Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

SS Specific Frame or Converted Road Frame with Tensioner?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

SS Specific Frame or Converted Road Frame with Tensioner?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-20, 08:01 PM
Nixhex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
I didnt even know that an eccentric rear hub even existed....
Old 08-27-20, 08:15 PM
crankholio

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Nixhex
I didnt even know that an eccentric rear hub even existed....
White industries makes them: ENOWI ? White Industries

They use their own splined track cogs, which I honestly think is a better interface than thread-on.
Old 08-27-20, 08:28 PM
KenRick

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Senrab62
Track frames are great. I have a few. But conversions with horizontal/semi-horizontal dropouts are no harder to set up and usually come with multiple bottle bosses which you don't always find on track bikes. Also road conversion allow a greater flexibility of angles and ride characteristics. I don't find most (steel) conversions to be harder to build up than their track counterparts.
For road frame conversion, I've found chain stay clearance to be the biggest headache.
There is a lack of options for rear hubs with the correct road spacing, re-spacing the frame is a risk and possible with steel.
Then depending on what route you took, you have to worry about the chain-line alignment.
Vertical dropouts are most common with road frames, which would a certain adjustment on top of all the former. I could be missing a few other things as I haven't gotten that far personally.
Old 08-27-20, 08:54 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by KenRick
For road frame conversion, I've found chain stay clearance to be the biggest headache.
There is a lack of options for rear hubs with the correct road spacing, re-spacing the frame is a risk and possible with steel.
Then depending on what route you took, you have to worry about the chain-line alignment.
Vertical dropouts are most common with road frames, which would a certain adjustment on top of all the former. I could be missing a few other things as I haven't gotten that far personally.
Spacers? Two 3 or 5mm spacers per side. Easy peasy. Chainline is fine as track hubs are 42mm anyway. Only if you are reusing the road cranks would you have to play with BB width.

I have a 120mm hub on a 126mm spaced frame. Have been using track hub with spacers for hundreds of miles, no issues at all.
Old 08-27-20, 09:19 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
A real plus if you can find it is a bike with horizontal dropouts, ie the dropouts used before vertical dropouts became the standard. Makes pulling wheels out faster and easier. Also allows for fenders and no hassle wheel removal with the fenders on.

Now finding a frame with horizontal dropouts that is light and aero - well, good luck. I feel strongly enough about it that I had a titanium frame built with dropouts I spec'd. (Not aero but stiff and reasonably light.) I've been riding fix gears 40 years and have zero interest in ever owning a bike with track ends for road use. I now use flip-flop wheels and flip them often. (4 times last ride.)

Ben
Old 08-27-20, 09:50 PM
Nixhex

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
A real plus if you can find it is a bike with horizontal dropouts, ie the dropouts used before vertical dropouts became the standard. Makes pulling wheels out faster and easier. Also allows for fenders and no hassle wheel removal with the fenders on.

Now finding a frame with horizontal dropouts that is light and aero - well, good luck. I feel strongly enough about it that I had a titanium frame built with dropouts I spec'd. (Not aero but stiff and reasonably light.)
That's a great idea, although I think a custom frame is prob a bit spendy for what I can afford at the moment.

Also, anyone know of any triple triangle frames that are still available? All the ones I seem to come across are no longer being made.
Old 08-28-20, 09:43 AM
KenRick

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Senrab62
Spacers? Two 3 or 5mm spacers per side. Easy peasy. Chainline is fine as track hubs are 42mm anyway. Only if you are reusing the road cranks would you have to play with BB width.

I have a 120mm hub on a 126mm spaced frame. Have been using track hub with spacers for hundreds of miles, no issues at all.
I agree it's definitely do-able and the effort level will depend on the individual. Spacers? It was simple in theory but then most track hubs/wheel axle length is specific to 120mm. Now I would've had to buy a 126/130mm fitting axle, have all the right tools to remove the old axle/install new. All at expense of time/patience/money.
Cranks I'm aware a large option of 144bcd (track specific/common size) would not fit most road frame chain stay. Now I'm limited in the options of crankset to choose from. OP looking to build custom would mean having the most range of options is ideal rather than limiting off the bat to a small amount of crankset/hub type which would work.

My original post only mentioned my opinion which track is simpler to build up. I believe the average person doesn't have the tools at disposal/component knowledge to convert to road specific. It would save considerable amount of time and patience researching what would work. Or money if they take it to a professional/source tools/trial and error with cranksets/bb.
Old 08-31-20, 01:59 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by Nixhex
That's a great idea, although I think a custom frame is prob a bit spendy for what I can afford at the moment.

Also, anyone know of any triple triangle frames that are still available? All the ones I seem to come across are no longer being made.
Check out retro-gression.com to see a triple-triangle frame.

https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...ame-raw-flamed

You can reach out to Scrodzilla here to ask him for information on it. The one I saw had the "raw" look and you may or may not find that appealing.
Old 08-31-20, 02:45 PM
Nixhex

Originally Posted by TugaDude
Check out retro-gression.com to see a triple-triangle frame.

https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...ame-raw-flamed

You can reach out to Scrodzilla here to ask him for information on it. The one I saw had the "raw" look and you may or may not find that appealing.
Sweet mercy, that's a killer frame. Wow. Price isn't bad either.
Old 08-31-20, 02:50 PM
Nixhex

Also, I've been on the fence about track frame vs. road frame, but I happened to get on CL a few hours ago and found a 2015 Cannondale Super Six Evo carbon frame setup for Di2. So I literally just got back from picking that up for $240. Prob won't go full weight weenie on it, since I can't afford to, but it's certainly a nice light starting point.