Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hydration Backpacks for Roadies?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Hydration Backpacks for Roadies?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-20, 12:27 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
- 2 large water bottles in regular spots.
- add a wolf tooth b-rad to the downtube for a 3rd bottle.
- carry a 4th bottle in a jersey.

If you use a large wedge bag, you could fit 2 in there, or use the tri-style saddle holders for 5th and 6th bottles.

4 bottles is 80oz of water. If you can't come across a water refill in 80oz of water's time in WI, you are actively trying to avoid water spots.
But add those 2 more and now you have 120oz which is a crazy amount.

the last thing I want when riding is a backpack. Insweat enough as it is.
good luck on route planning.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-13-20, 04:39 PM
Cue
Banned.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
Yup.. understood. That and roadies are on average a very traditional and peculiar bunch that don't like change. Wearing a backpack instead of carrying two water bottles is change. We don't like change.

I think you're right. One big limitation I see to the Camelbak Racebak is that my jersey's don't like have enough extra room in the chest area to accommodate the hump. I have a feeling like the jersey would fit uber-tight in the chest area when the bag is full. However, I do like the idea that the bag is integrated into the base layer so that there aren't any straps. I have 2 CamelBaks for summer and winter hiking and find the straps uncomfortable and annoying.

​​​​​​I understand where you're coming from. Running hydration vest is 95% there, they
​​​​have solved the strap issue by using stretchy breathable fabric instead.
Old 08-13-20, 06:17 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 186 Posts
I thought of a little experiment I should try with stuff I already have. I have the CamelBak Bootlegger backpack which is an insulated pack I use for winter hiking to keep my water from freezing and it's pretty minimal as far as CamelBaks go. My experiment would be to use this pack for the opposite it was intended for.. put chilled water in it and go for a hot weather ride to see if:
  1. It keeps my back a little cool
  2. Keeps my water cold a little while longer
#1 would be a bonus but If it did #2 well, that might actually be refreshing instead of drinking a bottle of warm, plastic-tasting water like I usually end-up with.
Old 08-13-20, 09:18 PM
Jbhardy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out Osprey Raptor. It's cycling specific and works great for me.
Old 08-14-20, 05:55 AM
PoorInRichfield

This military pack from CamelBak is what I envision a roadie pack would look like... very minimal and light. Heck, just take the two hand straps off this bag and it's perfect!

Old 08-14-20, 08:51 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Jbhardy
Check out Osprey Raptor. It's cycling specific and works great for me.
Injust got the Raptor 14 for mountain biking. Wow, the fit and stability are amazing compared to my ancient Camelbak Mule and HAWG.

Seems pretty big for what the OP is looking for, though. Is the 10 noticeably smaller?
Old 08-14-20, 09:14 AM
Jbhardy

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Unknown about the 10. I have the 14 as well.
Old 08-14-20, 02:18 PM
Cowboy905
total Newbie

Bikes: 2009 Look 566 Ultegra

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
how heavy is that 10 and 14? i have a 1.5 and i don't think i'd want to wear anything heavier.
Old 08-14-20, 02:25 PM
Cowboy905
total Newbie

Bikes: 2009 Look 566 Ultegra

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
nevermind, i just read it, comes with a 2.5l udder. I interpreted it as a 14L reservoir tank!
Old 08-14-20, 02:30 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I thought of a little experiment I should try with stuff I already have. I have the CamelBak Bootlegger backpack which is an insulated pack I use for winter hiking to keep my water from freezing and it's pretty minimal as far as CamelBaks go. My experiment would be to use this pack for the opposite it was intended for.. put chilled water in it and go for a hot weather ride to see if:
#1 would be a bonus but If it did #2 well, that might actually be refreshing instead of drinking a bottle of warm, plastic-tasting water like I usually end-up with.
I think you'll find it'll do both. Not chilled water. Fill it about 3/4 full of ice cubes, then add cool water.
Old 08-14-20, 03:40 PM
trainsktg

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
A Zefal Magnum water bottle is 32oz and the same size as an insulated 24oz bottle.

i do ride with a minimal sized Camelback but only on my gravel bike.

