Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why so much hate for Gatorskins?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why so much hate for Gatorskins?

Old 09-05-20, 01:35 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10147 Post(s)
Liked 5,840 Times in 3,144 Posts
Make of it what you will, but today I was passed by a group of very young elite juniors and one of them was on Gatorskins.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 09-05-20, 02:43 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
I was in a bike shop today and they had some Gatorskins (among others) in stock. I felt the Gator rubber, and it was *quite* sticky. It felt identical to the Ultra Sport. They had an old non-addix Pro One on display and the Pro One felt way, way harder than the Gatorskin.

So at least one of the following must be true:

1) continental changed the Gatorksin compound to something *way* softer (my current assumption)
2) The Gatorskins I had hardened up rapidly. Mine basically felt like plastic when I took them off (within about 6 months, stored indoors). I don't remember how they felt when new - but I definitely don't remember them being that soft.
3) I am crazy and the Gatorskins have always been a grippy tire with a pretty soft compound, and any memory I have of "plasticky" gators is just my delusion.
4) I am stupid and the Gators I felt in the bike shop today are actually quite hard and my sense of touch is crappy.

Any thoughts?
The hardness of the rubber will affect traction but not ride. It is the sidewalls that are the problem with gators not that the grip is any good either. I tossed a brand new one in the trash.
Old 09-05-20, 03:20 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Any proper fitting and working road tubeless with better crr than the Gator is a better solution.

I really don’t get the love.

MTB guys get it. Cross guys get it.

I would put a GP5000 tubeless with Orange Seal sealant up against a Gator with a butyl tube.

Whatever. It must be an old man fixed in your ways kind of thing.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 09-05-20, 03:21 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,985 Times in 4,452 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Make of it what you will, but today I was passed by a group of very young elite juniors and one of them was on Gatorskins.
It's not about the bike.
Old 09-05-20, 04:51 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I was in a bike shop today and they had some Gatorskins (among others) in stock. I felt the Gator rubber, and it was *quite* sticky. It felt identical to the Ultra Sport. They had an old non-addix Pro One on display and the Pro One felt way, way harder than the Gatorskin.

So at least one of the following must be true:

1) continental changed the Gatorksin compound to something *way* softer (my current assumption)
2) The Gatorskins I had hardened up rapidly. Mine basically felt like plastic when I took them off (within about 6 months, stored indoors). I don't remember how they felt when new - but I definitely don't remember them being that soft.
3) I am crazy and the Gatorskins have always been a grippy tire with a pretty soft compound, and any memory I have of "plasticky" gators is just my delusion.
4) I am stupid and the Gators I felt in the bike shop today are actually quite hard and my sense of touch is crappy.

Any thoughts?
Could be any of them except number 3; wifey had some from back in the day that I briefly entertained the notion of using for morning training - nope, too hard for that. Yes, they at least used to be a fairly hard, shiny, plasticky rubber, not at all soft.
Old 09-05-20, 04:52 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by big john
It's not about the bike.
If the bike's handing over 40-50w... it can be a little about the bike.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 09-05-20, 07:20 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I want to know how while being passed you can see what rotating tire is on somebody’s bike.

That’s real talent.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 09-05-20, 07:53 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10147 Post(s)
Liked 5,840 Times in 3,144 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I want to know how while being passed you can see what rotating tire is on somebody’s bike.

That’s real talent.
Caught up with them at a stop.
Old 09-05-20, 07:55 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Caught up with them at a stop.
I thought you'd just check out how much padding is in each rider's shorts.
Old 09-05-20, 07:57 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Any proper fitting and working road tubeless with better crr than the Gator is a better solution.

I would put a GP5000 tubeless with Orange Seal sealant up against a Gator with a butyl tube.

Listen here Sonny! Uh, I forgot what I was going to say next. Mother, where are my bifocals? Oh crud, I'm still wearing them? I've been using Gatorbacks on my IROC since the 80's.
Old 09-05-20, 08:03 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
He was riding his Dad’s wheels🤣🤣🤣
Old 09-05-20, 08:17 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Bontrager Hard-Case tires, while nothing great, are a MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT over Gatorskins, IMO.
Old 09-06-20, 04:20 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts

Lots just want a hassle free experience. No install issues, long wear life and riding in confidence that you wont flat or have to deal with sealant or bacon strips, or having to remove the tyre to patch from within does hold some attraction. Id ride GP5000s too, if I could just put them on and forget about them for the next two years.

Not to mention the wildly exaggerated claims that robust puncture protected tyres ride like frozen garden hoses. Its just not true. Maybe there is a slight difference at the same pressure, but you can lower it a bit to compensate and ANY tyre can ride like a block of ice, if you inflate it hard enough.

