Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Vilano Urbana Single Speed Folding Bike

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Vilano Urbana Single Speed Folding Bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-20, 07:51 PM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
Update, I put very few miles on this bike maybe 200 miles.

Burnt out another hub. Was doing a ride around the block.

These are not dependable hubs.

Can't depend on this hub.

Rims and spokes seem nice and solid. I wonder if I can retrofit a Shimano CB-110e internals I see on ebay for $20.
Old 04-11-20, 08:30 AM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

All,

I never planned to put a hand brake on this bike as I only intended it to be a 'vacation' flatland bike. But where I live is mildly hilly and I been grabbing it to do a ride around around the neighborhood for exercise. The downhills fried the last cheap CB that came with it.

So, I went through my big plastic pretzel jars of crap and came up with rim brakes. All are used parts and didn't need to cut cable or housing, thank you lord.

When this freaking insane wind dies down I'll give it a field test.

That's Costanza from the "Human Fund" on the frig

The pads are probably 50 years old, didn't have any new ones.
Likes For mirfi:
Old 04-11-20, 12:37 PM
bulusoy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you for the review. Looking forward to receiving updates after your field tests. Looks like a strong one.
Old 04-11-20, 05:11 PM
mirfi

C'mon Man!!!!!

The front O.L.D. is 91mm. WTF!!! A brand new adult bike without a 100mm fork. It's like a universal standard. Did they save 5 cents a fork to put this junk on?

I've cannibalized some nice front wheels from scrapped and trashed BMX bikes over the years. I put a better CB rear wheel on and thought I'd put a nicer wheel on the front.

Picked out a nice wheel, cleaned it up, new rim tape, new tube, 75 PSI tire(glad I bought that Kool-Stop tire bead tool).

Went to put the wheel on. **********??

You know I could go to Walmart and buy a $58 Huffy kids bike and it would have better components than the Urbana.

Done talking for now. SMH.
Likes For mirfi:
Old 04-14-20, 09:21 AM
mirfi

Also looking at replacing stem/handlebars with a 25.4 quill stem and high rise handlebars. Now to look around and see if I have any laying about.
Old 04-18-20, 10:37 AM
mirfi

What I have on the back now is a thirty year old somewhat cleaned up chrome coaster brake wheel that I found in the back of the shed. Spent an afternoon with a wet sanding sponge, spray painted it the next day. Sorry, no pictures of cleaned/painted wheel. It received a new 75psi tire/tube. Rides great.

Here's the hub. Saving the KT HiStop for when this one dies.

And wouldn't you know it I found the matching front wheel. It's 91mm and even has matching plastic stars and reflector. So I spent another few hours cleaning it up. Didn't paint it because it's gonna have rim brakes against it.

Decided to re-pack the hub. Spent my time, very therapeutic.

Hub repacked, spins so nice. Can't wait to test ride.

So I pull out a Kenda Kwest 1.50 100PSI tire and a new Kenda 1.50-1.75 tube. And pumped that thing up. Was actually excited, but it was raining and knew I'd have to wait a day.

I put it at the bottom of the steps, it looked so strong, so 'ready to go' and I was proud.

Like fist pump proud. Yeah!

I was in the bathroom washing up when it blew. Sounded like a gun, I'm sure my feet left the ground. Wife even heard it on the second floor.

It kinda bent the rim in twp places.

Oh well.

At least it happened here and not on the road.
Old 03-05-22, 07:48 PM
mirfi

All,

I been posting photos to "Folders in the Wild" and neglecting this threads, so lemme do some updates.

Assateague, VA. Wild ponies in background but are really tiny.

DC, Washington Monument in background

Fells Point Baltimore
Likes For mirfi: