Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

When making a left turn on a green arrow, do you line up or move to the front?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

When making a left turn on a green arrow, do you line up or move to the front?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-20, 11:00 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I always line up
Old 08-20-20, 11:16 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Option: go to right* side of right lane of cross street, turn yourself facing the direction that lane is going,

So w hen the light turns green, you go with that direction..

*or left in Japan UK , Ireland , Australia, NZ, etc
Old 08-20-20, 03:26 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
I often split lane in my bicycle. And yes, I sprint like crazy, standing on the pedals on medium gears when the light turns green to get ahead of the traffic. I can get ahead of the traffic most of the time until reaching 20 mph. So before I hit 20 mph, I should have moved to the right-most lane.
... you know they’re letting you win, right?
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 08-20-20, 03:42 PM
Elbeinlaw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
Chinghis: In Atlanta, if you "cheat a little bit" at a light, you are guaranteed to be flattened by someone running the light. Even in my truck, if I'm the first one at a lighted intersection, when my light turns green, I always pause long enough to look right and left, because at every single light, at every time of the day and night, there's at least one car coming from at least one direction that will run the RED. The RED! Not the yellow! And in Midtown, it will be cars, pedestrians, scooters, cyclists … So I no longer cheat unless I can see in all directions and there's absolutely nobody else around.
Old 08-20-20, 03:49 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Elbeinlaw
Chinghis: In Atlanta, if you "cheat a little bit" at a light, you are guaranteed to be flattened by someone running the light. Even in my truck, if I'm the first one at a lighted intersection, when my light turns green, I always pause long enough to look right and left, because at every single light, at every time of the day and night, there's at least one car coming from at least one direction that will run the RED. The RED! Not the yellow! And in Midtown, it will be cars, pedestrians, scooters, cyclists … So I no longer cheat unless I can see in all directions and there's absolutely nobody else around.
Hah, I'm constantly yelling at people in my car as I slow for a yellow light turned red, and some jerk blows through from 50 yards behind me.

That's why I stressed visibility.
Old 08-20-20, 09:17 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

I also pass the cars in other lanes up in the front. I'm only 126 lbs in weight! I sprint from stand still like attacking a climb at mid gears
Roughly, you + bike = 150 lb/hp, or 13 hp/ton. An average car has about 100 hp/ton. Sprint if you like.
Old 08-20-20, 10:46 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I tend to "take the lane" when turning left at a light. Drivers know there's only one reason for a cyclist to be in that lane, so it's the most predictable. It doesn't take me all that long to get out of the way, especially if there's a bike lane on the street that I'm turning onto. But it's always situation dependent, and every intersection is its own beast.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 08-21-20, 09:30 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
... you know they’re letting you win, right?
You know that they're looking at their phones and not paying attention to the light change, right?
Old 08-21-20, 10:10 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by caloso
You know that they're looking at their phones and not paying attention to the light change, right?
Word to that
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 08-21-20, 03:11 PM
Helldorado

Bikes: Cervelo Aspero Apex1x 2020; Giant Escape Disc modified commuter 2021

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 44 Posts
I get in line with the other cars or mover to the front on the right side if there's enough room. Depends on my mood. Either way, most car drivers are oblivious - checking their Twitter feed or yakking away on their phones.
Old 08-21-20, 04:27 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Who launches their car at the green light at 100% of the maximum rated engine power all the time?
The worst case I've seen is somebody is in the left turn lane but has decided that they actually plan on going straight through, so they gun it when the light changes to get ahead of the other cars. I've seen it often enough for it to be a "thing" to watch out for, like the possibility of a right hook.
Old 08-21-20, 07:49 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Whatever feels safer. M*sshole
Old 08-21-20, 09:00 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
I've done both, but more often move to the right of the front car now. I used to line up, but if I'm more than four or five cars back, I can't go fast enough to keep up with the drivers. Then cars behind me are racing to go around me to make the light, and that scares the hell out of me. So now I line up to the right of the front car and make the widest left turn. It looks like I'm cheating, but I've found it to be much safer. I'll also get the driver's attention, like what Papa Tom said, and left them know what I'm doing.

Sometimes, if I'm the first or second vehicle, I'll line up and make the wide turn as soon as possible. The third or fourth vehicle that is immediately behind me is not worried about making the light and is less likely to try to shoot around me.
Likes For Bassmanbob:
Old 08-23-20, 09:49 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
Going to the front of the line, and then making the widest left turn you can, is documented to be the safest way to make a left turn from the light. Don't wait in the line. The cagers coming up from behind are focused on the license plate and tail lights of the car in front of you. They literally will not, indeed cannot, see you and your bike in between. You're outside of their depth of field, so you're out of focus... and blurry, unexpected objects that aren't being actively looked at get edited out by the brain's image processing software. Almost nobody ever gets hit on purpose, which means that "getting in the way of the cars" is by far the safest thing you can do in almost every traffic situation. If they honk and flip you the bird, you know that they saw you.

--Shannon
I disagree. First, where is it “documented”? Please provide the documentation. I’ve been in the bicycling game for a very long time and try to keep informed but I’ve never seen anyone suggest filtering forward on a left turn. From a road user standpoint, filtering forward on a left turn puts the cyclists in a very dangerous situation. They are between lanes of moving cars and, when the turn starts, they are in a place where the driver doesn’t expect them.

