Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Miche Cog Carrier Width

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Miche Cog Carrier Width

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-20, 04:05 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3359 Post(s)
Liked 3,637 Times in 1,243 Posts
Miche Cog Carrier Width

Does anyone know the width of the Miche cog carrier system without the lockring?

I've got an old French hub I'm thinking of putting this on, but I've only got between 5-6mm of width to work with before the lockring threads start.

Thanks!
Old 08-29-20, 05:46 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Does anyone know the width of the Miche cog carrier system without the lockring?

I've got an old French hub I'm thinking of putting this on, but I've only got between 5-6mm of width to work with before the lockring threads start.

Thanks!
I'm too lazy to remove my wheel to get a precise measurement, but just eyeballing it with a caliper I'd say it's at most 8mm wide. But, my question to you is does your hub have French threading, and if so can you find a French threaded Miche cog carrier ?

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 08-29-20, 06:29 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
I'm too lazy to remove my wheel to get a precise measurement, but just eyeballing it with a caliper I'd say it's at most 8mm wide. But, my question to you is does your hub have French threading, and if so can you find a French threaded Miche cog carrier ?
Ah that's a bummer being that wide. Thanks for checking.

It's a normal track hub with normal threading, just was designed for vintage cogs. There's not enough threads on the lockring threads using a modern cog to trust, so I was hoping maybe the Miche system was thinner than a modern track cog so I could get some more purchase on the lockring.
Old 08-29-20, 06:44 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Ah that's a bummer being that wide. Thanks for checking.

It's a normal track hub with normal threading, just was designed for vintage cogs. There's not enough threads on the lockring threads using a modern cog to trust, so I was hoping maybe the Miche system was thinner than a modern track cog so I could get some more purchase on the lockring.
Yeah, basically the carrier with a splined sprocket installed is the same width as a modern high quality track cog. The sprocket has to overhang the carrier slightly, so that the lockring can secure it tightly. You could probably grind the carrier down a bit to provide more space for the lockring.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 08-29-20 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-29-20, 06:56 PM
abshipp 

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Yeah, basically the carrier with a splined sprocket installed is the same width as a modern high quality track cog. The sprocket has to overhang the carrier slightly, so that the lockring can secure it tightly. You could probably grind the carrier down a bit to provide more space for the lockring.
Gotcha. Thanks so much!