than their own builds. I've also been in touch with the current owners of De Reus and Vittorio, and both confirmed that their shops had sold "Belgian factory frames" in the past.

I own a few of these products and I like them. They actually prompted me to start a thread a while back: show us your Belgian bikes!

Old 03-11-20, 04:30 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Ah! Libellula tubing. Nice! I seem to remember a couple of threads on that brand.

Old 03-11-20, 04:53 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Old 03-11-20, 05:07 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Well, the Libellula tubing does seem to indicate a German or Italian frame, rather than Dutch or Belgian. Perhaps martl could have a look? It seems that the catalog page I found on the web and posted above came from his archives anyway.

Old 03-11-20, 06:39 PM
juvela

-----

when you spoke with the original owner did you inquire as to whether he retained any of the original fittings which were replaced in the course of the rebuild?

---

should you have occasion to repack headset additional information may be gained from steerer.

-----

Last edited by juvela; 03-11-20 at 09:20 PM. Reason: addition
Old 03-12-20, 02:21 AM
Locomotief

-----

when you spoke with the original owner did you inquire as to whether he retained any of the original fittings which were replaced in the course of the rebuild?

---

should you have occasion to repack headset additional information may be gained from steerer.

-----
i just noticed these markings on the headset.
"Light race"

I found this on velobase:

Is this the information your looking for?
Old 03-12-20, 02:32 AM
Locomotief

and there's this number on the seat tube.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.