Im betting half the "haters" came from old school 90-100 psi 23-25 mm gators to 60-70 psi 28mm+ "some thing else" and made the false assumption that it was the make/model that made the difference and not the lower pressure. Just saying :-)
Old 09-06-20, 05:28 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Im betting half the "haters" came from old school 90-100 psi 23-25 mm gators to 60-70 psi 28mm+ "some thing else" and made the false assumption that it was the make/model that made the difference and not the lower pressure. Just saying :-)
Or people don't want to give up half a mile an hour on their average speed...
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 09-06-20, 05:43 AM
Racing Dan

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Or people don't want to give up half a mile an hour on their average speed...
That is not really an answer to what you quoted, but wanting to go faster on behalf on other attributes is just fine. There are pros and cons to all tyres, including price. However the hyperbole and nebulous claims are tiring and inaccurate.
Old 09-06-20, 09:09 AM
rubiksoval

That is not really an answer to what you quoted, but wanting to go faster on behalf on other attributes is just fine. There are pros and cons to all tyres, including price. However the hyperbole and nebulous claims are tiring and inaccurate.
It's definitely an answer and a huge reason (along with the terrible feel and grip) that contributes to its overall awfulness.

Except it's not hyperbole, nor is it nebulous. It's quite concise and clear. Its assertions like yours that attempt to negate not just the experiences of so many, but the actual science related to its rolling resistance that are so tiring and inaccurate.

Ride what you want, but don't pretend like everyone else is wrong.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 09-06-20, 10:28 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckles1
I've seen so many derogatory comments on these ... what's so bad about the Gatorskins that they inspire so much hate?
When I first saw the thread title I thought "What a silly thread, a tire can't possibly inspire hate." I guess I was wrong ...
Old 09-06-20, 10:29 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

It's definitely an answer and a huge reason (along with the terrible feel and grip) that contributes to its overall awfulness.

Except it's not hyperbole, nor is it nebulous. It's quite concise and clear. Its assertions like yours that attempt to negate not just the experiences of so many, but the actual science related to its rolling resistance that are so tiring and inaccurate.

It is stunning how many people double down on ignoring evidence and research.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 09-06-20, 10:39 AM
Stormy85

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Was looking to get Gatorskins but evt. decided for Continental Ultra Sport. Dont know exactly why but haven't had any issues.
Old 09-06-20, 01:24 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
1) continental changed the Gatorksin compound to something *way* softer
Originally Posted by popeye
The hardness of the rubber will affect traction but not ride. It is the sidewalls that are the problem with gators not that the grip is any good either. I tossed a brand new one in the trash.
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Could be any of them except number 3; wifey had some from back in the day that I briefly entertained the notion of using for morning training - nope, too hard for that. Yes, they at least used to be a fairly hard, shiny, plasticky rubber, not at all soft.
You know what. I visited the bike shop again today. Here's a video comparison of me sliding my thumb on the rubber with roughly equal force:

The Gators actually felt quite familiar. I don't think it's a new compound anymore. I'm changing my hypothesis from #1 to #2. Let's call it the garden hose hypothesis. The Gators are actually quite sticky and even somewhat supple out of the box. But the rubber compound rapidly hardens in the sun - just like a garden hose. Due to its vulcanized construction (as opposed to the open tubular type), this doesn't just affect the grip levels. It also makes the tire overall stiffer and slower. Which would explain a lot.

This makes the Gators seem even worse than I thought. They're not even designed to be that slow or hard. They're just so crappy that they degrade into the Gators we know and hate.

Last edited by smashndash; 09-06-20 at 01:29 PM.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 09-06-20, 01:25 PM
Racing Dan

What a BS answer. YOU were the one changing the subject from ride quality to speed in #164 and now reframing the references hyperbole (rides like a frozen garden hose) and nebulous from ride quality to speed, making me look like a fool. F U very much!

I even conceded in #165 that the gators are not fast. What more do you want ... Still you felt compelled to comment as if I denied it.

(please dont answer!)

Last edited by Racing Dan; 09-06-20 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-06-20, 01:32 PM
rubiksoval

What a BS answer. YOU were the one changing the subject from ride quality to speed in #164 and now reframing the references hyperbole (rides like a frozen garden hose) and nebulous from ride quality to speed, making me look like a fool. F U very much!

I even conceded in #165 that the gators are not fast. What more do you want ... Still you felt compelled to comment as if I denied it.

(please dont answer!)
Lol, wut? Is this your forum meltdown for the day?
Old 09-06-20, 01:35 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
So, to summarize after 171 posts:

- One troll likes Gatorskins.
- Nobody else does.

Draw your own conclusions.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Likes For sfrider:
Old 09-06-20, 01:54 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by sfrider
So, to summarize after 171 posts:

- One troll likes Gatorskins.
- Nobody else does.

Draw your own conclusions.
We have a troll in here?
Who knew?
Have we reached the end of this thread?
So many questions.
Old 09-06-20, 02:24 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Since going tubeless 18 months ago, I've had one flat(in about 20k miles).
Since switching to Mavic USTs.....2 years....no flats. I was skeptical but no longer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.