Keith
Likes For trainsktg:
Old 08-14-20, 09:31 PM
PoorInRichfield

Originally Posted by trainsktg
A Zefal Magnum water bottle is 32oz and the same size as an insulated 24oz bottle.
I did not know about these... interesting.

However, you now have me thinking about the movie "Zoolander"...

Old 08-15-20, 02:19 AM
2bridges1bike

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Top tube bag

I use a top tube frame bag with a 2l platypus hoser reservoir, replaced the hose with a cap. Can’t drink from it while riding but I do use it to top off my bottles as needed.

Last edited by 2bridges1bike; 08-15-20 at 06:15 AM.
Old 08-18-20, 08:35 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
I thought about making my own camelback, if I couod figure out how.
Old 08-19-20, 07:02 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
I use an Osprey Raptor 10 for mountain biking(2.5L capacity). It won't keep your back cool, but It's nice to have 3+ hours of cold drinking water.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 08-19-20, 07:39 AM
PoorInRichfield

I did a little experimenting the past week while hydration... I didn't discover anything earth-shattering that all of you wouldn't already know, but just for the sake of logging my experience...

1. 60+ mile ride using two 24oz water bottles

While I did just fine on this ride with only 48oz of water, it probably wasn't a good idea to drink so little water. It was in the low 80's (F), so not sweltering heat. Since I had planned out the route in advance, I knew where the half-way point was and made sure that I had only consumed one bottle of water by that point. On my way home, I finished off the second bottle when I knew I was within 5 miles of my house, so I only went a few miles with no water at all. When I got home, I had lost considerable water weight which I discovered when I stepped on the scale before getting in the shower. I drank a gazillion cups of water when I got home as I was pretty darn thirsty. This confirms, at least for me, that 48oz of water is only enough for 40 to 50 miles of riding, assuming it's not overly hot out.

2. 40 mile ride using CamelBak

This ride was in the 70's (F) and I rode with my insulated CamelBak (50oz capacity) just to see how annoying it would be to wear it. Quite frankly, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. At first, the CamelBak was all I could think about... it felt like my cat was napping on my back I eventually forgot about it as my mind drifted off onto other things. The water does "slosh around" a bit but that is very tolerable. The weight of the backpack and the straps didn't bother me as much as I thought, probably because one's back is mostly in a near horizontal position while riding. The water inside the backpack did indeed get quite warm, so I'll have to remember to put the water in the fridge prior to using it. One of the biggest challenges was that I'm so used to drinking from bottles that I keep reaching for my bottles almost automatically instead of drinking from the CamelBak.

I plan on doing another 60+ mile ride this weekend and I'm going to try using the CamelBak along with my two 24oz bottles. While I'm not sure if this is the perfect solution for increasing my range, it's the cheapest and doesn't involve me having to mount any extra cages on my bike that I only need on occasion. I'll admit that I wish my CamelBak had some pockets. As long as I'm going to have an annoying bag on my back, I might as well use that annoying bag to hold my phone, energy bars, and any other goodies I might need to bring on a longer ride that I normally wouldn't carry.
Old 08-19-20, 07:44 AM
PoorInRichfield

Originally Posted by noodle soup
I use an Osprey Raptor 10 for mountain biking(2.5L capacity). It won't keep your back cool, but It's nice to have 3+ hours of cold drinking water.
Looking at the Raptor 10, I like this side pocket feature. In addition to making it easier to access energy bars, I could envision this as being a way to get at my phone much faster so I could take pictures of things w/o so much fumbling around...

