Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Kryptonite Lock Stolen

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Kryptonite Lock Stolen

Old 05-05-20, 12:37 PM
Steve1972

Bikes: Dahon Ios D9, Dahon Speed D7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Kryptonite Lock Stolen

Hello everyone, I am Steve from Brooklyn New York, I just joined.

You are not going to believe what they have stollen from me: I left my kryptonite "new york fahgettaboudit" chain and lock on a bike-stand locked for about a month. (I was sick and the wether was bad for biking..) Yesterday I went back to check it, planning to start using my bike today and the lock was gone! I still can believe it! Who would still a lock and chain, how, and for what purpose? To sell it for the metal? To sell only the chain? To use it himself without having the key? At least I still have the bike but after that I doubt I am going to lock it outside ever again. (They stole a bike from me many years ago when I was new in New York and I was using a conventional chain and lock from a hardware store.) Thanks for reading, be safe everyone.
Old 05-05-20, 12:51 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
So you left a bike lock on a stand for a month and didn’t think it was going to be removed? The Parks Department probably removed it as litter.
Likes For Bassmanbob:
Old 05-05-20, 12:52 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
I used to work somewhere where people would leave dozens of locks everywhere and it was a giant eyesore so eventually we started to cut them off after the end of the month. That is probably what happened, they probably assumed you abandoned it.
Old 05-05-20, 01:03 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve1972
Hello everyone, I am Steve from Brooklyn New York, I just joined.

You are not going to believe what they have stollen from me: I left my kryptonite "new york fahgettaboudit" chain and lock on a bike-stand locked for about a month. (I was sick and the wether was bad for biking..) Yesterday I went back to check it, planning to start using my bike today and the lock was gone! I still can believe it! Who would still a lock and chain, how, and for what purpose? To sell it for the metal? To sell only the chain? To use it himself without having the key? At least I still have the bike but after that I doubt I am going to lock it outside ever again. (They stole a bike from me many years ago when I was new in New York and I was using a conventional chain and lock from a hardware store.) Thanks for reading, be safe everyone.
Theft is almost certainly the least likely explanation because removing it would have destroyed its value. Someone cut it off just to remove it, most likely.

Sounds like you're feeling better, that's good.
Old 05-05-20, 01:04 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
In Brooklyn I'm surprised they didn't steal the bike stand too

Old 05-05-20, 01:19 PM
Steve1972

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Actually, this is a very busy spot, right outside NYU hospital 1st ave Manhattan, where a lot of people leave their locks too. Also I left it along with it 2 more “U shape” locks that I used to lock each weal for extra protection. The U locks are still there. I was wondering how come they didn’t cut those. Unless the bulky kryptonite was easily recognized as being there constantly and the U locks were not noticed because many more of them are left there for a while every day. By the way kryptonite was brand new and costed me $140 plus tax... thank you all for your replies.
Old 05-05-20, 03:20 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 328 Posts
Not impossible it was picked, but seems incredible since the lock has no value without the key.

Inside job?

Perhaps the chain itself has enough value so it might have been cut off for that.
Old 05-05-20, 07:03 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
If it looked like it was a stollen maybe somebody ate it.
Old 05-05-20, 07:37 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Actually, this is a very busy spot, right outside NYU hospital 1st ave Manhattan, where a lot of people leave their locks too. Also I left it along with it 2 more “U shape” locks that I used to lock each weal for extra protection. The U locks are still there. I was wondering how come they didn’t cut those. Unless the bulky kryptonite was easily recognized as being there constantly and the U locks were not noticed because many more of them are left there for a while every day. By the way kryptonite was brand new and costed me $140 plus tax... thank you all for your replies.
Sorry you lost your expensive lock, but I am curious why you leave it there. I assume you work there but don't you ever take the bike elsewhere and need to lock it?
Old 05-05-20, 08:12 PM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Don’t be silly. Who would eat weals.
Old 05-05-20, 08:44 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder
Sorry you lost your expensive lock, but I am curious why you leave it there. I assume you work there but don't you ever take the bike elsewhere and need to lock it?
I leave my U lock at work on the bike rack since it is heavy.
For recreational riding I have cheaper and lighter locks since there I just go to a bathroom or so for a minute.
Likes For HerrKaLeun:
Old 05-06-20, 07:23 PM
Steve1972

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I always leave leave my lock at work on the bike rack because it is pretty heavy. Everywhere else I am going, I am not leaving the bike alone. Never. I have learned this the hard (and costly) way. It is either home, on the rode, or in my car (it is a folding bike.) All scenarios made sense except the one regarding eating because I didn't find any teeth remnants on the floor lol! Thank you so much for your consideration and answers everyone!
Likes For Steve1972:
Old 05-07-20, 11:39 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
I always leave leave my lock at work on the bike rack because it is pretty heavy. Everywhere else I am going, I am not leaving the bike alone. Never. I have learned this the hard (and costly) way. It is either home, on the rode, or in my car (it is a folding bike.) All scenarios made sense except the one regarding eating because I didn't find any teeth remnants on the floor lol! Thank you so much for your consideration and answers everyone!
Yeah, locking a Dahon outside seems like it defeats the purpose of riding a Dahon.
Happy riding!

Thanks for the Mystery of the Stolen Lock.
Old 05-07-20, 11:44 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I have enough trouble opening that lock with a key.

I complained to Kryptonite and they sent me a second one, free of charge.

Now I have two that I am afraid to use, for fear of never being able to get it off my bike.

(I've used an eyeglass screwdriver to align the barrel components when all else failed.)
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 05-07-20, 01:15 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I dunno, I've always viewed public pastry as sort of suspicious - like someone has set a trap for those with sweet-tooths.