As to what motorists are focused on, it would take a particularly inattentive (close to brain dead) motorist to not notice a bicycle in front of them on a left turn...especially if the left turn is at a light. Motorists are not just “focused on the license plate and tail lights of the car in front of [them]” at a light to the point where they won’t see a bicycle in front of them. At a light controlled intersection, there is usually sufficient time for the motorist to look at other things than just the “license plate and tail light” of other cars.

I agree that bicyclist should “get... in the way of the cars" but the best way to do that is to be right behind the last car in line. Being next to the first car in line is not “in the way”. It’s about as far out of the “way” as possible. If a cyclist is between the “license plate and tail lights of the car in front of [them]”, the chances of being seen are far greater than if the cyclist is out of the driver’s line of sight.

Originally Posted by burritos
Is there a good reason to split lane and move to the front? We don't get anywhere any faster. It's not safer, is it? I did it cause I was mimicking other bikers. But now that lining up is an option, I feel better this move.
On a left turn, no. Don’t put yourself in a situation where the drivers can’t see you or don’t expect to see you. As I stated above, it takes a particularly brain dead driver not to see a cyclist right in front of them on a left turn at a light. Stay in line behind the last car and go when the light turns green. Turn wide to clear the lane but don’t go near the car in front of you just in case they are turning wide as well.

Frankly, I don’t filter when going straight. If a line of cars has passed me, I don’t want to give them the chance to pass me again. I can also control the flow of traffic behind when the light turns green so that I can clear the intersection before moving off the the right. And, since I don’t filter, I don’t have to worry about motorists turning right in front of me if the light turns green.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-23-20, 10:20 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I do whatever I feel is the safest thing to do, and I don't let other people dictate to me how I should ride in traffic...OPs question is impossible to answer because there are too many variables out in the real world...My advice is to develop your own riding style and forget what others are doing.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 08-23-20, 04:29 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
It's been demonstrated that being behind a stopped car is quite dangerous. Target focus is the primary reason... you're not the target, the car in front of you is, so instead of getting seen you get sandwiched. Source was MSF. Applies even more so to bicyclists, cuz we're even smaller, so even more likely to get edited out of view by target focus.

It's also one of the worst ways to get hit, in terms of injury.

Yeah, it annoys drivers cuz it's unfair. S'ok. My life is more important to me than the momentary feelings of strangers.

--Shannon
Old 08-23-20, 05:46 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by ShannonM
It's been demonstrated that being behind a stopped car is quite dangerous. Target focus is the primary reason... you're not the target, the car in front of you is, so instead of getting seen you get sandwiched. Source was MSF. Applies even more so to bicyclists, cuz we're even smaller, so even more likely to get edited out of view by target focus.

It's also one of the worst ways to get hit, in terms of injury.

Yeah, it annoys drivers cuz it's unfair. S'ok. My life is more important to me than the momentary feelings of strangers.

--Shannon
Demonstrated where? How about more than just “source was MSF”...assuming that MSF is the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. I can’t find any reference in numerous papers they have posted about “target awareness” or, for that matter, “left turn”. How about a specific study?

If “target awareness” is so important that a motorist misses a bicycle (or motorcycle) sitting in front of them at a light, how aware of the target do you think a motorist is going to be if the cyclist is out of their line of sight and in a place where they don’t expect another vehicle to be? Motorcycles aren’t encouraged to go around motorist at green arrows to avoid being between two automobiles. That makes no sense from a traffic point of view.

Finally, while some individuals may be as focused on the car in front of them as you say, I doubt it is a large proportion of drivers. Anyone that focused is going to cause lots and lots of accidents and won’t be driving.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-24-20, 10:39 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Roughly 5% of motorcycle accidents are from the motorcycle being rear-ended while stopped:
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...ses-30330.html

I couldn't find accurate statistics on bicycles that line up in traffic.

Like I said above, sometimes I line up, sometimes I wait in line. It just depends on the situation, and I have been riding bicycles and motorcycles long enough that I have a pretty good judgement about these things. There is no single right answer to any situation. I've even illegally split up between cars on my motorcycle to avoid being rear ended once. The car managed to stop before hitting the car, but would have sandwiched me had I not moved.
Old 08-24-20, 11:28 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
Roughly 5% of motorcycle accidents are from the motorcycle being rear-ended while stopped:
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...ses-30330.html
You are reading that wrong. It’s 5% of motorcycle accidents accidents are from motorcycles being rear-ended. It says nothing about “while stopped”

I couldn't find accurate statistics on bicycles that line up in traffic.
This study has some breakdown but they list overtaking crashes with head-on and right hooks with the total being 13% of crashes between bicycle and vehicles. I’ve seen other statistics that say that highest percentage of motorcycle and bicycle accidents (about 42% of all accidents for both) are from left turns. However, that is a left turn of a vehicle across the motorcycle and bicycle line of travel, not from both getting rear ended at a stoplight. A fair amount of bicycle/car accidents resulting from overtaking accidents (of that 13% above) is due to lane changes by the cyclist.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-25-20, 09:28 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Option: go to right* side of right lane of cross street, turn yourself facing the direction that lane is going,

So w hen the light turns green, you go with that direction..

*or left in Japan UK , Ireland , Australia, NZ, etc
Yep. If there's any traffic that I'm nervous about this is how I do it. Às a bonus it automatically puts me at the front of the line.
Old 08-28-20, 06:39 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
I line up at left turn lanes. And in response to ShannonM ’s claim that a following motorist won’t see me, well, that seems implausible given the rather bright red flashing light that is always on the back of my bike. And like cyccommute , I prefer evidence over unsupported claims.