Old 08-19-20, 08:03 AM
BluFalconActual

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
I know it's one of the "rules", but I bought a Camelbak Chase vest for gravel riding. I also ended up using it for summer rides in Joshua Tree National Park when I was stationed there as well as the Mojave Death Race. 2 water bottles usually was just barely enough in between the two entrances to the park where the only water stations are at, but I carried the vest as an insurance policy. The vest is very well designed and I don't even notice it while riding.

https://www.camelbak.com/en/vests/R0...d790590affbe17
Old 08-19-20, 08:58 AM
noodle soup

Looking at the Raptor 10, I like this side pocket feature. In addition to making it easier to access energy bars, I could envision this as being a way to get at my phone much faster so I could take pictures of things w/o so much fumbling around...

I’m very impressed with the quality of the pack. The bladder has a couple of baffles inside so that it stays flat when filled, and the mouthpiece has great flow.
Old 08-22-20, 04:19 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I have the Raptor 14, and I can't fit an iPhone 6 (which is on the small side) with a case in the side pockets. If I take the phone out of the case, it sort of fits, with just a corner sticking out... not sure if I want to ride around like that, though.

After using this pack a few times (for mountain biking), I find it very well designed, fits great while riding, and is well and thought out... with two exceptions:

1- the magnetic hose holder is a bit gimmicky, and ultimately not useful, IMO. As easy as it is to hook up, it is still more than I want to deal with when riding. Better to just cut the hose 4" or so shorter and use a 90 degree bend bite valve like on the Camelbak. Just let the shorter hose hang.

2- No place convenient to hold the phone. The issue I have is not just that there is no easy access to it (unless you have a very small phone that fits in the side pockets), but the way the belt and shoulder straps are constructed, it is not easy to add a phone holder. My old Camelbak has a thick belt, and I was able to add a camera pouch that fit my phone perfectly. This might not be a big deal on my road bike, as I use a phone holder on the bars, anyway... but a moot point since I don't use the backpack for road rides.
Old 08-22-20, 06:53 PM
PoorInRichfield

Originally Posted by Kapusta
I have the Raptor 14, and I can't fit an iPhone 6 (which is on the small side) with a case in the side pockets..
Thanks for the feedback, @Kapusta. In looking at multiple hydration packs that have side pockets, you're definitely right that the pockets aren't large enough to be useful... at least not for what I want to use them for. In revisiting the CamelBak web site, the Chase 8 vest is really growing on me... 70ml, relatively simple, and front pockets large enough to carry a phone and snacks. I'm just getting a little annoyed with myself as I already have 3 CamelBak vests and now thinking about a 4th (They all seem to serve a special purpose, or so I think!)

Old 08-23-20, 06:58 PM
noodle soup

That pack looks like it would be hot on the chest
Old 08-23-20, 07:48 PM
Rhondito

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced Revolt 2; 2019 Cannondale Synapse; 2017 Cannondale Habit Lefty; 2010 Blue RD1 (retired)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
This one integrates the hydration pack right into the jersey plus it still has pockets!
https://www.bicyclebuys.com/camelbak...ak/0101211PART
Old 08-23-20, 11:15 PM
SCTinkering

Bikes: 2020 T-Lab X-3 w/GRX Di2, 2018 Trek FX-5S with GRX/Xt 1x drive train

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
I've never used the waist belt on my MULE when road riding. If I didn't have it, I'd probably go with a Rouge. Problem with the old MULE is that they don't make straight 3l bladders for them anymore, so I have to get a different brand and hope it fits.

I did a combo road and gravel ride last weekend and completely drained 3l plus a large bottle. fortunately I was about 4 miles from home and fully hydrated, so it wasn't a big deal. You really need to learn the part about having that much fluid with you and drink very frequently. I couldn't imagine riding with only two water bottles now.
Old 08-24-20, 10:29 AM
drewtk

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by HeyPapa
I have the same problem and curious to see what others suggest. The heat which will be trapped between my back and the pack has given me pause. I am considering a compact frame pack with a bladder.
Here's what I use for gravel and mountain biking. 2.5L bladder AND it has a mesh air pocket between the pack and your back. I don't see many bike type backpacks with that feature.

https://www.rei.com/product/143336/o...mens-25-liters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.