Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

New Moulton Century NS

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

New Moulton Century NS

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-20, 06:03 AM
dezzie

Bikes: Xootr swift, Moulton Speed, Moulton Major.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
New Moulton Century NS

For those with deep pockets but love all things Moulton, they have released this new model on what would have been Alex Moultons 100th birthday, no idea on price yet but it will be up their with the most expensive models but still nice to look at and admire.
https://www.moultonbicycles.co.uk/models/NSCENTURY.html
Old 04-12-20, 12:26 PM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Basically, its a New Series Marathon but with 17"/ETRTO369 wheels instead of 20"/ETRTO406 wheels and not in stainless steel. So, it should be cheaper than the NS Marathon.

With this size of wheels for which there are almost no tires available, its a pure collector bike.

Likes For Jipe:
Old 04-14-20, 03:35 AM
Falconista

Bikes: 1986 Falcon Laser, 2004 Dahon, 2018 Moulton TSR

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I like the lines of the front suspension. Anyone have a experience of how it compares to the leading link system in the Moulton TSR?
Old 04-20-20, 12:39 AM
Cbird

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The flexitor front suspension does feel different than the leading link. The main differences I’ve noticed is that the flexitor provides a much less boingy or bouncy ride, soaks up road buzz better, but provides less cushioning from big jolts. The leading link has the advantage of being adjustable. New Series Moultons feel different from other Moultons in that they have more of a taut feel.
Old 04-27-20, 12:26 PM
Falconista

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Cbird
The flexitor front suspension does feel different than the leading link. The main differences I’ve noticed is that the flexitor provides a much less boingy or bouncy ride, soaks up road buzz better, but provides less cushioning from big jolts. The leading link has the advantage of being adjustable. New Series Moultons feel different from other Moultons in that they have more of a taut feel.
That's all very well, but now I have to try one! Not sure that I can justify it though, especially in this climate.
Old 04-27-20, 10:11 PM
termv

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mmh

I usually do not interfere with carnoisseurs, however, when a simple bottle cage for such a bicycle costs like $80, then this is a tad out of control.

Really, a bottle cage for $80, that is a bit much.

Old 04-28-20, 02:40 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Any bottle cage fits on a Moulton. Spacing is standard.
Old 04-28-20, 05:03 AM
Falconista

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
$80 is quite a lot for a bottle cage, and I don't think I will be queuing up to buy many. There seem to be plenty available at that price, or even more, made of different materials and shapes, designs, logos etc. Also plenty of cheapos.

I did a bit of research, and I guess that you were referring to the one made by Nitto with Moulton branding. It is made by hand in Japan from high quality hollow stainless tube, presumably in very low volumes. I can see why it might cost a lot to produce, but the question of value is something different. We are all a bit irrational when it comes to spending our hard-earned cash on something that gives us pleasure or we think offers value because it is a bit special. How about $5,000 for a bespoke bike frame, or $50,000 for a bespoke Swiss watch that does less than a casio. Now I think about it I might get that bottle cage as it looks a bargain!
Old 04-28-20, 07:19 AM
drzdave58

Bikes: Ruff custom build..Electra mulholland 3i..vanmoof S3..1947rollfast...felt happy hour..focus planet..Dahon curve d3 41 Schwinn custom..Moulton tsr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
I recently purchased a Moulton tsr a8. I am very pleased with how the front suspension smooths out the bumpy roads where I live. That’s one one of the main reasons I wanted the bike, plus of course the amazing space frame design. The bike is amazing to ride too. I did my usual upgrades like I do on most bikes I buy. I spent extra money on new saddle, pedals, and grips. I need a bottle cage but won’t be spending $80 for one. I won’t be buying any expensive Moulton carriers as I have an axiom stem mounted rack with alban bags that work fine. I

wanted fenders for mine so decided to make my own from wood and copper pipe which cost me like $20.